The next beer....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's what I've been tinkering with. Not sure about setting up properly but can play with hops/grains and see an idea of what it might be like.

As discussed:

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Bitterness (IBU): 36.1
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

4.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (92.98%)
0.340 kg Caramalt (7.02%)

10.0 g Zeus Leaf (16.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
15.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
20.0 g Amarillo Leaf (8.9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
20.0 g Citra Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes

5.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)
5.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil)
5.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

You could add IBU's with more Zeus. You could also use 1469 yeast, can get you some. It's lager coloured, you could add 40g Roast Barley just to darken it a bit.

Hopped up could be more late hops with same bitterness. Do you you want it very bitter? Or just big hop flavour/ aroma? Or both? I think below 30 is low bitterness, 30 to 40 is in the middle, 40+ is bitter. 60+ very bitter.

I've made 5 beers in total so no expert myself.

done 5 fermenting no. 6 atm , so we're about neck and neck.

I am a quick learner though and this 'internet thing gummy bob' has a wealth of advice to help cut down on newbie mistakes.

My brew no.2 I had to bottle using a jug! (was careful not to aerate when doing this)

Another 2 or 3 g of Zeus should sort the bitterness. Citra and Amarillo are worth trying on their own at some point. As is Centennial.

Citra, Amarillo and Centennial all get great reviews. Three fantastic USA hops, Simcoe is another, all different, all great on their own and work well in combinations too.

If I could keep a football squad of hops that I've brewed with in constant supply I reckon they'd be:

Team: Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus, First Gold, Northdown, Bobek, Green Bullet, Motueka, Nelson Sauvin.
Subs: Challenger, EKG, Aurora, Chinook, Northern Brewer, Brewer's Gold.

Difficult decisions though. The subs are all good enough for the team. But Challenger are a kind of EKG/Northdown substitute, EKG are close to First Gold, Aurora is like a higher alpha Bobek, Nothern Brewer was used to breed Northdown, Bobek and Aurora, and I find some similarity between Brewer's gold and Centennial (which was bred from Brewer's Gold), Centennial having more citrus and intensity.

Citra will do that in spades! Hence the name of course. So will Centennial and Amarillo, in different ways.

I've upped the IBU's, upped the Caramalt a bit and added some post boil Citra:

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.051
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.21 %
Colour (SRM): 9.7
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

4.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (91.09%)
0.400 kg Caramalt (8.1%)
0.040 kg Roasted Barley (0.81%)

14.0 g Zeus/Columbus Leaf (16.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
20.0 g Amarillo Leaf (8.9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Citra Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Citra Leaf (14.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

Latest posts

Back