The next beer....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I'm deffinately not an expert when it comes to hops but the citra ( and amirillo give an nice fruity flavour (citra at least)? Won't the roastyness of the roasted barley clash/swamp these flavours?

At only 2.4% maybe it's not enough too?

Now I'm deffinately not an expert when it comes to hops but the citra and amirillo give an nice fruity flavour (citra at least)? Won't the roastyness of the roasted barley clash/swamp these flavours?

I've no idea about hops or grains. I've just been messing around. Saw that hop combo in a drink I liked so just had a play and came up with that. So any suggestions on tweaking it are greatly appreciated.

Hope fully someone with more knowledge of hops will come along as I'm more interested in dark malt forward beers and tend to regard hops as a balance to the sweetness of malt rather than for there indicvidual flavours.

Roasted barley like the name suggests is quite roasty and I think citra and amarillo I quite delcate flavour hops so might not go with roastyness

I just put the roast barley in as have some about and it just makes it a bit darker in colour.

I've used black for colour alone but never R/B for colour alone. With black I used less than one percent so I could turn a pale ale into a golden ale. How dark are you thinking of going? The crystal will add colour too remember

Bungle what software is that? Is it for iPad? I'd like an iPad brewmate type thing but not sure which on App Store are any good.

It's called Beer smith. Not to sure about setting it up properly to what equipment I have but just allows to mess around with ingredients and have an idea of something maybe. Put it on here then for people to look at and tweak.

The recipe looks good to me. There are American stouts that use a lot of roasted malts with those kind of hops, I've made some myself. They are powerful enough to shine through a lot of roast flavour, and 2.4% isn't that much. Go for it, I'd say.

It will have a strong malty backbone with the Munich and the crystal, which should work well. And the roast barley will add some depth of flavour and probably give a nice red colour.

You like malty beers. So it should be fine. Munich provides a rich maltiness. Personally I'd reduce the Munich to around 10%, and leave the crystal alone. But you may well like the extra maltiness.

I've made 5 beers in total so no expert myself.

Neither am I. I do agree with the point MyQul is making.

I really like hoppy beers, they are usually labelled as IPA's these days.

And also Stouts and Porters, especially the ones with the roasted barley taste. This is one taste I would imagine to be one you either like or not, in a beer.

To find out whether you might be partial to a mixture of both, it might be an approach to do both, separately, and try a mix of a bottle of each.

Beersmith it is. I've got it on my android, and it's available for i devices. Costs about a fiver. Lets you tinker lots. I've yet to discover its full potential, but worth having a look at.

2.5% chocolate is not really a big deal. It's not going to interfere with the hop flavour IMO. 5% might, 8-10% would, but you might even like that. But you could play safe and drop to 100g chocolate.

Latest posts

Back