A blast from the past. (Favourite sweets when you were a kid)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about Cinder Toffee? It was a cheaper version of the stuff that they put inside Crunchie Bars.

A feature of Cinder Toffee was that if your Mum bought some for you and then put it in the pantry to be doled it out over a few days, it would always get damp; and then it was like chewing a sweet semi-elastic breeze block!

PS

Ever stroked the back of a mates "short-back-and-sides" with a lump of coke?

Try it sometime. The results are brilliant. :lol:

Anyone remember these?

candy_watch__67010.jpg

used to end up tasting of the elastic also pretty good as a projectile aswell

All these old sweets and no sign of Pacers my fave chewy sweet. Would do anything for a bag of Tudor too. My grandpa called sweets bags of Ket, which I think is northeast for ****.

@greenmantle is that name a reference to Charles De Lint's Book with that title, if so love his work it's great. Used to prefer the old fashioned sweets, still occassionally buy spearmint chews and the odd cola cube. Used to love pear drops.

How about Cinder Toffee? It was a cheaper version of the stuff that they put inside Crunchie Bars.

A feature of Cinder Toffee was that if your Mum bought some for you and then put it in the pantry to be doled it out over a few days, it would always get damp; and then it was like chewing a sweet semi-elastic breeze block!

PS

Ever stroked the back of a mates "short-back-and-sides" with a lump of coke?

Try it sometime. The results are brilliant. :lol:

What happens with the short back and sides and lump of coke?? I gotta know!!

What happens with the short back and sides and lump of coke?? I gotta know!!

The holes in the coke allow the short hairs to go into them but they don't like letting go!

Only a few hairs get caught but it feels as if a lump of hair has been ripped out.

This is what us old folk mean when we say "We had to make our own fun in those days." ... :thumb:

... unfortunately, maiming a few of your mates was part of the "fun". :whistle:

PS

I well remember the first kid I saw a couple of years ago with a pattern shaved into his head.

I actually thought "Poor little bugger. I haven't seen a case of ringwork for ages!" before realising that it was actually a modern haircut! :lol:

YOU end up with a black eye, that's what!

Ah! Presumably the short hairs get stuck in the coke's pores and pulls them out in a most painful manner! Think I might have escaped with my life - was going to try it on a real 'hammer' at work!

@Tau The name Greenmantle is inspired by a brew made by broughton brewery and was the name of the local pub before it closed. Think it's also a John buchan novel.

Back