Transferring to a corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutley

Reaction score
Hi, I'm doing an AG London pride tomorrow which I've done before, bottled it and it turned out great. This time I want to batch prime it, leave it in a pressure barrel and then transfer it into a corny ( I'm not a fan of force carbonating tbh)
Would this be ok? If so how long in the barrel before putting it in the corny or is it messing about too much with the beer?
Any advice much appreciated :-)

It will work to a degree; but there are things to consider.
There is always a risk of introducing an infection when transferring and no matter how careful you are, you will introduce oxygen to the beer which will make it go stale quicker. You will also knock out some of the CO2 during transfer.

What is your issue with force carbonation??

If you really want to go with your idea; prime the keg and allow the beer to carbonate. Then get the keg as cold as you can.....as close to zero degrees as possible. This will get more of the CO2 in to solution and help it stop coming back out when you syphon.
Be scrupulous with sanitation and avoid splashing wherever possible; also, put a blast of CO2 in to the corny before transfer to purge as much air as possible.

Thanks for your advice, I've never got forced carbonation right. It's always come out far too lively. I know you can keep releasing the pressure to correct this but also I don't like the sediment in the bottom of the keg. I just want to try this to see how it goes. How long in the keg before transferring do you think?

I would rack straight to corny. In the pb it will carb. Transfer will then froth and subject the beer oxidation.

Well changed my mind & have just done a fullers ESB, it's in the fv & I'm going to have a crack at forced carbonation again when it's ready, any advice on what pressure and for how long please anybody?

Latest posts

Back