Rhubarb

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickettwayne

Reaction score
Hello all,

After doing much reading and having a whole heap of rhubarb to use I have decided to make some wine.

Now this is the first time I am attempting this and I have found a recipe list that contain the following:
- 1.5kg rhubarb
- 1.3kg sugar
- 250ml white grape juice concentrate
- 1 sachet general purpose white wine yeast
- 1 tsp yeast nutrient

Now I have the rhubarb, sugar and I have just purchased Yeast Nutrient Wine.

The below is what I have just got.

images

My question is do I need the other stuff? Such as white grape juice concentrate and white wine yeast?

Also, if anyone has done this mixture before could you provide me with the instructions to do it as I have searched this and there seems to be a number of variations on what to do.

My question is do I need the other stuff? Such as white grape juice concentrate and white wine yeast?

I found this recipe and it says "You may add 250ml wine concentrate in place of 125g or 1/4lb sugar" so i guess its optional, it also does not specify a type of yeast so assume a general purpose one will be fine, i have always used youngs super wine yeast compound in my juice wines and they never fail.

youngs-super-yeast-compound-60g-338-p.jpg

Rhubarb Wine Making Recipe

Rhubarb Wine Making Recipe is best made in May from young fresh rhubarb, stalks only, not the leaves

1250g/ 3lb Rhubarb,

yeast,

1250g /3lb Sugar,

yeast nutrient,

4.5 litres / 1 gallon water

You may add 250ml wine concentrate in place of 125g or 1/4lb sugar

Chop the rhubarb into a fermenting bucket, sprinkle all the sugar on top and cover, leave for 24 hours

Strain off any juice into a demi john, add some warm water to the pulp, stir and strain juice into a demi john, with a little more water rinse out any remaining sugar add to rest of the juice, make up to 1 gallon mark with wine concentrate if using and water

Add yeast and yeast nutrient, fit an airlock and ferment in a warm place

When bubbling ceases or hydrometer readng is 1.000 or below, syphon into a clean demi john and move to a cool place leave wine to clear

When clear, bottle and store

Thanks for the reply. Quick update. I started fermenting last week and keep checking for bubbles in the air lock but still nothing. I jave checked the liquid and theres like a foam across the top and it does smell like it should.... I think. It seems that there may be a leak somewhere in my breing tub. Is tjere a way to sort this so i can see the bubbles during the fermentation? As i dont have a hydrometer not sure when to put it in demijohns. Thanks.

Ah ok. Thought i could do it without one. Once i get it. Do i need to keep checking it till reaches 1 and then its ok to bottle? Sorry if the questions seem a bit stupid.. Very new to brewing.

Leave to ferment at a temperature between 20-27°C for about 5 to 14 days or until your hydrometer is showing the fermentation has finished. A constant cool temperature is much better than one that fluctuates. The fermentation time will depend on the room temperature and the initial starting gravity. 5 to 14 days is just a guide. The slower the fermentation the better the cider will taste. It is really important not to exceed 27°C.

When the fermentation has finished (the gravity reading on the hydrometer will be the same for a few days and will be under 1000 SG) siphon off the yeast into another clean sterilised container.

For Flat Cider: Adding Stabiliser/Preservative and Clearing

When the fermentation has finished we recommend that you add one Campden Tablet per 5 litres (1 gallon) and one gram per 5 litres (1 gallon) of Potassium Sorbate. This will help prevent infection and from restarting to ferment.

The cider should then be degassed (stirred vigorously to remove the carbon dioxide given off during fermentation). We would then suggest adding Kwik Clear (two part wine finings which contain Gelatine and Kieselsol) to clear the cider. Once clear, siphon off the sediment, and leave in glass containers. Make sure the containers are full and have no air space at the top which can cause infection. Taste it and if it's young and a bit sharp then leave it to mature. Ideally you should fit a safety stopper to the container to allow for any breathing. After one month we suggest you have a taste. If the cider is maturing well then leave (if it's thrown sediment, which is likely you might want to rack the sediment into a clean sterilised container and top up with cold water). At this stage it might be a good idea to sweeten the cider which is most likely, you should use our Acesulphame K sweetener (as these are non fermentable sweeteners). Alternatively you can use granulated sugar or purchase Sucralose from a supermarket (which is an artificial non fermentable sweetener but it must be Sucralose).

Some people like to keep the cider as natural as possible so don't like to add Stabiliser, Campdens and finings but from our experiences this will help protect the cider from oxidising and prevent any refermenting. It will also allow you to add sugar to sweeten. If you don't want to add the Stabiliser, Campden, and finings then should you wish to sweeten the cider which is most likely, then we would suggest you should use our Acesulphame K sweetener (as these are non fermentable sweeteners). Alternatively you can purchase Sucralose from a supermarket (which is an artificial non fermentable sweetener but it must be Sucralose).

For Sparkling Cider: After Fermentation

We would recommend that you siphon the cider into a clean, sterilised container. You can now add any necessary adjustments like extra acid or sweetener. Use malic acid to increase the acidity (will give the cider a sharper taste), and use Acesulphame K sweetener, as this is non fermentable. Alternatively you can purchase sucralose from supermarkets but only buy this brand. Don't add more sugar as this will ferment.

Once you are happy with the taste you may bottle your cider. If this is a short term (say you are keeping this 4-6 weeks) then clear PET plastic bottles (the type lemonade, coke etc comes in) are fine. If it's more than this then use green or brown PET bottles, beer bottles or grolsch style bottles. This is essential as the green/brown lining prevents the transmission of UV light which will ruin your cider over time.

Transfer the cider into the bottle and add one rounded teaspoon of sugar per litre for a slight sparkle and two rounded teaspoons per litre for a more heavily carbonated drink. Seal the bottles and transfer to a warm place for 3 to 4 days (this will give you a secondary fermentation) and then move to a cool place for storage. If the cider has been stabilised or preserved then this will prevent the option of a secondary fermentation.

Sweetening the Cider and Pouring

Nearly all commercial ciders are fermented using additional sugar which gives it a sweet taste when drunk. The chances are you cider will be very dry (and can seem undrinkable) unless you add sweeteners we recommend. This is quite natural. When you open the bottles you will need to poor the cider carefully so as not to disturb the sediment which will be thrown.

Enjoy your cider!

Back