Vacuum Packed Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyn2001

Reaction score
Am I right in saying that hops should contain some oils? So, when you open a vacuum pack they shouldn't be bone dry?

I have just chucked two packs of Citra, I hope I didn't make a bad decision. They were just so dry.

Does it depend on the hop variety?

They will be dry. The oils are there, but only released when boiled. Sorry to say you made a bad decision!

Other packs I open there is moisture in the hops, that made me worry that these were not very fresh???

Generally they're hard packed down and seem dry, but swell up when boiled. I suspect the ones that were more moist were the exception. Did they smell ok?

That was the other thing, they had a light smell, not a strong smell, my apollo hops were wow, these were, oh, is that it!

I've been brewing for 3 years, and this is the first time I thought, these hops are not right....often they are moist and have a strong aroma, even when vacuum packed. I think I made the right decision, I just need to tell the shop I bought them from no, as they had a use by date of Jan 2016!

Ok, so If you've been brewing for that long then your instincts are probably right. I've only ever encountered pretty dry flaky looking hops though!

Latest posts

Back