Any kits out there similar to Irish ales?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Born again brewer
Reaction score
Are there any kits out there that would be similar to the Irish ales. I know a lot use nitrogen for the smoothness. But there must be something out there in the region of cafferys, Kilkenny or Murpheys red.

So any suggestions?

Thanks, not really what I was looking for, was really looking for a kit, and no messing with grains.

Why not? Steeping 150g of crystal and roast barley for 20 mins and then boiling the liquid to sterilize it is no hassle. And it will improve the beer flavour and aroma and the head on any kit beer.

Personal preference tbh, I don't want to be messing about with grains, and it's not really answering my original question.

Just trying to help - I doubt you will get what you want from a kit, unless it's just the nitrogen affect that attracts you. In which case, it's mainly about the kegging and gassing, which is what those beers are really all about. I love Ireland and have visited often, but beer is the main problem with being there IMO!

At a guess, outside of Ireland, Irish red ales are a bit niche. As most kits are made by small number of manufacturers (despite having differet brand names on them) there going to want to sell high volumes.
I used to work in the biggest Irish pub in London and for a while they had Guinness red on draught but it didn't sell that well so they stopped selling it

Doing a bit of a google, I came across this one. Irish Ale made in Poland :-D:lol::lol:

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/gozdawa-irish-red-ale-4-kg-beer-kit-4772-p.asp

I

Thanks for the advice, and I do appreciate what you're saying, but grain holds no interest for me at the moment, even if it's the simplest process going. Think of brewing from grain as being like dog ownership, some people want a dog they can work with, and many are happy just to own a pet. If it works for you and achieves what you need then it's the right choice.

As for the kit in Poland, I'll have a look. Thanks

Thanks for the advice, and I do appreciate what you're saying, but grain holds no interest for me at the moment, even if it's the simplest process going. Think of brewing from grain as being like dog ownership, some people want a dog they can work with, and many are happy just to own a pet. If it works for you and achieves what you need then it's the right choice.

Absolutely, we all have different requirements. But the serving method will be a big factor for you if you want to replicate Caffreys, Kilkenny etc. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back