Lemon wine recipe for a noob?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venusbloo

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just coming back into the homebrew world and I want to make a lemon wine-from fruit.
Has anyone got a good recipe?
Thanks in advance.

Hi hope this helps got it from my grandad years ago but still tastes gr8 ! the longeru leave it t better

You need:
6 medium sized lemons
1/2 lb raisins (225g)
4 lbs sugar (1.8kg)
1 tsp dried yeast (30g)
1tsp yeast nurtrient
1 gallon of water (4 litres)
(eight or even ten lemons may be used if a stronger taste required)
Method:
Grate all lemons and put them aside. Halve the lemons and squeeze the juice into one gallon of boiling water.
When the water boils again, cut off the heat at once. Pour the hot liquid over the sugar and stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
Cut up the raisins and add these to the liquid. Then add the lemon rind and allow the brew to cool. When cool Sprinkle the yeast and yeast nutrient on top and stir in. Cover and ferment for 14 days after which you strain and rack in to demijohn. Leave it for one to three months and enjoy (in moderation... this has quite a kick).

Thanks for the recipe, this looks like just the thing I am after, I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Not exactly from fruit, but Google Skeeter pee, the predominant ingredient is lemon juice, so it might be of interest.

If you have done any reading about skeeter pee you will quickly realize the hardest part about making it is getting it to start. If you make a typical starter or simply pitch the dry yeast directly in to the must the acids from the lemon and the preservatives (sodium benzoate, sodium metabisulfite, and sodium sulfate)slow down the yeast and it can take a week or better before it really starts to take off.

Another solution that is common practice among skeeter pee makers is to simply make the skeeter pee or SP on top of the lees from a previous batch of wine. This is highly effective, however has two drawbacks, first it means you can only make SP when you have just finished another wine or cider, and two if the "starter wine" had any color to it (like a red) those colors can muddy the SP.

More here - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=310979

Hi hope this helps got it from my grandad years ago but still tastes gr8 ! the longeru leave it t better

You need:
6 medium sized lemons
1/2 lb raisins (225g)
4 lbs sugar (1.8kg)
1 tsp dried yeast (30g)
1tsp yeast nurtrient
1 gallon of water (4 litres)
(eight or even ten lemons may be used if a stronger taste required)
Method:
Grate all lemons and put them aside. Halve the lemons and squeeze the juice into one gallon of boiling water.
When the water boils again, cut off the heat at once. Pour the hot liquid over the sugar and stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
Cut up the raisins and add these to the liquid. Then add the lemon rind and allow the brew to cool. When cool Sprinkle the yeast and yeast nutrient on top and stir in. Cover and ferment for 14 days after which you strain and rack in to demijohn. Leave it for one to three months and enjoy (in moderation... this has quite a kick).

Hi there,

I'm also very new here and would love to try this.

I've tried a couple of the Wilkos kits and they've gone fine, also tried a another kit which wet wrong but managed to correcting eventually. Looking at trying some that aren't kits and this seems like an easy start.

Do you not need to have any stabiliser or fining? Or will this do it itself?

Thanks,
Anthony

Sounds GREAT - added to my 'to do' list. Thanks for the share. The fact it come from someone's granddad makes it all the more appealing.

I'll post again when I have made it.

I made my first Lemon Wine today using the recipe from this thread.

Ready to go...
100_0697-295.jpg

Lemons grated...
100_0700-296.jpg

Lemons cut and ready to squeeze...
100_0701-297.jpg

Chopped raisins, sugar and lemon rind ready to go...
100_0702-298.jpg

Lemon juice and water cooling after boiling...
100_0703-299.jpg

All the ingredients combined and yeast added...
100_0704-300.jpg

After two weeks in the fermenting bucket I transferred and strained the lemon wine into a clean demijohn.

100_0724-401.jpg

I was concerned that in the entire two weeks I didn’t see a single bubble from the airlock but I suspected this would be the result of air leaking from elsewhere around the seal of the bucket rather than inactive fermentation. I checked a week in and heard a fizzing sound so knew something was happening.

When I transferred to the demijohn I checked the gravity and it had moved from the OG of 1110 to 1058 yesterday. There are also some slow bubbles appearing the in the airlock in the Demijohn.

It was still quite sweet tasting with a slight alcohol taste to it so it seems ok so far. Not flying away but fermenting none-the-less so we shall see what happens.

Totally off topic but i am interested, how many bottles of wine do you have?
At this point... ...none!

They are in various stages of fermentation.

img-20150822-00027-236.jpg

Some of the wines I had on the go a few weeks ago.​

I do have about 40ish gallons of Robinson's fruit punch ready for drinking of course and about 12 litres of Fiery Ginger beer conditioning in bottles.

My signature shows what I am up to at the moment.

I have plenty of wines on the go so will be looking toward beers more in the next few months although for some reason I fancy making a corn wine of some kind, don't ask me why, it just popped into my head as something I might fancy making. Also a rice wine sounds interesting too. Of course my blackberry wine will be started soon as I now have enough blackberries picked from my back garden.

As for beers, I wanted to start my Bulldog Yule Brew this weekend but I've been out for the count with manflu so this might be started next weekend when, with luck, I will also be bottling my first Coopers stout. :)

'Old Tart' Lemon Wine is now ready. 10.5% on this medium sweet wine. Suitable for desserts or for light drinkies on a summer's evening in the garden.

12636889_10201314554183619_862254429_o-457.jpg

you mention wheat wine and rice wine, I've got the two together with a wheat n rice wine on the go its almost finished fermenting now.

Hi fatDad,
I've used those plastic fermenting Demijohn, you said you didn't see any bubbles going through the air lock, I had the same problem! I don't think these Demijohn seal properly so I've stopped using them, what's your thoughts.

Rikki, country winemaker

Back