Plastic Swing Tops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfacrem

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm a fan of bottling with swing tops. For me, they make bottling that little bit easier, more expensive, yes, but I'm happy to pay a little more for them.

I've been a little disappointed that on a couple of batches, the most recent received today, the swing tops have been plastic, rather than ceramic. I've sent an email to the brew shop I bought them from asking for them to be swapped, so I'll give them an opportunity to respond, however just a note to anyone looking to buy swing tops (I recommend them, the glass is excellent) if you're as picky as me, look for bottles advertised as having ceramic tops.

I'd be very careful of the plastic ones.
We stock some, but they are not suitable for pressurised liquids (beer, cider, etc.), but usually used for oils and vinegars etc.
Not only are the caps and cages weaker, but the glass is considerably thinner...

The metal cages are the same, as are the bottles themselves (nice and heavy glass) however, having weighed both stoppers, the ceramic tops are 28g and the plastic ones just 18g, which must convert into extra downward pressure for the heavier ones?

I've got some spare ceramic stoppers (which I bought from the same brew shop, hence my assuming the bottles would come with the ceramic ones as standard), so I'll use them and hope the brew shop comes back to me with an offer to swap, which I'm sure they will, as service from them has always been excellent.

Back