Ace Boiler packed in? Thinking of a Grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrannBrew

Damo Brann
Reaction score
Saturday did another brew on my ace boiler/mash tun. Its the very basic model, bought a two years ago.

download.jpg

It however tripped my house twice, I think I know why as it did this once when I lived in a flat. Basically I think it happened when I turned the power up on it prior to turning it on, which probably caused a surge when I did turned the unit back on. Also when I moved the unit the base/element seems to leak abit, or the tap at the point it connects to the outer wall of the unit.

Also the leaf hops I used blocked the tap so I ended up lifting and pouring the wort into the fermenter directly from the kettle, alittle hop debree went in but not too much.

I've now lost abit of faith in the unit. Im sure it'll still be ok for something simple like a sparge water heater though. Its always been abit of a compromise with the unit as at the time I probably was just trying to find something cheap to make do.

What I now am looking at is a grainfather, One question I have is I now brew in the garage and I would presume that the cold hose for the chiller isnt going to be long enough to connect to my kitchen tap/outside tap, could you use a standard garden hose reel to link the grainfather chiller to the outside tap?

I am not sure of the connections but if this will work that is great. As i doubt I could lift the grainfather with wort like I can the ace boiler.

Also what are there recommended accessories when buying one, Ive read that the hop spider and the SS spoon as well as the cleaner are key accessories but is there anything else that Id need to look for?

I've recently bought a grainfather, I've done about 4 brews. It's great.
I'd suggest buying a foodsafe hose as used by caravanners, I think you would be able to make a standard hose connector fit, and run the hot "out pipe" into a fermenter or 2.

You would definitely not want to move the Grainfather while full of wort, as there are no lifting handles, it's hard enough to lift it empty ( they have clips on top to hold down the alembic still thingy, I lift it using these). I'd like to see handles added, that would be a big improvement.

I will say that my brew days are a lot quicker and easier, and my lowest brewhouse efficiency is 78%+ my last was 83%.
If you have the funds available I would say go for it, you won't regret it.

Also, I have the hop spider, but I prefer to throw the hops in free. I only use leaf hops and have had no trouble draining, although it slows the flow a little; which helps with chilling for me. I get it below 20% in less than half an hour.
Incidently the hops have a filtering effect, so the wort goes into the FV nice and clear.

Last edited:
I use a garden hose to connect to my Grainfather,, although I need to use a little clamp to keep the two fittings connected, the unit came with a range of fittings, one should fit.

I would definitely recommend an SS paddle, I bought a cheap Chinese one from ebay, for about half the price of the GF one. I was given a complementary tub of GF cleaner, which I am still using. There is another brand of cleaner that you can use, think it's cheaper, but can't remember the name of the top of my head. Don't have a hop spider, I try to use leaf hops where possible, as recommended. I was advised that the hop spider is a pain in the hindquarters to clean.

I have considered buying the graincoat (good for brewing in low temperatures) and the micro pipework (for making smaller or weaker batches).

You may want to re-purpose your Ace boiler as an HLT for heating your sparge water, but keep an eye on your electric supply

thank you all for your early comments, If i got a hop spider i probably could position it under the re circulation pipe to help hop utilization, I used a large hop bag (before reusing the grain basket) that filled the ace but that was nightmare to clean, so not too worried about the cleaning of the hop spider. I could always re purpose my current grain basket as a hop filter but I wouldnt know if it would fit in the grain father (because of the pump filter).
I just saw the post on the sale page. I do however like the idea of a brand new version. Using my ace as HLT (remembering the knack not to trip the power)
Just did a bit of a google and I can get mash paddle, GF cleaner, new model GF, hop spider for 730.90 from home-brew-hopshop .
If only this brew day happened a few weeks ago as there was some crazy deals on a GF.
I haven't but may save some money I would spend on brew days and wait a few months, maybe see if there is a black friday deal. I say this but in a few months once I drink my Black IPA i'll probably be wanting to get it.

The ace only comes with a couple of rubber washers which is woefully inadequate. Mine used to leak all the time until i used an m20 and m27 SS washer and a silicone o ring to fix it. If its tripping out could well be the water dripping inside. Not much to go wrong on them. Even if you get a GF you still need to fix the tap. I found bazooka to be next to useless and now use nut milk bags for my hops and no filters. Never had a problem since. Also the bag that comes with the ace is too fine, i bought a bigger bag and all those drainage mash problems went away.

thank you all for your early comments, If i got a hop spider i probably could position it under the re circulation pipe to help hop utilization,

I did this but the hop spider filled up with wort and left the level in the boiler too low. That's why I prefer not to use it. I didn't find it hard to clean though.

If
The ace only comes with a couple of rubber washers which is woefully inadequate. Mine used to leak all the time until i used an m20 and m27 SS washer and a silicone o ring to fix it. If its tripping out could well be the water dripping inside. Not much to go wrong on them. Even if you get a GF you still need to fix the tap. I found bazooka to be next to useless and now use nut milk bags for my hops and no filters. Never had a problem since. Also the bag that comes with the ace is too fine, i bought a bigger bag and all those drainage mash problems went away.
You don't mind me being a bit thick, which washer would you both at which side of the ball valve? I looked at mine this evening and I have a metal nut and silicone washer inside the unit and some silicone thing on the outside, I wouldn't really call it a washer.

If

You don't mind me being a bit thick, which washer would you both at which side of the ball valve? I looked at mine this evening and I have a metal nut and silicone washer inside the unit and some silicone thing on the outside, I wouldn't really call it a washer.

Not at all. Will take it apart for a clean and take a photo as cant remember of the top of my head.

I like the GF threads and the should I or shouldn't I dilemma...the op has already made his mind up by the end of his post...it's for the other half really...

Not at all. Will take it apart for a clean and take a photo as cant remember of the top of my head.
Hi would it be something like this setup for the tap/ New Washers.

I really would ideally like and have wanted a GF/BM ever since ive taken to the hobby more seriously, however I am my fathers son and don't feel comfortable with myself spending that amount of money on something, you never know what will come around the corner on something more domestic/house related.
The wife is not an issue, we have this unwritten rule if you really want something to just get it, she is a slight moral angel on my shoulder at times with the cost of some of the homebrew equipment though but just to think about something of do you really need it rather than wanting it.

Ive also remembered what I use to use for the hop filtering before the metal rim around the top broke through making it not having any structural support.
I like most people I expect don't want to throw money at a problem only to find that something else is the problem or it doesn't fix the issue.
I did finally hone into my brew days going 3 recent without any issues and making one of my best beers I've done last time out.

Attachments

• 2-piece-12-weldless-tap-kit.jpg
    2-piece-12-weldless-tap-kit.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 82
You can use a standard hose to run the chiller on the Grainfather as the water run through it never comes into contact with the beer. I do this with a short section of pipe with standard Hozelock connectors but they do leak a bit. For me that's fine as I brew on the patio but if you're indoors you'll want to find a better connection. As others have said, there's a range of connectors in the box.

I also use a hop spider for hop pellets. It gets very sludgy and I much prefer using leaf hops. I only use pellets when I order grain and hops using the recipe builder at Maltmiller and other sites. Your idea of putting the hop spider under the re-circulation pipe wouldn't really work as you don't recirculate during the boil.

I'm happy using the plastic spoon I've always used to stir things. I also have the micro pipework which is useful for small batches but if you want to get that you could always do it later. As others have said, you can't lift the Grainfather when full of wort. I actually heat my sparge water before the brew session, putting it in a spare FV. I have the lift the unit to pour the last couple of litres out and that's not to bad but there are no lifting handles, you have to get a hand underneath and one at the top.

I use the normal Grainfather cleaner but I've heard of others using PBW

I use nothing on the outside. Inside there is just this. m20 washer closest to centre of boiler. Then an O ring and thgen an m27 washer.

Attachments

• DSC_0320.JPG
    DSC_0320.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0317.JPG
    DSC_0317.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0319.JPG
    DSC_0319.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 63
Thanks beercat, I'll look into getting them to sort the tap out.
Regarding the hop spider, the last brew I did had 137g pellets before dry hopping, if I got the airation tool would that alone be good enough.

I'll have to get something for when I do my sweet Stout (as it has coaco nibs and coffee) but for day one I'd like to get the things that would help more during the first few brews. As i would probably brew my saison 1st on it

SO...Ive come to tally up the cost + accessories and its either Homebrew company (that offers free sterilizer and mash kit) and malt miller that the base price is cheaper but doesn't offer the 5% discount and the free kit. I wondered if anyone's used Homebrew company? how is their delivery (considering Ive had no issues with MM) Also has anyone tried their kits in the GF - rather not have the recipe kit and encounter issues involving with a fine grain crush on my 1st brew. Obviously that also could happen with MM if I use one of my own recipes too. Just wanted to see peoples POV on Homebrew company.

Hi,
I bought one off them a few weeks ago and went for the tallicherry Saison which I brewed Sunday. When I ordered they had 5% off plus the 5% forum discount. The cleaner included was the proper grainfather one too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks, I was going to get it from malt miller but even the 5% makes homebrew company the place to go. I too was thinking of doing a Belgium type beer especially in the current climate.
What carrier did they send it by?

I own a Robobrew v3 and it's an ace piece of kit. I saw the link below earlier today and it's a pretty good deal:

https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/robobrew-v3-all-grain-brewing-system-with-pump-35l

This outfit are offerring a 10% discount (use the code: ROBOBREWLAUNCH10), so it comes in at £360 which is around half the price of the Grainfather. If you're one of the first ten customers, then you also get an insulating jacket for the unit and a hop-spider for free! It also comes with a 1 year warranty. It does the same job as a Grainfather and I can't fault it.

Very happy with my Robobrew and would buy another tomorrow should it ever pack up.

:cheers7:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back