All grain all included Starter kit needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always add a mash tun and just use the boiler for boiling the wort.

If you already have the FV, hydrometer etc that every kit brewer has, all you need is an electric boiler (my Ace 30L boiler cost £80 something) and a BIAB bag (think it was about £11). The Homebrew Company do some seriously good all grain kits for under £20. That's all you need. Next step is to buy the ingredients in bulk which halves the cost. You could switch to the mash tun style at a later date if you wanted, but your beer won't be any better.:lol:
I let mine cool naturally. Yes I know that might affect later hop editions but I'm not that keen on beer that smells like a bunch of flowers.

You do know this seriously effects your late hop additions, don't you?

Only in vague terms and only very recently (ie I read something that I didn't quite get about it on another thread), I'm just working on the "it's what I used to do" method and never got a bad beer.

Only in vague terms and only very recently (ie I read something that I didn't quite get about it on another thread), I'm just working on the "it's what I used to do" method and never got a bad beer.

You won't get a bad beer but no -chill effects hop utilisation - more bitter beer. and flavour/aroma additions - little to non if you just add them doing a normal hop schedule.

I think I might write a guide on this as we seem to have an increasing amount on no-chillers on the forum

I think I might write a guide on this as we seem to have an increasing amount on no-chillers on the forum

It would certainly be appreciated, In the brews I have done so far (in my split career) I have only added hops either at the start of the boil, for the last 15 mins or stuck a muslin bag in the FV once the brew has cooled. But as I am looking towards APA's in the not too distant future I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more.

Thanks

A

I know you don't want to use your cooker but have you checked out Clibit's excellent Simplified All Grain for beginners?

I'm onto my 5th brew now but my first was following that guide. A fellow member gave me a boiler but I've just purchased things as I need them.

Very very tempted by the boiler and chiller recommended above as a birthday purchase.

However SWMBO hates the malty smell from the local brewery. Am I opening myself to grief every brew day if I bite the bullet?
We have a 5 litre pan is that big enough for the simple AG receipe as a tester of how much malt smell permeates the house?
Would it be possible to make a wort in a 5 litre pan and dilute (like with a kit) to make a bigger batch?

Very very tempted by the boiler and chiller recommended above as a birthday purchase.

However SWMBO hates the malty smell from the local brewery. Am I opening myself to grief every brew day if I bite the bullet?
We have a 5 litre pan is that big enough for the simple AG receipe as a tester of how much malt smell permeates the house?
Would it be possible to make a wort in a 5 litre pan and dilute (like with a kit) to make a bigger batch?

If SWMBO doesn't like the smell you have a few options

1) brew when she is out, she might only freak at the mess anyway
2) brew outside gas and burner you wont need to vent the smells and clean up is perhaps a bit easier.

Yes, it's possible to make a concentrated wort and dilute it down to make a bigger batch. My regular brewdays I collect 17Lwort and dilute down to 23L but I've been experimenting with overnight mashing recently which seems to be extremely efficient. My last overnight mash brew I collected 6L and diluted down to 20L

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54796

Yes, it's possible to make a concentrated wort and dilute it down to make a bigger batch. My regular brewdays I collect 17Lwort and dilute down to 23L but I've been experimenting with overnight mashing recently which seems to be extremely efficient. My last overnight mash brew I collected 6L and diluted down to 20L

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54796

I've been following it (and debating whether I need the wort chiller). Thanks for potentially paving the way.

You won't get a bad beer but no -chill effects hop utilisation - more bitter beer. and flavour/aroma additions - little to non if you just add them doing a normal hop schedule.

I would appreciate that. Made a wort chiller but need a new hose and connections before i can try it and has to be used outside.

I'm thinking it might be cheaper to put all your kit together seperately drawing on the knowledge of forum members.

When I first started brewing I bought a Coopers starter kit. If I had come to the forum first I could have robably put everything I needed together for much less than the 70 quid I paid
I've just bought that Kit from Tesco Direct using boost vouchers. Not sure I like the idea of PET bottles but at least I'll have a FV , and hydrometer too ready for when I eventually get a Grainfather or BM.

Pet bottles are fine and a lot less hassle and safer to keep clean and store/move about, and no faffing with crown cappers etc.
That is, of course, unless you like to present your beer in a lovely glass bottle with a carefully written/typed label to impress your friends.
I personally like to brew good beer and drink it :drink:

Pet bottles are fine and a lot less hassle and safer to keep clean and store/move about, and no faffing with crown cappers etc.
That is, of course, unless you like to present your beer in a lovely glass bottle with a carefully written/typed label to impress your friends.
I personally like to brew good beer and drink it :drink:
Thanks Redron, PET looks like the way to go then. After all, I will be pouring the beer into a glass so as long as there is no risk of oxygen going in or CO2 out over time it definitely is the best option.

Latest posts

Back