All grain build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick9one1

Reaction score
I've been extract brewing for some time and would really like to get into all grain.

I've done a fair bit of reading but do still have a few questions.

I'm going to be using kegs as my vessels, as I already have a 58 litre (the standard size).

I've been offered a number of smaller 30 litre kegs, (pony kegs?) with A-type connectors. would these be suitable for anything? I presume my brew will depend on the size of my smallest keg, which will be 30 litre. Is this too small for AG?

Thanks!

I've been extract brewing for some time and would really like to get into all grain.

I've done a fair bit of reading but do still have a few questions.

I'm going to be using kegs as my vessels, as I already have a 58 gallon (the standard size).

I've been offered a number of smaller 30gal kegs, (pony kegs?) with A-type connectors. would these be suitable for anything? I presume my brew will depend on the size of my smallest keg, which will be 30 gallon. Is this too small for AG?

Thanks!

Do you mean gallons or litres?!

Not a problem, just thought 30 gallon vessels would certainly be ok for AG! Mind you, so will 30 litres. Recipes can be scaled in size to determine the size of the final brew length required, have a look at clibits simple ag sticky and see what you think.

I've bought quite a few parts, and looking at starting this soon.

I've got a question about the electric heater element and the thread size..

Thread Diameter : 32mm / 0.11";Color

I need to buy a nut for this but not sure what I need.. BSP, NPT, NPS, Metric?

32mm is pretty much 1.25 or 1 and a 1/4 inch

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E0KHEH8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you gut a local plumbing shop? Take the element in and see what fits! Should be able to supply washers too if you need them (it worked for me, and money goes to the small guys - everyone's a winner!)

I've been looking for some more kegs for ages, and finally got lucky!
Spotted these three down at the local skip.

One is empty, one half full and the other completely full! Probably gone off beer...

LxC-b-zzI_6Lrmmq2hAPL5jppUbHo-at0A9D7MUTdRw.jpg

I've been looking for some more kegs for ages, and finally got lucky!
Spotted these three down at the local skip.

One is empty, one half full and the other completely full! Probably gone off beer...

Watch out, before you know it someone here will call the keg police on you.....:nono: :lol:

It may not be a member of this forum that calls anyone, forums are watched for stolen gear (i am not saying these were stolen by the OP)

We recently had a post by a member asking how to open a barrel, he even posted a picture of it :doh: within a few hours he was threatened with legal action if he didn't return it to the owner.

Welcome To Keg Watch Limited

Each year the brewing industry loses many millions of pounds through the theft and misappropriation of kegs, casks (beer barrels) and dispense gas cylinders. Keg Watch is the organisation committed to reducing these losses.

Keg Watch Limited is a Trade Association limited by guarantee. We represent the interests of over 1000 members from micro to international brewers, cider makers and the major suppliers of dispense gases to the industry.

The aim of this website is to provide information about Keg Watch to licensees, the industry, the police and the public and to raise awareness of the issues involved.

If you are involved in handling stolen kegs, the penalties are severe.

Keg Watch pays rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft or unauthorised destruction of containers.

Keg Watch operates a confidential free phone line called Keg Line for any general queries or information you may have on our new number 0808 100 1945.

Are you having problems getting your kegs or casks uplifted? Phone the Keg Line now.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...tQDMamge5rlQpsQ1l-Ca7CQ&bvm=bv.98476267,d.bGQ

Perhaps this subject is worthy of a forum sticky so as members are aware of the issues surrounding aquiring second hand kegs.
I am sure a lot of people are not aware that they could be open to prosecution for handling stolen goods.

I would be concerned about why potentially valuable kegs were in a skip in the first place.

Protect yourself an contact Keg Watch

A keg is of value, even if it no longer works, for the scrap metal.
This is a good shout, Dad's_Ale.

A keg is of value, even if it no longer works, for the scrap metal.
This is a good shout, Dad's_Ale.

I believe scrap yard and metal recyclers ask a lot more questions nowadays and need written proof of your identity. For this very reason it is more difficult to get rid of hooky stuff.

I believe scrap yard and metal recyclers ask a lot more questions nowadays and need written proof of your identity. For this very reason it is more difficult to get rid of hooky stuff.

Well that's right, my understanding is that buying scrap metal for cash is no longer permissable, although there is one scrap dealer around these parts who gives payment cards instead, and advertises this on the radio.

When I worked for the electricity bourd we had a few instances of people shorting out power lines and the stealing several miles of copper wire. A couple cases where delivery drivers were followed to see where they dropped off their cargo.

I called fullers about the kegs. Asked what they wanted me to do with them. they said they would get back to me within a couple of days.

Over a month later and no reply so they're now part of my home brewery :)

I called fullers about the kegs. Asked what they wanted me to do with them. they said they would get back to me within a couple of days.

Over a month later and no reply so they're now part of my home brewery :)

I agree with chippy, your gain there. It probably cost them more than the keg is worth to retrieve it from you

Back