Anyone Have an Idea....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrobson

Reaction score
I’ve got two brews that have drastically changed colour in the bottles.

9D397660-4DD1-4465-BEE4-0BE1A822F2DC.jpeg

Beer on the left is my first raw ale, recipe as follows.

80% Extra Pale Malt
20% Wheat

90 min mash @ 67c

7g of Columbus hop tea with a 60 min added with 20 mins of the mash remaining.

Dry hop,
25g Motueka
15g Rakau

Beer on the right, a normal bog standard brew, recipe as follows.

93% Extra Pale
7% Munich

60 min mash @ 66c

60min - 12g Magnum
15min - 5g Nelson, Rakau & Motueka
10min - 5g Nelson & Rakau, 10g Motueka
5min - 5g Nelson, 10g Rakau & 15g Motueka
30min steep - 15g Motueka & 30g Rakau

Dry hop,
10g Nelson
30g Motueka
35g Rakau

Both brews were fermented with 5ml of Midtbust Kveik from a direct source in Norway.

I grew the vial on the stir plate and have a jar of slurry in the fridge that I used for both brews.

Initially I thought the first beer might have oxidised when bottling (never had an issue with nearly 60 brews so far) Then after I popped the first bottle of beer two I knew something wasn’t right. I’d bottled three other brews using the same bottling bucket and my normal method of batch priming with no issues at all.

I’m thinking it must be the yeast?

Has anyone any experience with Midtbust or with beers changing colour. I can’t detect any off flavours / infections and people that I’ve given samples too can’t either, I just tell them to ignore the colour!

Beer one is almost purple and beer two is like pond water, both have the clarity of fruit juice!

Any ideas?

For me that has to be oxidation. Although it does seem bizarre given that it doesn't seem like a particularly big dry hop. The only time my beer has gone that horrible murky oxidised colour is with hugely-hopped NEIPAs. Curious one.

Back