Are You A Smoker?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how long,if ever,it takes the government to enforce such retailing restrictions on booze,like locking it in cupboards and plain packaging. ..

Cheers

Clint

I've read every post in this thread and it make for familiar sentiments.
For those who ask "how can you enjoy it?" It's similar to alcohol, high fat foods and even for alot of us, riding motorcycles. Its just....nice. it does things to your brain that a sober outside environment can't do I suppose.

Anyways, im 29 started at 13 (peer presure thiught i was cool) and packed in 2 years and 2 months. Ive had about 4 tokes on a spliff in that time and regreted it, it tasted aweful.
The birth of my daughter and my mother being diagnosed with severe throat cancer.

The method I used was a stupid one, its a drug called CHAMPIX do your research and take at your peril.
I took the course of pills for the 12 weeks and it got me off the smokes. 60 a day to nout in 2 weeks.
However I am now a shell of a person somewhat. Used to smile and laugh alot. Now in my head im in a dark dark world and cant escape it. They changed me and I'm not who I used to be by any measure but hey, I'll live longer :D

So if I'm gonna fling 2 pence in it would be to try and quite via any other method but them damn pills. They are dangerous.

I'm not sure that's the tablets...I say without trying to sound nasty. My wife used the same tablets and she's happier now than ever.

Pope, when I attended the stop smoking clinic a few years back, I was offered a choice of aids. The lady went to some length pointing out the possible side effects of Champix so I declined it and came away with a bunch of useless patches and gum. Champix' predecessor ( can't remember its name but began with 'z') was apparently worse. It stopped my pal smoking for 6 months but he was a monster plagued with the blackest moods and suicidal thoughts. He was alright when he started smoking again so the lack of nicotine might well have been to blame lol.

I don't think i would take Chamipx if i was still smoking having read many negative comments about them, here are 3 -

The first time i was on Chamipx i did the same thing. I was only on it for about 3 weeks and then stopped due to the nausea.
While i have progressed much further on the Champix this time, i still think it's one of the best ways to quit.
Don't worry, i'm an absoult space head at the moment. I foget everything and anything unless i write it down. My work is very understanding though which helps.
I also don't sleep very well and i have very crazy dreams.
I haven't thought about life after Champix really, i just assumed it would be something easy to stop taking after a certain amount if time.

I'm in my 2nd day of starter pack. I've been experiencing fluctuating mild to slightly milder pain in the back of my head/neck.I related the experience to the way in which I'd slept the night before ( on the lounge couch) though, I've fallen asleep many times on my couch and haven't experienced pain in this way. After 26years this is a first ever attempt to quit the habit. Researching the side affects lead me here amongst other sites. The trigger to the cause of my before mentioned experience I'd admit includes justification towards my having want to continue my starter pack use inspite of the pain signals. I intend to persevere to the end of this week while researching further. My hope is that this was bought about not by champix and, further hope it subsides within another day or so which will be of comfort in knowing it wouldn't be a complication to my having continue the champix program. Good luck all..

Hi I am on day 114 of no smoking and did it with Champix. You need to let your body adjust to the medication, that's why you start taking 5mg and work up tp 10mg. If you are getting nauseous make sure you eat before you take the morning one and I took the night time one when I went to bed. I found I had really vivid dreams for the first week and was very tired right after taking the tablet feeling very "spacey" for about 20 minutes afterwards. This stopped around week 2. After that I really didn't notice any affects. Make sure you take the whole course and check in with your doctor if you are worried about anything as everyone is different and has different reactions. When I stopped taking them I found that the physical cravings came back for about a week so be prepared if this happens to you. They arent nearly as strong as when you first quit though and are easy to get through. Best of luck and just stay strong and focused on why you're quitting and you will get there.

I never smoked, (apart from the odd teenage experiment), but my parents both did. My Dad developed lung cancer at 42 and had to have one lung cut out. He stopped smoking immediately, but the damage was done. He was always short of breath after that. He lived another 24 years, which is great I guess, given his condition, but 66 isn't really OLD is it?
To his credit, he continued to enjoy beer most nights in the pub, but that meant he also continued to breath other peoples smoke. In the days when you could tell what day of the week it was by the smokiness index - (if you couldn't see the bar from the doorway, it was probably Saturday.)
I continued in his footsteps with my liking for a good pint, but his fags experience put me off smoking.:nono:

For the Smokers on here that think its good.

A friend of mine's wife, a long term smoker developed lung cancer at 46.

the NHS class it as self inflicted so arnt bothered about your care. She was left on a bed in a corridor to die with her helpless husband watching. Lung cancer turns your lungs to mush very slowly, you cant breathe and fight for air as you lungs fill with fluid relentlessly coughing and coughing it up. You drown very slowly on dry land. She took EIGHT HOURS to drown before she died.

I was in hospital for another reason and feeling better i went to sit in the Lounge with the other Guys that were in there. There was this one guy sat alone who i could see was very Distressed and in a bad state. I asked him if he was ok? In tears he told me he had just been told he had lung cancer from smoking and had a few weeks to live. His family didnt know and his wife and 2 young Sons were coming in to see him at any moment. he didnt know how he was going to tell them and that he wouldnt be able to play football with them ever again and how were they going to manage without their daddy?. he was only 32.

he said it was all down to "putting that stupid white stick in his mouth" and "i wish i had never seen a fag"

I didnt know what to say only "i'm so sorry" and left him to see his family when they arrived.

So you still think smoking is cool do you?

Ive invented a new product.

Ive soaked the filter and paper in a very addictive substance to get you addicted as quickly as possible.

You become instantly addicted and find it hard to stop.

I milk you for money as long as you keep doing it.

The government know you are addicted so tax it highly knowing you will pay to soothe the addiction.

There is no benefit in using this product for you whatsoever only expense.

The government know you will probably die before you get your pension so after a lifetime of milking you for tax they keep your pension too.

I have to target schools and children to recruit more addicts as older users die early.

I have to pay film makers to promote my product in movies to make it look cool to attract younger people.

Please send me your orders for my product your children will love it.

You will love it.

For the Smokers on here that think its good.

A friend of mine's wife, a long term smoker developed lung cancer at 46.

the NHS class it as self inflicted so arnt bothered about your care. She was left on a bed in a corridor to die with her helpless husband watching. Lung cancer turns your lungs to mush very slowly, you cant breathe and fight for air as you lungs fill with fluid relentlessly coughing and coughing it up. You drown very slowly on dry land. She took EIGHT HOURS to drown before she died.

I was in hospital for another reason and feeling better i went to sit in the Lounge with the other Guys that were in there. There was this one guy sat alone who i could see was very Distressed and in a bad state. I asked him if he was ok? In tears he told me he had just been told he had lung cancer from smoking and had a few weeks to live. His family didnt know and his wife and 2 young Sons were coming in to see him at any moment. he didnt know how he was going to tell them and that he wouldnt be able to play football with them ever again and how were they going to manage without their daddy?. he was only 32.

he said it was all down to "putting that stupid white stick in his mouth" and "i wish i had never seen a fag"

I didnt know what to say only "i'm so sorry" and left him to see his family when they arrived.

So you still think smoking is cool do you?
a heart wrenching story there Russ and only 32 to be told put your affairs in order one of the unlucky ones to succumb to that horrible disease but then you get someone who will be like a chimney all their lives and die a peaceful death well into their old age.a question of genes I suppose and other factors like diet,

Yes we all know the 60 a day smoker that lived to 140 blah blah

those people are rare and 1 in 10,000. Tell that to the 1000's that die young.

Or lose a leg or two

that end up on oxygen and cant breathe.

For what?

Absolutely nothing except soothing a hideous craving for nicotine.

I was lucky never a nicotine addict as I didn't smoke all day long so much so that every time I smoked the first one usually in the evening down the pub the first few drags would make me go light headed for a few seconds,now swmbo was a different story a proper nicotine addict and it took her until 5/6 years back into her late 50s to kick it after seeing her mom another nicotine addict die of lung cancer,that had the desired effect on her.up to yet she seems to have got away with it before the early warning signs occured

Smoking is well cool, ain't it Marlon? The possible consequences, not so.

Ain't it though..!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hardened anti-smoking campagner, though perhaps I should be, but I've witnessed first hand the crippling effects of it.

Yes we all know the 60 a day smoker that lived to 140 blah blah

those people are rare and 1 in 10,000. Tell that to the 1000's that die young.

Or lose a leg or two

that end up on oxygen and cant breathe.

For what?

Absolutely nothing except soothing a hideous craving for nicotine.

Russ we don't need the soap box we get it!

I imagine most smokers here like me started in the days when it was cool and socially acceptable to smoke, film stars smoked on screen and you could smoke in all public places even on the bus and planes, the problem is once you start the "hideous craving for nicotine" as you put it is hard to break but as this thread has shown it can be done if you have the willpower, i only wish the smoking ban had been brought in when i was trying to quit as it would have helped me a lot, having a pint without a fag in a pub full of smokers for me was the end of many an attempt at quitting.

The good news is -

Cigarettes used to be everywhere in American society. Fifty years ago, 42.4 percent of U.S. adults smoked. Since then, that figure has declined by more than half, reaching a record low 17.8 percent in 2014. What’s more, the rate is still dropping.

a heart wrenching story there Russ and only 32 to be told put your affairs in order one of the unlucky ones to succumb to that horrible disease but then you get someone who will be like a chimney all their lives and die a peaceful death well into their old age.a question of genes I suppose and other factors like diet,

It's about 6 months since my Brother in law died at 63 from secondary liver cancer after having a lump removed from his lung, smoking related cancer. He was a determined smoker often lighting one from another and the more you told him the more he smoked. He used to say it was something to do even though it is a passive activity not really requiring any attention, not really a time passing hobby is it?

Both his wife and son who is mid 30s swore never to smoke again but now, 6 months later are just waiting for something to happen before they quit. It's usually next week, after the holiday, after Christmas but never quite ready to start. There are tons of stories on here like this and I STILL do not understand why you would put a lighted cancer stick in your mouth and inhale the carcinogenic output. I enjoy lots of things but to me the risk massively outweighs the supposed enjoyment and I think this is often a programmed response/excuse from smokers who think they cannot give up.

Ye giving up ain't easy, and there's far more to it than the nicotine aspect. I've always maintained that that's the easy bit, it's the habit that's hard to break. When you find yourself without a cig during those moments of the day when you'd normally have one, it feels so wrong. Only quitting smokers can get their head around that. But this thread has actually inspired me to have another go. Shouldn't be quite as bad as previously as I've got me snuff but breaking the long-standing rituals and associations of smoking is another matter.

I remember smoking on a plane which looking back seems incredible now not just because of the enclosed space.

Who remembers the old cinema seats with ash trays on the back - imagine putting a fag that close to a non smokers face now.

4097342.jpeg

Sadly, I'm old enough to remember ash trays in cinemas ("smoking or non smoking?", the usher would ask), ashtrays on the grafitti-riddled upper deck of buses and tap rooms in WMCs with smoke so dense you couldn't see as far as the bar. How times have changed!

Ye giving up ain't easy, and there's far more to it than the nicotine aspect. I've always maintained that that's the easy bit, it's the habit that's hard to break. When you find yourself without a cig during those moments of the day when you'd normally have one, it feels so wrong. Only quitting smokers can get their head around that. But this thread has actually inspired me to have another go. Shouldn't be quite as bad as previously as I've got me snuff but breaking the long-standing rituals and associations of smoking is another matter.

I know i am repeating myself but if these E cigs had been around when i was trying to quit i am sure i would have done it sooner, i had a few attempts but i probably just found it easier to carry on than quit as i didn't really want to, i used to enjoy a fag especially with a pint but in the end it was the fact i couldn't afford to keep a 30 a day (and Mrs Tea 20 a day) habit going that finally gave me the intensive to stop.

Latest posts

Back