Autumn Forum Brew ‘n’ Swap Reviews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20231031_200503.jpg

Thought I might as well kick off the thread with @Alastair70 Imperial Stout. I had to have a quick look at the BJCP guidelines to make sure I knew what to look for. Have to say the beer fitted the style very well.

Ok, so on opening, nice little hiss, decent thinnish white head, black as the night. Pours with that viscous quality you get with big beers, nice. Head dissipates pretty soon after pouring.

Aroma, very roasty, stone fruit, plums, raisins and a bit of dark chocolate. No noticeable hop aroma.

Flavour, lots of roastiness in here, roast malts, what I can only describe as roast plums and raisins. Some hop spiciness in there too. It's bitter, and is quite intense for me initially but as you get through it more flavours start coming through.

Mouth feel, full bodied for sure, velvety, carbonation spot on. Alcohol warmth there but not overpoweringly so.

Overall impression, a lovely beer, a sipper. 2nd half of the beer went down better for me, I did find the bitterness slightly overpowering at first, but I would say this is personal taste, it fits the style. I loved the flavours, especially the fruit flavours, I thought it balanced out the roasty malt/hop flavour nicely. Thank you very much!

IMG_2210.jpeg

Imperial from @pilgrimhudd
Low aroma of dark roast, low head but it is carbonated well.
My first impression was a fizz of bubbles on the tip of the tongue followed by waves of flavour ending in a drawn out roastiness afterwards. I can’t really tell how bitter it is, alcohol warmth is pleasant. I’d love to know the recipe.

Just trying @Nottsbeer imperial stout.

Nice pour with a good head that lasts. Dark and viscous.
Aroma is on the light side but improves alot as it warms up. Chocolate and roast. Good mouth feel backed up with a nice level of bitterness. Carbonation is slightly high for the style but it helps cut the sweetness.
Thank you for sharing 👍
IMG_20231106_205336899_HDR.jpg

As it's the pr-eekend I have opened @Tess Tickle's Brewery's Tripel 9.5%

Still wimped out and served it in a 330ml and saved the rest for later.

Screenshot_20231109-164124~2.png

Crystal clear golden Tripel
Looked very authentic, good carbonation big head down to my pour, the head lasted to the bottom.
Strong but balanced
Peppery aroma
Slight oakey flavour I would say which was interesting
Excellent 👌I had it with some cheddar cheese as I always do when it's a beer this strong and really enjoyed it

I'm not sure if it is hard water in York or if it's the water treatment but I sensed there was a minerality to the water. Not a criticism at all, just something I picked up with a brewer's hat on.

Thanks!

Last edited:
As it's the pr-eekend I have opened @Tess Tickle's Brewery's Tripel 9.5%

Still wimped out and served it in a 330ml and saved the rest for later.

View attachment 91656

Crystal clear golden Tripel
Looked very authentic, good carbonation big head down to my pour, the head lasted to the bottom.
Strong but balanced
Peppery aroma
Slight oakey flavour I would say which was interesting
Excellent 👌I had it with some cheddar cheese as I always do when it's a beer this strong and really enjoyed it

I'm not sure if it is hard water in York or if it's the water treatment but I sensed there was a minerality to the water. Not a criticism at all, just something I picked up with a brewer's hat on.

Thanks!

Thanks for your review Jim and glad you found it palatable.

There's no oak in it, it has been bottled a fair while though and it was from keg - hope it's not going funny! 🤣

With the minerality you mention, I used Tesco Ashbeck water and this is what I put in it. you will probably have a better idea than me what this amount of salts will do to the water 😊

I'm still learning I guess 😅

WATER SALTS.png

Two Belgians from @Agentgonzo which I had a few days ago.

Ambree and Radiuse clones. It's been quite a long time since I had Leffe, must be about 5 years.

My camera didn't do these justice really.

Both slightly cloudy
Good head on both, the Radiuse a bit more rich and malty. Clovey and Belgian, just what I would expect. I assume it was the same yeast for both but the yeast flavours were more noticeable in the Ambree. Again had them with cheese which paired well with the strength

Good beers, enjoyed them both, slightly preferred the Radiuse, suited the current cold weather as a winter warmer with it being richer and maltier. Actually reminded me a bit of Tynt Meadow which is the closest thing I've had recently.
Screenshot_20231109-164129~2.png

The Ambree 5%, more light bodied than it looked with a dry finish, moderate bitterness and also had a slight roasty element. Fits the bill of an amber
Screenshot_20231109-164133~2.png

Very good, Thanks!
👍

Last edited:
. I assume it was the same yeast for both but the yeast flavours were more noticeable in the Ambree
Nope.
Ambrée was CML Belgian ale.
Radieuse was MJ Belgian Abbey. Though I didn't get the really intense fruity flavours I've had from this in the past. Not sure if it was something I did, or the fact that the yeast was close to it's sell by date.

Glad you enjoyed them both.

IMG_2217.jpeg

This is @samale imperial. I remembered the instructions to open at the sink about 5 seconds after popping the cap- got most of it in a glass though.

This is dark - absolute black, more sweet than bitter, very intense roast flavour. I don’t really have the right words to describe the imperials. It’s a very sippable 10% - thank you!

View attachment 91660
This is @samale imperial. I remembered the instructions to open at the sink about 5 seconds after popping the cap- got most of it in a glass though.

This is dark - absolute black, more sweet than bitter, very intense roast flavour. I don’t really have the right words to describe the imperials. It’s a very sippable 10% - thank you!
That beer is well aged. I forgot all about a case in the garage. Pity it's over carbonated but I think it tastes really good. Loads of vanilla and roasted chocolate

Thought I'd have @SMP Brewery impy stout.

Forgive the pic, you said it would be lively, I opened the bottle and it didn't seem to bad so just poured and needed a flake. No matter, plenty of time for it to warm up!

Aroma, roast, fruit and alcohol. Definitely some stone fruit, pluminess in there. Slightly more restrained than some that I've had.

Appearance, pretty much jet black, Great head retention, very creamy off white head.

Flavour, quite complex, roast, bitter, some hop flavours, I might take a stab at an American hop but am sure to be wrong. Looking at the bjcp guidelines I'd also say that I get some burnt grain/fruit flavour. Some alcohol warmth once the bitterness passes.

Mouthfeel, I would say not quite as full bodied as I'd expect but almost there. Carbonation, initially slightly overdone.

Overall, really nice enjoyable beer, not sure what the abv is but I can definitely feel it. Flavours very well balanced, feels like its been aged for a while?

Cheers for sharing!

20231109_223843.jpg

I opened the bottle and it didn't seem to bad so just poured and needed a flake.
😂

It worked out at 8% but I’m wondering if I Bottled it too soon as to me it feels stronger than that.

Your miles off regards the hops, couldn’t be more English 😀

It was mashed @ 65 should that have been higher if brewed again?

Glad you enjoyed it.

Edit it’s been aged for 217 days so far.

My first Impy, from @Caramel Ox, And another winning label👏.
Gave out a solid hiss on opening, but carbonation is actually spot on. The head only appear in the last 1/3 of the pour and lasted most of the glass intact.
I’m getting a predominately dark fruit aroma but the flavour is lovely balance of chocolate roast and rich dark fruits. It’s super smooth with soft mouthfeel and a great length of flavour. The 8%ABV is completely hidden in the soft rich warmth of the brew. Lovely job, thank-you for sharing it.

IMG_2510.jpeg

My first one from @Nottsbeer Kept it cold just in case, it opened with a slight hiss so thought nothing of it turned my back to get the glass and half the bottle was over the work surface fridge n floor. That’s why it’s not a full glass.

Upon pouring it had a lovely espresso look to it with a very nice head, much better than mine.

Don’t get much on the nose after it warmed up, I like the mouth feel on this, it has a warm alcohol flavour but still masks its strength. I got chocolate and a slight bitterness.

I fair enjoyed what was left in the bottle, thanks for sharing.

IMG_3352.jpeg

My first one from @Nottsbeer Kept it cold just in case, it opened with a slight hiss so thought nothing of it turned my back to get the glass and half the bottle was over the work surface fridge n floor. That’s why it’s not a full glass.

Upon pouring it had a lovely espresso look to it with a very nice head, much better than mine.

Don’t get much on the nose after it warmed up, I like the mouth feel on this, it has a warm alcohol flavour but still masks its strength. I got chocolate and a slight bitterness.

I fair enjoyed what was left in the bottle, thanks for sharing.

View attachment 91755
Glad you enjoyed it🍻🍻 and thx for the feedback.

Had this lovely beer from @Caramel Ox the other night. Again, top marks for your labels and cap decoration. This poured with a very thin head. Lovely colour. I couldn't detect much of an aroma,but I'm not sure if that was me missing something. This was an easy beer to drink, hiding the 8% strength. I struggled to put my finger on the taste profile. Maybe a hint of chocolaty background? It was slightly warming when drunk but not overpowering which was perfect. Thanks for sharing this nicely balanced beer. 🍻

Attachments

• IMG_20231109_203112_570.jpg
    IMG_20231109_203112_570.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back