Summer Brew and Swap Reviews - NZ Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Stu's Brews - your beer arrived today! In good condition so will try this over the weekend.

@smallscaleale - the postie keeps leaving me missed delivery notes for Notts Beer. As stu's brew's parcel didn't have that on it, I presume yours is in the area 😂. Hopefully it will arrive soon👍

Attachments

• IMG_20230927_173025_997.jpg
    IMG_20230927_173025_997.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
Having this lovely beer from @smallscaleale

Poured a pretty golden yellow colour with a small head which faded quickly.

The awesome aroma hit me straight away - I get a pineapple lime vibe, which carries through to the taste also. I really liked this.

The beer has fabulous carbonation which lasted throughout the drink.

The flavours were clean with a dry finish, solid bitterness and a lingering aftertaste.

My tastebuds tell me that this was my favourite of the three, although they were all very good.

Great beer, thank you for sending!

20230930_181502.jpg

Having this lovely beer from @smallscaleale

Poured a pretty golden yellow colour with a small head which faded quickly.

The awesome aroma hit me straight away - I get a pineapple lime vibe, which carries through to the taste also. I really liked this.

The beer has fabulous carbonation which lasted throughout the drink.

The flavours were clean with a dry finish, solid bitterness and a lingering aftertaste.

My tastebuds tell me that this was my favourite of the three, although they were all very good.

Great beer, thank you for sending!

View attachment 90411
Thanks so much for the kind words, glad you enjoyed it! 🍻

Second beer from @Stu's Brews. Sorry it's been a while before tasting this one, I was struck down with COVID and only just back to drinking again.

This opened with a slight hiss. Poured nicely having a decent head. It has a subtly aroma, possibly fruity. The beer has a slight haze and some fruity taste...maybe tropical fruity? It's quite mellow. This is a lovely beer to drink, would have been perfect when I was enjoying the late afternoon sunshine earlier🏖️. Thanks for sharing 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20231007_204735_930.jpg
    IMG_20231007_204735_930.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
@smallscaleale - I think the postie has taken a liking to the beer you sent me. Despite the "missed you" card, it hasn't arrived!! I've chased to postie and queried the missing package on line. It may arrive one day🤣 Our post has been quite bad recently.

Second beer from @Stu's Brews. Sorry it's been a while before tasting this one, I was struck down with COVID and only just back to drinking again.

This opened with a slight hiss. Poured nicely having a decent head. It has a subtly aroma, possibly fruity. The beer has a slight haze and some fruity taste...maybe tropical fruity? It's quite mellow. This is a lovely beer to drink, would have been perfect when I was enjoying the late afternoon sunshine earlier🏖️. Thanks for sharing 👍

Glad you enjoyed it and pleased it survived it's torturous journey!

I was a bit underwhelmed with the hop aroma and flavour. Wasn't as punchy as had hoped it would be but easy enough to rectify that next time.

Used a combination of Moutere, Riwaka and Nelson Sauvin. Nelson was the main boil hop but probably going to swap the Moutere and Nelson around for next time and then just generally add more late hops.

Glad you enjoyed it and pleased it survived it's torturous journey!

I was a bit underwhelmed with the hop aroma and flavour. Wasn't as punchy as had hoped it would be but easy enough to rectify that next time.

Used a combination of Moutere, Riwaka and Nelson Sauvin. Nelson was the main boil hop but probably going to swap the Moutere and Nelson around for next time and then just generally add more late hops.
I had the same with mine. If I do it again I'd also up the hops. Yours was still a very nice pint👍

Had my final beer this eve. Thx @smallscaleale, a very nice drink. Opened with a slight hiss but it was slightly lively when poured. Nice aroma and taste. Bit tropical I think on the smell. Nice and crisp drink. I was having this with a curry and they went together very nicely...shame I only had the one to drink🤣. Unfortunately I hit the curry too early and I failed to fully appreciate the flavours. Like the others I've had in this swap, the hops were quite subtle. Thanks for sharing 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20231013_183129_343.jpg
    IMG_20231013_183129_343.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
Has everyone finished reviewing now? Was going to share my recipe if anyone is interested and hopefully be able to see everyone else's, but would like to wait until the end. 😬

I have been a bit (very) slow to get round to tasting mine as I've had a lot going on the last few weeks. Am planning on having them tonight / over the weekend though.

IMG20231020191642.jpg

First up for me is @Tess Tickle's Brewery's pale ale.

Pours a lovely golden colour with a fluffy white head that slowly drops back to a small ring that retains well.

Picking up gooseberry and grapefruit in the aroma, with some background grassy and herbal notes and a touch of malt character.

Flavour is very similar to the aroma, with some additional fruit notes coming through. Bitterness is restrained, I'd probably add a few more IBUs if it was me but that's very much a personal preference.

It is medium bodied, with moderate carbonation and a balanced finish that is neither dry or cloyingly sweet.

This is a very nice beer that I'm thoroughly enjoying. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your kind comments Stu. I honestly thought it would have oxidised by now, but yay for the Boel iTap 😬

Not getting any hints of oxidation so all good - has been in the fridge since it arrived so that should have helped too.

I did notice that the bottle was very full! Can't have been much more than a couple of mm of headspace.

Not getting any hints of oxidation so all good - has been in the fridge since it arrived so that should have helped too.

I did notice that the bottle was very full! Can't have been much more than a couple of mm of headspace.

Not sure if that was a mistake (high fill) but thought it might help with freshness. Just wanted you all to enjoy it at it's best.

IMG20231020205346.jpg

Time for @Alastair70's Racing Snake.

This one is a much deeper, copper colour suggesting a decent helping of crystal malts have been used. Another fluffy white head that retains well with good lacing around the glass.

Grapefruit, pineapple and caramel in the aroma. The same carry through to the flavour, but with the caramel becoming more dominant.

Bitterness is once again quite restrained, with a medium to full body, medium carbonation and a slightly sweet finish.

I think this one leans a bit more towards an American Pale Ale due to the malt character but is still absolutely lovely.

Latest posts

Back