Summer Brew and Swap Reviews - NZ Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Any special packaging required?

I'm in NZ so probably different rules, but just wondering how best to protect against breakages.

(Bottles get delivered all the time commercially just in cardboard boxes but I'd like to post a few bottles around)...

Thanks. Any special packaging required?

I'm in NZ so probably different rules, but just wondering how best to protect against breakages.

(Bottles get delivered all the time commercially just in cardboard boxes but I'd like to post a few bottles around)...

I use inflatable wine bags, just in a plastic envelope, and they never break. Glass bottles obviously.

I always make sure to clearly mark the package with 'glass' though so they're a bit more careful with it.

PXL_20230918_192529245.jpg

This one from @Nottsbeer .
Gentle fizz from the cap and poured with a nice fluffy white head.

I have given away and on some medication which precluded me from drinking, so it's been sat around for a while. Unfortunately I think this has contributed to some oxidation in the beer. A fairly dark colour and muted hop flavours I'm afraid - my fault for probably keeping it too long.

Nice level of mid-to-high bitterness that I'd expect from a NZ beer. Nice bready maltiness too.

Pleasant mild hops and a mid to high level of bitterness. Still a pleasant pint to drink - thanks 😀

View attachment 90039
This one from @Nottsbeer .
Gentle fizz from the cap and poured with a nice fluffy white head.

I have given away and on some medication which precluded me from drinking, so it's been sat around for a while. Unfortunately I think this has contributed to some oxidation in the beer. A fairly dark colour and muted hop flavours I'm afraid - my fault for probably keeping it too long.

Nice level of mid-to-high bitterness that I'd expect from a NZ beer. Nice bready maltiness too.

Pleasant mild hops and a mid to high level of bitterness. Still a pleasant pint to drink - thanks
Crikey, that one is dark!! Just checking it is the NZ pale and not the dubble I also sent 😉 - must have been a bad one as the bottle I had last night was still nice and pale (and hazy). Glad you enjoyed it 👍

Crikey, that one is dark!! Just checking it is the NZ pale and not the dubble I also sent 😉 - must have been a bad one as the bottle I had last night was still nice and pale (and hazy). Glad you enjoyed it 👍
Yep. The dubbel is still in the fridge.

Hi All, sorry for the radio silence - been away with work for a while.

@Tess Tickle's Brewery and @SMP Brewery - thanks both for your kind reviews. I only had a change to try one bottle before sending these, thus I was a little nervous on how they would be. Great you both enjoyed them. Hops used for this were Taiheke (60 & 15 mins) and Motueka (0 and dry hop). I'm just trying a pint now, and I'm a bit disappointed in the aroma and taste. I think if I were to make this again I'd double the dry hop, and maybe up the last addition as well. Otherwise it's an easy one to drink!

@Stu's Brews and @smallscaleale - sadly your beers didn't arrive (unless you didn't get around to posting yet). I've checked the likely places (in the bin!) but no sign.
Bottles are in the post as of yesterday - sorry I've been working away for the last month or so and didn't manage to get to it before I left. Look out for the toblerone shaped package nad that'll be mine!

I don't think I labelled each of the bottles but expect a 3.9% golden ale with Dr Rudi and Waimea

So far I've received one bottle from @pilgrimhudd which has been condition which I'll aim to sample this weekend!

I haven't had a bottle delivered from @Alastair70 and @Stu's Brews but I do have some Royal Mail missed deliveries that I've arranged redelivery for

Oh damn, really sorry about that. I've never had a problem with sending stuff through Royal Mail before. Was sent over two weeks ago so really should be with you by now.

Oh damn, really sorry about that. I've never had a problem with sending stuff through Royal Mail before. Was sent over two weeks ago so really should be with you by now.
No worries I don't think it's your fault - we've had trouble with Royal Mail delivering to us. Apparently unlike any other delivery service they can't leave it in a safe place.

I've got a delivery card and tried to rearrange it so hopefully will arrive shortly!

Final beer of mine is from @Agentgonzo Shruggie Shruggie, puts the rest of us to shame with his label 😀

8785E639-16D8-45EF-B6F2-F66AC5CD5135.jpeg

Opened with only a slight hiss and poured a nice copper colour but very little head, which is odd as it’s well carbonated so most probably my glass, gave it a swirl after it had warmed up a touch.

C35AC8BE-5676-4128-BC08-BD2E0C205EF5.jpeg

Didn’t get much aroma from this, I think like mine it needs the hops upping to accentuate them more. Nice bitterness and malty flavour with the hops taking a slightly back stage, that makes yet again a beer I’ve really enjoyed and happily quaff a few more.

Shame that that was the last, my favourite swap so for.

Thanks for organising @Alastair70

Seeing as I'm sat in my snuggie, it'd be rude not to try shruggie shruggie from @Agentgonzo

I assume it's bottle conditioned so used a jug to pre-pour and so we could share.

The beer is a light amber and it has what I would call fine but persistent carbonation. I prefer this kind of carbonation to the biting kind.

On the aroma I can just smell malt, with maybe a touch of caramel?

We get a malt forward flavour with medium bitterness. Lots of flavour and very pleasant.

I would say on the lighter side of medium bodied and has a hint of west coast about it.

Great beer, thanks for sending. 😊

20230920_202507.jpg

@Stu's Brews hiya mate, I'm ever so sorry, tried your beer today, it was dead flat and very oxidised, nearly tasteless in fact. Initial aroma was good but had to pour it down the sink I'm afraid. Sorry about that. 😬

View attachment 90094

asad1 sorry about that @pilgrimhudd - must admit I feared it may not have arrived in ideal condition given it had spent a week out in the wild during the heat wave, but wasn't expecting it to be quite that bad. I'm all out of that beer now but happy to send you a replacement of something else if you would like.

asad1 sorry about that @pilgrimhudd - must admit I feared it may not have arrived in ideal condition given it had spent a week out in the wild during the heat wave, but wasn't expecting it to be quite that bad. I'm all out of that beer now but happy to send you a replacement of something else if you would like.

No don't be silly thats ok, yes I forgot yours took forever to arrive during that warm patch. What a pain in the ****. ☹️

Bottles are in the post as of yesterday - sorry I've been working away for the last month or so and didn't manage to get to it before I left. Look out for the toblerone shaped package nad that'll be mine!

I don't think I labelled each of the bottles but expect a 3.9% golden ale with Dr Rudi and Waimea

Mine arrived yesterday thank you!

This is @smallscaleale Dr rudi nz golden ale.

Nice little pop on opening, pours well with a thin head. Nice golden colour, slightly hazy. Perfectly carbed.

Lovely fruity aroma, flavour not quite as fruity and some pine in there which gives an impression of it being quite dry initially but this fades as you go. It's got a good level of bitterness.

Light to medium bodied, very thirst quenching beer.

Thank you for sharing, really enjoyed this one. 👍

20230922_193021.jpg

This offering from @smallscaleale .

Poured lovely with hardly any sediment at all. Nice big head.

Aromas of hops and flowers.
A very light refreshing beer - very low malt flavour, if any, letting the hops do all the flavour. Orange and grapefruit at the fore with a high bitter and dry finish, almost edging towards a 'tart' end. Very clean fermentation character too.

Nice job!

PXL_20230925_163823921.jpg

First up from @pilgrimhudd

On the nose it had moderate fresh white wine, pink grapefruit and citrus aromas and was a hazy honey colour with a bright white head with tight bubbles. Flavour wise the malt gave a subtle sweet bready base for more white wine and citrus hop flavours but with a but more tropical fruit than on the nose leading to a bit of a peppery and dry finish. Very refreshing and made you want to go back for more!

Second I had @Alastair70

Strong citrus and floral notes on the nose, I was getting plenty of orange and lemon, very clean fermentation wise and just a subtle sweetness from the malt letting the hops shine through. It was a pale amber / orange with a slight haze and a bit of a sheen with a strong just off-white head and big bubbles. It has a really nice balance between the malt sweetness supporting the juicy tropical & citrus alongside a moderate bitterness. Had a nice medium body during the sip before a dry finish which has a slight and pleasant herbal / thyme taste to it. Very drinkable and would have been pleased to get that down the pub!

First ever swap and did not disappoint

Sorry I forgot to get photos!

Latest posts

Back