Autumn Forum Brew ‘n’ Swap Reviews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had this lovely beer from @Caramel Ox the other night. Again, top marks for your labels and cap decoration. This poured with a very thin head. Lovely colour. I couldn't detect much of an aroma,but I'm not sure if that was me missing something. This was an easy beer to drink, hiding the 8% strength. I struggled to put my finger on the taste profile. Maybe a hint of chocolaty background? It was slightly warming when drunk but not overpowering which was perfect. Thanks for sharing this nicely balanced beer. 🍻
Thank you. Unfortunately I think that beer peaked at 3 or 4 months rather than continuing to improve so it probably isn’t possible right now to guess the recipe. In terms of strong beer I have enjoyed it though and looking for the recipe for the next one!

With the minerality you mention, I used Tesco Ashbeck water and this is what I put in it. you will probably have a better idea than me what this amount of salts will do to the water 😊
When I finished the bottle later it didn't occur to me at all, so I think I was just looking for something really. Was very good indeed, would have believed it was a commercial example. The oak taste wasn't meant as a criticism either, it was possibly something from one the malts

My second Imp Stout swap was by @Stu's Brews. This opened with a slight hiss and poured nicely. It had a thin head which dissipated quickly. Nice aroma, maybe a hint of chocolate. Warm taste, maybe fruity and dark choc. A lovely alcohol warmth when drinking. No idea on the %abv but it struck me as being quite high. Definitely a beer to have on a cold winters night. I enjoyed this,...thanks for sharing👍

Attachments

• IMG_20231114_212553_818.jpg
    IMG_20231114_212553_818.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
When I finished the bottle later it didn't occur to me at all, so I think I was just looking for something really. Was very good indeed, would have believed it was a commercial example. The oak taste wasn't meant as a criticism either, it was possibly something from one the malts

Aw thank you Jim. I'm having a bad few days and that's really cheered me up. 😊

A couple of reviews from me.
First up, @Jim Brewster 's saison.

It came in a Shipyard IPA bottle with what seemed like an untouched cap on it. I don't know how you get tops off and back on again without damaging/bending them in any discernable way.

A slight hiss when opening, and crystal clear on the pour (nice job!). Light golden colour. During the pour I was suspicious I'd been duped and just been sent a bottle from the supermarket! But the sediment in the bottom gave it away.

The head dissipated quickly. On the nose, light fresh aromas, nothing too strong. On the first taste, there was a light tartness like a medium cider. Perfectly pleasant and very refreshing. Light notes of lemon and a gentle crisp maltiness. Finished dry with a long hop bitterness at the end - a bit too much for my preference - are you sure this isn't just a bottle of Shipyard? :laugh8:

ADCreHfGrLUOcEl5nQlP_c_x-lrs34KCNqlnIl0ZlepcIzAE5lhJMRTwX-plrZOEsks4eEVdO8cqjpy7JUwKMq7MCheeb0_opsvH9XEprXRK9c_z6KNA4M0ZeadEfkdLvV41miPU7dfo8BI0CPigS3fFJIToskSuPnLcuQet5xvTbMivD-GFwaqwLieq0uWrmuuqIpDuvqaqQrVyDEIVZrFG63Mdw8OJjMdlULAsBh1128YnOUdqzYpeYd2NWk_oqi6GdXHduioH6o-ENjw_4JvB-_B3I5a4gRGpad3z_H8XS4mpyUi9ANYumSWZWR8vEYQO-wpw4ZLALroHHwrYatqOsVHt4tP4vZp_v0AfkX1HA3xCt4GLynfggDzlV00tf8aUx-7B8hEdP10MDjMUtG8E3F78CEFBUzBeQu02iIE55xB9uiskiEHIyDcjQSSuFypqeb8kaBPdGK8ZQOiQz7sTO7p9z22lZ5DspaMYN6DdL7mxlfxyW577KLJP9XIdFHM8v4AaHV_us99h5hs5B5vSOhgJ7CrNWWnr_481bktfYyi6mrKjfWH6-ZTIMDgZ14a7GZe-uP00NL9xojw86Ysjht9ivXrB7uUdZys_sqkLhocGfcJpbwRTp53qitJWiF8_cWnAoEkc5u2AoiC-1DkJ4dpVZ4y1G4x_SYsfbuUroTDsXSYtLkBHT6MTDU0_2UG2MLfCBO7MV1ZJpXMqHT5tKE6fVqKe5R-vFvyFFyePTndn5EbjHj07PGz-1mSOo9p7SKJ90TxUPlqb00xmqLD6IH7AiEE3jFIj-Fyu_wpx4qcziSI1xl9H_BbIQnR5g0RSZQi3M4M3bGBnC_eANIYnnY4JpRSJ3zASPAcCU0_bf30Bda516HYHpJc8a6qT8TLeP8PUSzTxNlmNS3FZ6J_thIuMwd8=w2053-h3651-s-no-gm

Second one from @Tess Tickle's Brewery (not on the same night as Jim's thankfully!).

10 points for the label 👏 !

The bottle opened with ... absolutely no hiss whatsoever. I was afraid something had gone awry and it would be flat, but Tess has used the storage to its max - the bottle was absolutely brimmed! The inside of the cap had beer on it and this had been stored upright for a week and carefully moved!

Anyway, carbonation was spot on, but not much of a head for those people who get all fussy about that. Slight haze, and left the sediment in the bottle.

Rich strong maltiness (not too surprising given the 9.5% ABV!) came through straight away on both the nose and the palette. It had those lovely sweet honey flavours and light spicyness but without actually being sweet. Mild bitterness came through in a perfect balance and then a nice dry finish (without being tart) to leave the pleasant flavours of the beer remaining without leaving that full-body-bloatyness you get from high FG beers. Very nice!

It lacked some of the rich spicyness that you'd get from abbey beers/tripels - this one is more akin to a Chouffe/Duvel etc - a (very) strong blonde rather than a tripel - but delicious. And at 9.5% very very dangerous as it slid down a treat (it hit me like a freight train - one bottle and I have a headache today!).

Thank you - very nice! 🍻

(photo flash made it darker than it actually was)
ADCreHfGZ2zW5sLndMvRbVuV0l-SErcSs2ZXfNsqGUGn3hiTzan-VKQYTwvPUNnMutxHgglS7TObf8E3l89zXMEdynuFeQx-oAbLc23WRnvEv92UapG4HBaOIi7N9_hkyagjKyqiEhbIOpVOwW8kSlJVm9BEALAGAJiAdqD74_CW_OQA2vzRyTNVd9YU3864KWI_3CrplkwE4lQ7k-jWCBDRiND50ezF5qiTcAk2_jLp6KglcRuya64WcaAgD4wg9I9hq-HiG3V0pB8vxbKCaOUmVGR-jpusBPiagOdeb6pDMUL2mBwdP38UYA9k3SZPXIZRmMGqXfEZw7gbHRDCwIpo5AALNdzUfiZ4jsxeTuNrqXY1ESn28ACs-4k6GR0WXuqeLo-TzJD7zurK5WpbsyKNJCqs4VmK0BpwXYtwY730hjbVP2u7R2IKIoDy5VSGZaQTfHjgP2i7klOF1P2vFvtqfxY5vOPYET76iW29C_Ohw6F0cj823Sygm0edflCJ0IM6MR5_wu3unuLGJnIqJrL3lhd2gjgBCHX2-m6J0RwBg0xMGotYbnnd7jy7RH8MJepKlwCoWQkcTZ86owthafSKYqyuUSqejSf0JgKF6sng7wlD3U0rsbgsLOaqBkoDJ8T4g9U0k-5N1SM8_rZhBsK1slCuiSardbsS3DLY2vQgeIKc-a-OuCf2Osnyio77YMdotK7HiITGScFQEAYENJYyLkL4e8SNSZqpwdM1l0ZIue6IxSpyOhxPxwkxVBUnnXRwZcwhhqWDnj5BtHE5vaqdO1Gf_daVbfroB8fdKlZowTB0ABa8OjJXSMe3PUhB-tQtZTaE4H6lWCafd_gSIELgMtZ1TmSKUyHUwzBt-NJ1HEKGyTI_tXGWwICOWGjOhPkfJK5i6IK2469rxva3D4Q98ZQLzE8=w2053-h3651-s-no-gm

A couple of reviews from me.
First up, @Jim Brewster 's saison.

It came in a Shipyard IPA bottle with what seemed like an untouched cap on it. I don't know how you get tops off and back on again without damaging/bending them in any discernable way.

A slight hiss when opening, and crystal clear on the pour (nice job!). Light golden colour. During the pour I was suspicious I'd been duped and just been sent a bottle from the supermarket! But the sediment in the bottom gave it away.

The head dissipated quickly. On the nose, light fresh aromas, nothing too strong. On the first taste, there was a light tartness like a medium cider. Perfectly pleasant and very refreshing. Light notes of lemon and a gentle crisp maltiness. Finished dry with a long hop bitterness at the end - a bit too much for my preference - are you sure this isn't just a bott

ADCreHfGrLUOcEl5nQlP_c_x-lrs34KCNqlnIl0ZlepcIzAE5lhJMRTwX-plrZOEsks4eEVdO8cqjpy7JUwKMq7MCheeb0_opsvH9XEprXRK9c_z6KNA4M0ZeadEfkdLvV41miPU7dfo8BI0CPigS3fFJIToskSuPnLcuQet5xvTbMivD-GFwaqwLieq0uWrmuuqIpDuvqaqQrVyDEIVZrFG63Mdw8OJjMdlULAsBh1128YnOUdqzYpeYd2NWk_oqi6GdXHduioH6o-ENjw_4JvB-_B3I5a4gRGpad3z_H8XS4mpyUi9ANYumSWZWR8vEYQO-wpw4ZLALroHHwrYatqOsVHt4tP4vZp_v0AfkX1HA3xCt4GLynfggDzlV00tf8aUx-7B8hEdP10MDjMUtG8E3F78CEFBUzBeQu02iIE55xB9uiskiEHIyDcjQSSuFypqeb8kaBPdGK8ZQOiQz7sTO7p9z22lZ5DspaMYN6DdL7mxlfxyW577KLJP9XIdFHM8v4AaHV_us99h5hs5B5vSOhgJ7CrNWWnr_481bktfYyi6mrKjfWH6-ZTIMDgZ14a7GZe-uP00NL9xojw86Ysjht9ivXrB7uUdZys_sqkLhocGfcJpbwRTp53qitJWiF8_cWnAoEkc5u2AoiC-1DkJ4dpVZ4y1G4x_SYsfbuUroTDsXSYtLkBHT6MTDU0_2UG2MLfCBO7MV1ZJpXMqHT5tKE6fVqKe5R-vFvyFFyePTndn5EbjHj07PGz-1mSOo9p7SKJ90TxUPlqb00xmqLD6IH7AiEE3jFIj-Fyu_wpx4qcziSI1xl9H_BbIQnR5g0RSZQi3M4M3bGBnC_eANIYnnY4JpRSJ3zASPAcCU0_bf30Bda516HYHpJc8a6qT8TLeP8PUSzTxNlmNS3FZ6J_thIuMwd8=w2053-h3651-s-no-gm
The head dissipated quickly. On the nose, light fresh aromas, nothing too strong. On the first taste, there was a light tartness like a medium cider. Perfectly pleasant and very refreshing. Light notes of lemon and a gentle crisp maltiness. Finished dry with a long hop bitterness at the end - a bit too much for my preference - are you sure this isn't just a bottle of Shipyard? :laugh8:

Haha, thanks for the review. I used American hops in this Saison, it wasn't originally intended for a swap and so I want off piste on the hops. There was cherry added to this although clearly not enough as neither the colour or aroma survived the secondary ferment but I think that accounts somewhat towards the cider like element. In any case I'm glad it was acceptable. Did you share it with someone or are the two glasses to catch the initial head?

Haha, thanks for the review. I used American hops in this Saison, it wasn't originally intended for a swap and so I want off piste on the hops. There was cherry added to this although clearly not enough as neither the colour or aroma survived the secondary ferment but I think that accounts somewhat towards the cider like element. In any case I'm glad it was acceptable. Did you share it with someone or are the two glasses to catch the initial head?
I shared it with my wife. We both enjoyed it! Thank you 😁

Drinking my final swap beer tonight...imp stout from @pilgrimhudd. Opened with a gently hiss and struck me as a thicker beer when pouring compared to the others. Not much aroma but found this to be more bitter than I was expecting. Couldn't place the flavours, but maybe malty. This one had a warning alcoholic taste...not a surprise as this was the strongest of the 3. Very nice, quite velvety, and easy to drink. Def another one to enjoy by an open fire when the temp drops more. Thanks for sharing. 👍

I really enjoyed all 3 beers. Thx all for sharing. Really enjoyed this swap.

Attachments

• IMG_20231117_204042_135.jpg
    IMG_20231117_204042_135.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
@Stu's Brews Imperial Stout is my next one.
Opened with a slight hiss and poured with a nice caramel coloured head, that disappeared quite quickly. Had a roasty smell on the nose, and a nice velvety mouth feel to it.

I found it quite bitter but after looking at the style guidelines that is how it should be. Again had a roasty warming taste to it with a hint of chocolate. I can feel the alcohol but not taste it, good job it’s 330ml, which I think is a better size.

A very nice drink thanks for sharing.

Sorry for the pour photo.

IMG_3383.jpeg

Going for the big one @samale 10%.

Quite lively going into the glass, but soon settles into a thin coffee brown head.

Aroma, I have a slight cold, but malt, lots of coffee and chocolate.

Appearance, jet black, quite viscous.

Flavour, a very balanced beer that is similar to the aroma, coffee and chocolate in abundance, hop and malty bitterness. Dark fruit and warming alcohol linger.

Mouthfeel, quite full bodied, warming.

Overall impression, a wide range of flavours, really well balanced, a really enjoyable beer, thank you for sharing!

20231118_205235.jpg

If you'll excuse my cack-handed pouring, this was @Stu's Brews 's Dubbel.

Lovely and clear, poured with a nice head and an aroma of dark sugars and just a hint of roastiness.

Moderately light on the initial flavour. Again, flavours of dark sugar, light roastiness again, with a little bit of toffee. From there though, the flavour just ramped up like a wave. It intensified a lot. Mild toffee got enriched with flavours with a slight roasted flavour and then finally mild flavours of raisins and a fair whack of port. Low bitterness, and after the giant wave of flavour, it faded down to leave a lasting warmth, but thin mouthfeel. Very digestible as the Belgians would say.

Very nice, well done Stu 👏 . Fully deserving of its medals. My wife is now complaining of a headache - how strong was it? Thank you for sharing 🙇‍♂️

PXL_20231118_195247896.jpg

Last edited:
Going for the big one @samale 10%.

Quite lively going into the glass, but soon settles into a thin coffee brown head.

Aroma, I have a slight cold, but malt, lots of coffee and chocolate.

Appearance, jet black, quite viscous.

Flavour, a very balanced beer that is similar to the aroma, coffee and chocolate in abundance, hop and malty bitterness. Dark fruit and warming alcohol linger.

Mouthfeel, quite full bodied, warming.

Overall impression, a wide range of flavours, really well balanced, a really enjoyable beer, thank you for sharing!

View attachment 92034
That beer is well aged, unfortunately the carbonation is too high. It scored 39 in the monthly competition which I think is fair enough. If the carbonation was right it would of scored higher. I get loads of chocolate, coffee and vanilla

If you'll excuse my cack-handed pouring, this was @Stu's Brews 's Dubbel.

Lovely and clear, poured with a nice head and an aroma of dark sugars and just a hint of roastiness.

Moderately light on the initial flavour. Again, flavours of dark sugar, light roastiness again, with a little bit of toffee. From there though, the flavour just ramped up like a wave. It intensified a lot. Mild toffee got enriched with flavours with a slight roasted flavour and then finally mild flavours of raisins and a fair whack of port. Low bitterness, and after the giant wave of flavour, it faded down to leave a lasting warmth, but thin mouthfeel. Very digestible as the Belgians would say.

Very nice, well done Stu 👏 . Fully deserving of its medals. My wife is now complaining of a headache - how strong was it? Thank you for sharing 🙇‍♂️

Glad you enjoyed it. It came out at 7.3%. Will share the full recipe once every has had a chance to try it.

Probably about time I started my Belgian reviews - sorry for the delay guys. Having the beers in chronological order of sending, so starting with @Jim Brewster's Cherry Saison.

The beer is very light pale gold and is crystal clear with a carbonation level that suits the beer very well.

On the aroma I get apple and maybe a hint of hops. The body / mouthfeel is light-medium I would say.

The flavour is lovely, with a peppery hop taste taking centre stage, followed by a hint of cherry in the middle. This is my favourite bit about it. I love love love cherry! I feel like the cherry rounds out the flavour in a great way. The medium bitterness comes through at the end and is nicely balanced. The yeast character is subtle.

My non-Belgian loving husband says he could drink a few of them so that's a win!
Thanks for sending Jim - lovely beer, and now I want to brew a saison! Or should I say SAISON! 😅

20231119_143840.jpg

Last edited:
Having a week of refraining from alcohol after tonight, so next up is @Agentgonzo 's Radieuse beer.

The beer is a dark amber / copper colour, with a little haze and a good-medium carbonation.

The aroma is sweet, ripe banana mixed with malty, light toffee if that makes sense.

Flavour is malt forward, and is like biting into a Highland Toffee that we used to have when we were kids (can anyone remember those?) The beer has light bitterness which is nicely balanced with the rest of the ingredients. We also get a raisin / dried fruit character. Very full flavoured - I love a beer that's this malty.

Like the first beer, the Belgian aspect of this beer is not overwhelming, which is perfect for us.

I never buy dark Belgian beers because I think I don't like them, but this is stunning!

Thanks AG, getting rather partial to your beers now! Come again! ;)

20231119_161814.jpg

Having @Stu's Brews Belgian Dubbel

Screenshot_20231121-155621-399.png

Pours clear amber/copper. Photo doesn't show but it looks really good held up to the light. Poured very cold as it's been in the fridge for a week or two, good head that dropped but not completely.

Aroma is quite subtle, feint Belgian aroma, and toffee I think.

First thoughts, surprisingly refreshing served this cold! Been outside cleaning the car before opening and it really hit the spot for refreshment. Flavour follows on from the aroma, quite subtle but very good, aware that it's a Belgian style but it's not an in-your-face clove bomb, but that's not a bad thing as it's very drinkable.

Not sure of the abv. I would guess the around 6.5-7%, still glad I opted for the small glass and will definitely enjoy the rest another time. Very good, would definitely buy this if it was on the shelf. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back