Baby Dean gas boiler conversion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob-the-dog

Reaction score
I have been given a Baby Dean 4 gallon made by w.h. Dean & son, a Burco dean group product gas fired water boiler. Has anyone converted one to electric using kettle elements etc.

If so I'd like know how and methods used

is it a SS job something like this ?

If the walls not insulated? then u can do, ;) just like popping an element into a french SS pot i would imagine? then a standard tap replacement should set you off with a hands free valve and hop filter fittings on the inside.

pics of the beast would help with more definite suggestions..

No it's a lot older, aluminium pot and an outer shall that looks like it's enamelled.
I’ll try and get pictures, good idea.

got-ya.. depends on how much u want to use it.. can be done im sure, but 4 gallons is less than 20l so after boil off and evaporation you will be looking at 12-15l beer out max with a standard ag brew, so if following a standard 23l recipe you will be using a bit of math or s/w to adjust the recipe..

u cld use hand nibblers to cut out the enamalled shell and fit a square box back to the element/s, ally wld be easier to drill the element hole with a cheaper bi metal holesaw and not need a qmax punch.
or depending on how much of the gas system u can easily remove u may even get access thru the bottom to fit a burco style element.

however might be more work than u want for something not so usable, a 50l ss french pot is only £40 or so when bought direct..
just my opinion tho,

Thanks for your throughts, I'm starting to think is it worth it. If I do I'll share progress.

Cheers,

Back