Barrel problem solved for now

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theskipper1

Reaction score
Hello all I am relatively new to this Barrel brewing as I always did it in bottles 25 years ago so it has been a bit of a learning curve and what I have learned is don’t always listen to what retailers tell you – they told me that the barrel type tap opposed to the lever type were better , so I swapped my lever for the barrel type ( which leaked badly ) so I then had to switch it back again which meant decanting my barrel and starting again , but my real problem was I worked out I was losing pressure through barrel cap caused by the seal which I had lubed with Vaseline --- to solve this issue I replaced the standard flat white cap seal with a heavy duty O Ring seal and this works brilliantly I proved both the leaking seal and the O Ring seal by pressurising the barrel and submerging it in a tank so at the minute I should be ok for a while ,any other suggestions though will be much appreciated , I have toyed with trying to source a stainless ball style tap but I am unsure what internal thread are on these standard young’s style barrels or are there better Taps out there and where to get them from, at the minute my bog standard lever style taps are holding out on both barrels ..
Many thanks Steve

With the rotary type tap, if its white and semi opaque, then you should be able to see the oval outlet port.
Ensure this is at 180° to the outlet in the barrel.

Rotating the tap fully anti clockwise, moves this oval at a position of around 120°, which is less surface area, potentially allowing the beer to escape.

Latest posts

Back