Beer recommendation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a good beer kit please. Tried a few coopers but would like to try something different?

Woodford's Wherry is beautiful, best kit I've done. Beware of the yeast though, apparently it's prone to stuck fermentation (I've done it twice and not had any issues though)

The young's American craft kits have been great for me. Working my way through my fifth....

Excellent suggestions already. I haven't done them all, but every Festival kit I've tried has been really good!

I liked the John Bull IPA and Best Bitter, the Cerveza's, Coopers or Wilko and the Youngs Harvest Pilsner are great platforms for hop additions and make really nice light fizzy ales, I do heavily prime these though. Coopers English Bitter is a "can't go wrong" brew in my book. This week I bottled a Simply Yorkshire Bitter that looked really nice and tasted great in the sampling tube but I won't get my first taste until a fortnight from today. After bottling I put on a Simply Stout that's looking great but I'll know more when I bottle it. I've also liked the Wilko Hoppy Copper and Sweet Newkie Brown but I'm heavily tweaking these.

Excellent suggestions already. I haven't done them all, but every Festival kit I've tried has been really good!

I've done a few kits, woodfordes wherry is good and probably the standard "go to" for every newbie. Although I done a festival pride of London porter and it was BY FAR and above the best brew I have ever made. Make sure to leave your brew 3 months in the bottle plus, it makes such a difference.

Another nod for Woodfordes Wherry (my first kit). I also really like Muntons Smugglers Ale, gets alot of good reviews as well. Both really good kits, I found the Smugglers especially just gets better and better the longer you leave it.

One of my mates has done quite a few kits and those two are probably the best so far, at least for our tastes.:cheers:

Muntons Smugglers Ale, gets alot of good reviews as well.

Smugglers seems to be below the radar a bit compared to other kits, but was without doubt one of the best kits I ever made. As was said, it just gets better and better. Midas Touch is also good.

I moved onto Extract then All Grain, but I must do another one of these just to compare.

A lot of people sing praises of Brew Ferm my experience is that Oud Vlaams Bruin was by far and away the best kit I have done. Wherry was pretty drinkable but this was lovely... needs min 6 month condition in bottle to get there though.

Also Brew Ferm tend to be pricey... get what you pay for though.

I did a St Peter's Ruby and it turned out pretty damned good. Brewed it short to up the strength though, because I'm a double-hard geordie b@st@rd!!

Woodfordes Nog is really good if you like a heavier beer, st Peters ruby red is nice, I've done a couple of brewferm kits which have been great, coopers dark ale and original stout are my bread and butter kits.

Woodfordes Nog is really good if you like a heavier beer, st Peters ruby red is nice, I've done a couple of brewferm kits which have been great, coopers dark ale and original stout are my bread and butter kits.
Any of the St Peters kits knock the socks off a Woodys kit in my opinion. I did one in Jan.(freezing cold) and it still fermented out to a gorgeous pint

I did a St Peter's Ruby and it turned out pretty damned good. Brewed it short to up the strength though, because I'm a double-hard geordie b@st@rd!!

When you say you brewed it short to up the strength how do you brew it short?

Latest posts

Back