BJCP, Is it worth it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'd like to take the BJCP exam so I can get a better understanding of beer: specifically a better understanding of ingredients and "how they work" as well as the ability to taste beers critically and point out off flavours and what may have caused them. Everything else on the "syllabus" looks great too. I'm not too fussed about going out my way to judge a competition, but it is fun.

It would also be good to meet up with others and study together - try beers, go over notes etc.

From those who have done this before, would I be able to achieve these goals? did you do the BJCP exam and think "that's fun!" or "what is this sh*t??"

The BJCP exam is torture. However, learning the guts of what is needed to be a decent beer judge is worth it. Hopefully you have an opportunity to 'study' with an organized group to cover styles and flaws to enhance your brewing knowledge. Being able to detect and correct flaws in your own brews is an important skill for a great brewer. Sadly, there aren't enough brewers out there that have that ability.

I'd really like to do it, I think I will get a better understanding of beer. I jut need to find the time...

There is also a downside.
The more you learn to taste off flavours, the more you will detect them.
Thats a very useful skill to improve your beers, but also diminishes your pleasure ^^

Yep, my wife complains that I'm too critical of beers when we go out. It is difficult to turn off that ability to detect flaws once you learn to recognize them. However, it doesn't diminish the pleasure of finding beer that is well-made. The type of training recommended by BJCP is still worthwhile.

I did a degree in music, and during this time I was a music journalist, I spent 3 years (and more) critically listening to music in ways most people don't and it ruined music for me. Even now I'm not over it. In a way I feel I'm going down the same route as beer, but in a much healthier way. Whereas I get irrationally annoyed at bad music, I don't at all feel the same way about beer. My point being it's a rabbit hole I'm looking to go down in.

Latest posts

Back