Bread baking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hmm: :hmm:

BB those kenwoods are not cheap how did you manage to let yourself buy one of those :whistle: :whistle:

There can't be any moths left in your wallet now :lol: :lol:

:lol: We're still making bread but in a more lazy way than ever...let the machine mix and prove once, then let it knock back for 10 mins, straight into bread tin...jobs a good'un. Present liked mix 1 part seeded flour to 5 parts strong white.

interesting topic, i don't make my own bread, but i do make a dutch speciallity every now and then.
Bread filled with minced meat. I don't know how to translate it to English properly, but i really like it, it's easy to make and tasty!
I've brought some over to friends in the UK when i hop over the water and almost all of them like it :)

It's a speciallity from the south where i live, and somehow ended up as a Christmas tradition. So at Christmas evening, a lot of people are eating them. I learned it from my neighbour, who makes 5000 rolls in the last months leading up to Christmas, next to his daily job!

I try to keep it to 140 at a time, and it's just about manageble with 2 people and a big oven (which i bought specifically for this job, as the small built in oven at my parents house is too small and the final baking takes absolutely ages).

This is a pic i made when i made the last batch of 140, a couple of months ago, all gone now, so tomorrow i'm doing another batch :)

worstenbrood.jpg

graysalchemy said:

BB those kenwoods are not cheap how did you manage to let yourself buy one of those :whistle: :whistle:

Some things are exempt from Yorkshire thriftiness............. Anything shiny and uses yeast..... Breweries and Kenwoods. :D :D

I was going to buy a cheap and cheerful mixer but did a bit of research and the Kenwood came out on top.. I've got the KMC570

BB :drink:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
graysalchemy said:

Some things are exempt from Yorkshire thriftiness............. Anything shiny and uses yeast..... Breweries and Kenwoods. :D :D

I was going to buy a cheap and cheerful mixer but did a bit of research and the Kenwood came out on top.. I've got the KMC570

BB :drink:

Sounds very much like where I got to. I was going to get a cheap mixer but ended up with the Kenwood KMC010. Glad I did as it's excellent and shiny.

I looked at one of those kenwoods Kmix today but at nearly £300 way out of my league. they look stylish but they didn't seem to have much umpf at only 500w motor. though your KMC570 is 1000w.

graysalchemy said:
I looked at one of those kenwoods Kmix today but at nearly £300 way out of my league. they look stylish but they didn't seem to have much umpf at only 500w motor. though your KMC570 is 1000w.

My KMC010 has a 1400 watt motor, I wouldn't try and mix a large batch of dough with only 500 watts.

I can mix a batch with 1kg of flour in it quite happily.

Now all I need is a wood burner, that looks amazing BB.

I actually don't really knead bread anymore going for the long slow fermentation with a few stretch and folds, especially if you are using high hydration dough (70%). My best baguettes recently took 36 hrs from mixing to backing and usually i do a 24 hr make. As long as my sour dough has been stepped up for a few days and is in peek condition then I get great bread.

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Bread day again, wood burner heat is great for making the dough rise....

Cold garage in winter or fridge in summer but then that is the difference between a long rise sourdough and yeasted bread.

Great looking dough :thumb: :thumb:

Couldn't bear to throw away the yeast and trub from a recent London Pride clone, so used it to make some bread and rolls last night.
Any one else use the yeast from the FV to bake with ??
RD

Here goes!!! First attempt at sourdough. A 100% rye.

Nice bubbly starter
hebapasu.jpg

nu6y3yga.jpg

Stuff
qa6e5a6a.jpg

Dough
my4y6uvy.jpg

Now tucked up for a nice long slow ferment for baking this evening.

Fingers crossed!

Great looking dough C looking forward to seeing it.

I made a few loaves today I will post tommorow :whistle:

Well it's in the oven...

I feel like I did with my first brew!!! I want to just sit here for the next however many minutes and watch it, make sure it's OK...

Ten minutes in and we have sourdough smells, rising and rustic cracking of the top...

epebaryn.jpg

Well it smells amazing, looks PDG...

Hope the taste lives up!!!

u3ajazy6.jpg

It really does! F**cking delicious!!! :party:

u3atu8e5.jpg

yny8u4at.jpg

Back