Brewing a smoked porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artiums_enteri

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm brewing a smoked porter tomorrow. I'm actually excited, for this is my first attempt at a smoked beer. My wife threw the starter on the stir plate last night, and I'm fixing to smoke my malt. I'm using 2 pounds American 2 row malt and smoking it over hickory in my smoke pit.

We brewed my smoked porter yesterday, and everything went as planned. I was quite happy being a first attempt. I was 2 points off my OG, but I'm not going to fret over that. At 1.060 OG it will be a nice middle of the road beer.

I'm not sure I got the amount of smoke I was looking for though. I may have to double the smoked malt next time we brew this. Only time will tell. All and all 5 hours in the brew house was a success.

I've never brewed a smoked beer but from what I read the smoke can easily overpower.
Think you made the right call to under-smoke on the first run!

You could always add some smoked bacon or cheese to the secondary.... ;)

Yeah that's what I've read too, but after doing some research there is a big difference between peated smoked malt which can destroy a beer if taken overboard and a lightly smoked 2 row a brewer makes at home. It's still in the experimental stage. This is v 1.0.

Smoke concentrate is sold in tesco if you look hard enough. Skips the smokin process. Ive made a smoked mead before with this.

Latest posts

Back