brewing from bulk LME > cerveza

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldskool

Reaction score
hi, im fairly new to home brewing and so far have only gone from wilkos cerveza cans which i really like but want to buy bulk LME.
now as i understand it the cans are pre hopped where the bulk LME is not, i can find all grain recipes or instructions to go from a can but no in between using LME as a base.
so my question is does anybody have a recipe/method to get me something similar to a cerveza using muntons light LME as the base?
i dont have any extraction equipment but boiling it and adding some hops is not beyond my ability though i only have a stock pot and a cooker nothing industrial sized lol
is this gonna be possible for me or am i better sticking to the cans?
tia

What most of us think of as cerveza is actually a wheat beer, as that is easier and hence cheaper to grow in Mexico. Most recipes contain 40-60% wheat malt with mostly bittering hops, little flavour/aroma but European "noble" hops work best. It is for the cloying flavour of the wheat malt that Westerners developed the practice of adding lime or lemon.

Having said that, I gave up on lagering around the time I was messing with trying to produce that style as too difficult, but as I recall a 50/50 wheat/light barley malts bittered to around 18 IBU and some Saaz at 5 minutes gets you close. It must be lagered, preferably bottled off the yeast, but the addition of a bit of bitter lemon peel can lift it out of the doldrums.

Hi oldskool I don't have a recipe for a cerveza but you could try searching brewer's friend.Here is a screenshot of a recipe I looked at.
0c46b05b4956facf2504b8e80f87be26.jpg

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

hi, im fairly new to home brewing and so far have only gone from wilkos cerveza cans which i really like but want to buy bulk LME.
now as i understand it the cans are pre hopped where the bulk LME is not, i can find all grain recipes or instructions to go from a can but no in between using LME as a base.
so my question is does anybody have a recipe/method to get me something similar to a cerveza using muntons light LME as the base?
i dont have any extraction equipment but boiling it and adding some hops is not beyond my ability though i only have a stock pot and a cooker nothing industrial sized lol
is this gonna be possible for me or am i better sticking to the cans?
tia

You might want to consider dry malt extract. It's easier to measure out an exact amount, it keeps way better than liquid, and it's easier to get a nice light yellow color with it.

What size is your stock pot ?
I used to brew the coopers cerveza kits and after 4 weeks in the bottle you couldn't tell the difference between them & corona, after 6 weeks it was better. If i was trying to brew something on the same lines i would probably go with 3kg of the extract and about 500g of corn sugar to bring it up to desired abv (around 5%)
The size of your stock pot is going to be an important variable when choosing bittering hops you could go with about 25g saaz and boil for 60 mins but that would require a full boil volume, the smaller your pot the mote bittering hops you need. ferment out with either mangrove jacks M54 California common or Crossmyloof steam yeast. keep temps around 20c for 3 weeks.

hi thanks for all the responses my stock pot is probably only 5 liters tops nowhere near a 23l full batch lol perhaps i could get a bigger one but i imagine one 25L size would cost a pretty penny

hi thanks for all the responses my stock pot is probably only 5 liters tops nowhere near a 23l full batch lol perhaps i could get a bigger one but i imagine one 25L size would cost a pretty penny

I'm gonna say its not possible with a 5L pot, unless you want to do a very small batch. remember that if your pot is 5L you need room for hot break / boil over.

check out some of these :

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/beer-wine-equipment-heaters-and-boilers-c-2_28.html

You can get 5% off using the forum discount code and even though they are quite expensive you wont regret it.

you could do a 5l pot stove top brew but it would be better to get a 10-15l stockpot for the job

many brewers use budget PP or hdpe buckets and barrels fitted with recycled kettle elements for a brewday kettle,,

I'm gonna say its not possible with a 5L pot, unless you want to do a very small batch. remember that if your pot is 5L you need room for hot break / boil over.

check out some of these :

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/beer-wine-equipment-heaters-and-boilers-c-2_28.html

You can get 5% off using the forum discount code and even though they are quite expensive you wont regret it.

21L pan looks good to me for a full length extract brew, since you have a 4-5L second pan. You can do a decent boil between the two, for a DME extract batch and could make a very decent Partial Mash brew with grains using a bag and the 21L pot.

Latest posts

Back