Brewlabs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just pitched a Yorkshire Ale yeast I bought from Brewlabs before Malt Miller started distributing them, I like their no nonsense method for the starter culture.
It takes me back to the days (1970's !) when I cultured yeast from bottles of Guinness , so I dug out my old thermos food flask from the depths of the garage to make a micro mash, here is the starter after 48 hours:

Yeast Starter.jpg

I will buy some dried malt extract to make life easier in the future.

Nice, I just kicked off a starter of Brewlab Thames Valley 1 today for a British Golden Ale. I’m going to build it up to a 1 litre starter after this one.

323FC3EA-277A-4C7A-8DE8-C2E9EEC42850.jpeg

I may well be in a minority here but am I the only one that wishes that perhaps there were just a few more Brewlab offerings available as standard? It feels to me that there are comparable yeasts available from liquid yeast manufacturers for several of the Brewlab offerings, or they are POF+ or liable to isoamyl acetate which I am wary of (I will give Sussex a go soon). I just wish there were a few offerings that gave us both something unique from liquid yeast manufacturers as well as having the benefits of yeast slopes, especially with a number of the more characterful liquid British yeasts becoming difficult to get due to being vault strains etc.

Back