Cash or card

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cash or card.

• I would be happy to move to card only.

• I prefer cash and don't want to go card only.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Today's topic on breakfast radio is the move towards a cashless some people phoning in are saying they never want to go cashless and some are saying they are alteady close to card only payments now, businesses are saying it's bad for them as they are charged a percent by the banks, what are your views on this?

I hated the idea of paying for everything with cards but when I saw the local ice cream van taking payment off young kids with cards I realised cash has had its day, we will eventually go cashless whether we like it or not or should I say when all us olds who want to keep cash are gone , TBH I now pay for most things cashless and one good thing is it's going to make your local drug dealers job a lot harder..

Last edited:
The only thing I've spent cash on in the last 5 years is the window cleaner and the barber, both of who request cash. Everything else has been card.

I stopped spending coins 10 years ago on everything except parking meters - I would spend mostly on card, but cash was notes only and any change went straight into a charity collection pot.

I hated the idea of paying for everything with cards but when I saw the local ice cream van taking payment off young kids with cards I realised cash has had its day, we will eventually go cashless whether we like it or not or should I say when all us olds who want to keep cash are gone , TBH I now pay for most things cashless and one good thing is it's going to make your local drug dealers job a lot harder..
Don't they all take payment in Bit Coins these days 😁

I'm a card user for most things these days. Have been for a long time especially since the advent of cashback credit cards, the current one I have gives me 0.5% back of everything I spend on it though I see the Chase debit card now offers 1%. I just do my monthly spend on the credit card then settle it in full at the end of each month. It all adds up.

It will screw anyone doing cash in hand work though and sometimes that works both ways. We've had work done at home where we've paid them an element in cash and got a better price, I won't go into the details as to why 😉

Today's topic on breakfast radio is the move towards a cashless some people phoning in are saying they never want to go cashless and some are saying they are alteady close to card only payments now, businesses are saying it's bad for them as they are charged a percent by the banks, what are your views on this?
I have mixed views on this so can't vote as whilst I am happy to go cashless, I would want more protection for people to have the right to a bank account a legal requirement. It does raise the amount of power banks can have after all this cancellation kerfuffle that went on recently.

If you are a succesful trader and make a lot of cash you have to bank it and that's a security risk plus the extra requirements to have a float, so cash on premisis. If you therefore hire securitas or securicor to transport/bank cash there's a charge for that.

If not already there should be legislation to limit the %age charged for small businesses / small transactions.

Finally IT failure, best to have a mastercard and a visa card so if one network goes down you can pay on the other. Just pay off the full amount by DD every month and directly spreaking it doesn't cost you a bean.

If you are a succesful trader and make a lot of cash you have to bank it and that's a security risk plus the extra requirements to have a float, so cash on premisis. If you therefore hire securitas or securicor to transport/bank cash there's a charge for that

This is a good point and was discussed earlier, one business owner said she would be happy if it went cashless as they now only have one bank in her town and it's not hers so she has to drive to another branch pay to park and carry cash to the bank, we are in the same position here we used to have four banks the last one is due to close soon, the nearest town is a 16 mile round trip and you cannot get into the town centre in a car.

I use card or phone i can't remember the last time i used cash, i think the only people this will hurt are those who work for cash in hand and the black economy, we both have monzo cards with a minimum of £100-00 in as well as our main cards, we use the monzo for day to day stuff like petrol and small stuff so if you do get scammed most they get is £100-00, it's credit card for big stuff, the main cards do not get used on the net for anything, My main concern is as stated above and that is the amount of control the banks will have so some legislation is needed to protect people from heavy handed tactics, and there will have to be something in place for oldie's who are not tech savvy and those who refuse point blank and want cash only how that would work i don't know, so yeah i have no objections

I like to carry cash as its easier to bargain.
I always have a bag of change in the van for parking as I can't stand faffing about with apps.
My local bank has now shut which is a pain as I can't pop in to pick up a lump and cashpoint only allows £250 a day withdrawal.
Also its easier to spend on a card, actual cash makes you feel a bit more careful.
Cashless society is also not great for all those who rely on tips for a living wage.
When it's included on a bill, staff have to rely on goodwill of the employer to pass it on.

I still miss the little brown wages envelopes heavy with notes and coins I used to get when I started work - you really felt you'd earned it !

At the moment retailers get charged per card transaction. That means they give part of their sale to the bank.
At the moment consumer transactions are free.
If or when it goes cashless what do you think will happen....?
So,I buy something...get charged,the retailer gets charged. He uses his profit to live..buy goods and services...for which he gets charged AND charged to buy the goods and services. All charges go to the bank. Eventually the value in that money will all be consumed by the bank...

Another poll with insufficient options. What about happy to use both?
Can't get rid of cash anyway, dissenfranchises too many people. How are you going to give a quid to a busker if you don't have cash?

Another poll with insufficient options. What about happy to use both?
Can't get rid of cash anyway, dissenfranchises too many people. How are you going to give a quid to a busker if you don't have cash?

Many buskers are using contactless card readers now.

I barely carry my wallet these days. Anything that reduces the number of things in my pockets, I'm all for.

I've had a few interesting conversations with small shop owners. My local barber prefers cash because the card charges for what they do are prohibitively expensive. It cuts into his profit per haircut too much.
However, the owner of a small beer and wine shop in Edinburgh had the opposite stance. Even though they pay the same rates as the local barber, they are card only. For them, the overhead of having to maintain cash on the premises, take it to the bank and pay deposit charges (🤯) are comparable to the credit card changes. And without keeping cash on the premises, their insurance is cheaper and they don't have the fear of being mugged on the way from the shop to the bank at closing time. He said that card-only worked out cheaper in the long run for him.

The thing is it banks also charge to deposit cash (typically a fixed %) so unless you can settle a large chunk of your business expenses in cash them it is questionable how much you will actually save being cash only.

Majority of my transactions are by card (phone)
The only cash transactions are barbers, wife's hairdressers and the dog groomer.
What is the correlation between cash and hair I wonder?
Oh, window cleaner is bank transfer, so non cash (card?) I'd guess.

Latest posts

Back