Cheap hlt/boiler?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats bloody cheap!

anyone know if this would be good for BIAB? although that dodgy on off switch would worry me haha

I'm selling my 18L burco because I need a bigger one for my hlt, will be buying it soon!

Can't see any reason why you can't use it for biab.

What brew lengths do you do?

I'd be very doubtful about this for BIAB without a bit more info; particularly output of the element and whether it would be capable of holding a good rolling boil.
I was advised when I started this hobby to invest money in buying decent equipment rather than getting 'cheap', as you'll only end up replacing it and spending more in the long run. Fortunately, my only mistake was i got a 30 litre buffalo instead of a 40 litre, and I ended up upgrading without making a loss so no dramas. Even the stock pot I bought for miniBIAB is great as a fermenter for 2 gallon batches of mead.
Seriously think about saving and investing in decent stuff. I've seen buffalo 40s going for £60 at times...

So would this make a good HLT then? I was planning to make my own from a polypropylene FV but if this would do an effective job I might not bother? After buying all the bits and pieces for it this doesn't work out much more expensive!

Absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work as a hlt that I can see. It's what I use it for! It doesn't need to boil the water so getting a rolling boil isn't a problem. Only thing you might want to change is the tap?

For not much more you can get a b grade Buffalo boiler which I would think would be a better investment. Even as a HLT it will be there as a backup to the main boiler for a brew day failure.

dx4100 said:
For not much more you can get a b grade Buffalo boiler which I would think would be a better investment. Even as a HLT it will be there as a backup to the main boiler for a brew day failure.

any links to any of these b grade buffalo's?

.....ive not managed to find any even close to that price yet

I have this boiler now and its great for biab , I did need to move the temp probe off the bottom as soon as hit 100oc it stopped boiling . what I did was cover the probe in heat shrink and strap it too one of the supporting legs.

good to know! now I need to decide where to spend....... a keg and tap or this to start my BIAB adventure!

scott-ayling said:
I have this boiler now and its great for biab , I did need to move the temp probe off the bottom as soon as hit 100oc it stopped boiling . what I did was cover the probe in heat shrink and strap it too one of the supporting legs.

Did you get it from the seller on eBay?

Latest posts

Back