Cheap & Simple Tropical Punch - A BBQ MUST

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed in th Tesco sale that they gave Ronison's F&B for 2 for £2 and their own brand for 2 for £1.50. Might need to make a visit tomorrow...I gave 2 empty 5L bottles screaming to used.... :whistle:

Dianamyte I too tried this recipe more to try to convert the swmbo to home brew but was way too dry for her I would recommend increasing the amount of sugar to get the alcohol content but check with a hydrometer in the wine section of it till it hits the sweet section then add a tspoon of stabiliser powder to end fermentation. Swmbo was a lot happier with the results sweet but nice abc content

I've had this in a demijohn for nearly a week. It's overflowed 6 times through the airlock...had to clean it out everyday at least once...

No, I'm using empty 5 L water bottles. Must be just over 4L full. It seems to have calmed down today.

So I went to my local HB shop to get some of the Youngs Super Wine Yeast but they don't stock it. The lady wasn't sure what made it so super but gave me these instead.

ac35d94f17c5cc1e4ea4fb3430c19d02.jpg

Will this work OK or do I need to get the Youngs stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those will be fine, add a teaspoon of nutrient to every one of yeast.

Hey Chippy. Just to be clear, 1 tsp of yeast (instead of the super yeast) and 1tsp of the nutrient as per the instructions in the first post or am I creating my own super yeast with 1 tsp & 1tsp and then adding more nutrient later as well?

Those will be fine, add a teaspoon of nutrient to every one of yeast.

Hey Chippy. Just to be clear, 1 tsp of yeast (instead of the super yeast) and 1tsp of the nutrient as per the instructions in the first post or am I creating my own super yeast with 1 tsp & 1tsp and then adding more nutrient later as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just one teaspoon of yeast and one teaspoon of nutrient at the beggining, you don't need to add any more later.

After just 5 days in the fermenter, it seems both of my batches have finished fermenting with a FG of around 0.998 on both from an OG of 1.049 on one and 1.041 on the other. One is made from tropical cordial and one is made from strawberry and kiwi cordial. The problem with it I have is that both have seemed to have lost the taste of the cordial from the samples I tried after measuring the gravity. They don't seem too nice to drink at the minute because of that.

Would bottling them and leaving them for a few weeks or so potentially help the cordial flavour come out and allow the taste to be more palatable or are they a lost cause? I tried adding cordial to the sample and there was still a bit of a not so nice taste afterwards so I'm not sure if backsweetening them will help too much.

did you use the no added sugar varieties of cordial, with artificial sweetener listed in the ingredients ?

After just 5 days in the fermenter, it seems both of my batches have finished fermenting with a FG of around 0.998 on both from an OG of 1.049 on one and 1.041 on the other. One is made from tropical cordial and one is made from strawberry and kiwi cordial. The problem with it I have is that both have seemed to have lost the taste of the cordial from the samples I tried after measuring the gravity. They don't seem too nice to drink at the minute because of that.

Would bottling them and leaving them for a few weeks or so potentially help the cordial flavour come out and allow the taste to be more palatable or are they a lost cause? I tried adding cordial to the sample and there was still a bit of a not so nice taste afterwards so I'm not sure if backsweetening them will help too much.
These finished fast I would put money on the fact they will become nicer if left longer. Also straight from the fermenter they haven't conditioned yet.

did you use the no added sugar varieties of cordial, with artificial sweetener listed in the ingredients ?
Yes I did with both flavours. And I used the fruit and barley versions. Basically I followed the recipe apart from adding a bit more sugar from what I had left over.

These finished fast I would put money on the fact they will become nicer if left longer. Also straight from the fermenter they haven't conditioned yet.
I bottled them on saturday and am going to leave them for some amount of time. We'll have to see whether they become nicer in the coming weeks or not.

I've got a tropical & summer fruits on the go, thanks to second2none for the recipe, looking forward to testing it out at the next bbq.

I just used a couple of 5L water bottles from the supermarket with the lids just placed back on, seem to be fizzing away happily now.

The tropical came out with an OG of 1.035 and the summer fruits 1.032

2016-05-15 14.19.26.jpg

I use the NAS summer fruits barley version, it comes out sweet but not such a strong flavour, so I mix it with a version made with raspberry lowicz that is dry but a better flavour, this makes a lovely fruity version that the ladies love so no more buying that krappabog cider!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back