Cheeky Vimto

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marrsy86 said:
After looking for WGJ in ASDA I found this.....

56d91a8d.jpg

Now I have normal, cherry and Strawberry Vimto fermenting away :)

Can't see the pic as I'm at work but I'm assuming that's the cherry juice they do? I bought some of that to pop in my fake Jacques but never bothered in the end, although if you try some with vodka and amaretto it is like an alcoholic, liquid bakewell tart! :thumb:

They also do a lemon and lime one which I thought about perhaps using for the base of an alcoholic lemonade but I suppose using actual lemons would be probably be cheaper.

Fergmeister said:
Can't see the pic as I'm at work but I'm assuming that's the cherry juice they do? I bought some of that to pop in my fake Jacques but never bothered in the end, although if you try some with vodka and amaretto it is like an alcoholic, liquid bakewell tart! :thumb:

They also do a lemon and lime one which I thought about perhaps using for the base of an alcoholic lemonade but I suppose using actual lemons would be probably be cheaper.

Nope Strawberry :thumb:

Update,

Just taken a reading and the Pineapple delight is down to 994 from and 1058 and the tropic thunder is down to 992 from 1054 :shock:

Both still have a head on and are still quite sweet. Using the calculator they will be 8.5% and 8.2% respectively, but i still think it has more to go! :drunk:

Marrsy86 said:
Fergmeister said:

Nope Strawberry :thumb:
Ah right, I thought you were on about the chilled cartons of juice lol.

This forum is awesome! I have a list of about 6 things in my head that I would like to try brewing but I think it's going to be that Polish raspberryade stuff.

So many brews, so little time...

Mmm...i may have a problem, maybe someone could help. :wha:

Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Delight are slowing down but still have a head on them.I started them on 1st October so i would have expected that to be gone by now.

Both taste fine so i have given thenm both a shake to see what happens and was considering racking to another vessel and leaving it for a few more weeks.

I would appreciate any thoughts you experts may have?

I have done a fair few batches of this now mate and I have found some keep a slight froth on the top of the brew. I'm guessing it might be due to the boiling time of the Vimto and how much praservative is left in but that's totally theory.

It may have something to do with it getting colder too if they are kept outside.

Ive got them in my conservatory at the mo and its definately colder out there. :hmm:

Should i warm them up a bit and see what happens? Would racking to a different vessel do the trick?

How are your ones getting on?

I would just leave them, will only take a few days extra to ferment at a colder temperature. The froth might just come back if it is preservatives so I would literally leave it where it it until it has fermented out.

Mine are coming fine. Get to taste one tonight that's had 4 weeks to mature so I'm looking forward to that :)

Cheers

Marrsy

i plan on getting 5 litres of this on the go tomorrow when i get some ingredients and bits n pieces but need a little advice on something.

i have a demijon on order and a hydrometer so to check alcohol content am i right in thinking i
take a hydrometer reading of the apple juice vimto and sugar from the demijohn before i put in any yeast ?
also i take readings at various times during fermentation ?
and final readings at end of fermentation and do a calculation of 1st and last reading to get my alcohol content ?

this is where i get confused .
my locol brew shop has saved me a trial jar not sure how big it is but how much brew do i put into the trial jar to test with hydrometer?
i think i read somewhere that a 1000ml but thats a litre ? 3 readings would then be 3 litres and demijon only 5 litres so that leaves 2 litres of brew left . am i being thick or can the brew poured to test be poured back into demijon ?
thanks

Hi Lancslad,

Thats what ive been doing Hydrometer wise. I asked exactly the same question as you have and it seems that is correct...well, i havent been told otherwise! :thumb:

With my vimto i took a reading at the beginning (1st Oct) and another 1 1/2 weeks later. The reason that you take several at the end is to ensure that fermentation has finished prior to bottling. The reading should be the same on three consecutive days before you are safe to carbonate in a bottle. :cheers:

Hark at me giving advice! Im only a newbie myself :whistle:

All the best,

Dave

As long as im giving out the correct advice! :whistle:

I'm sure i'll be corrected if i get it wrong :thumb:

cheers for that davey . am i right in thinking then that you poured your trial sample back into demijon
?
thanks
and im sure it be a while before im offering any advice . sorry all questions for now

lancslad said:
cheers for that davey . am i right in thinking then that you poured your trial sample back into demijon
?
thanks
and im sure it be a while before im offering any advice . sorry all questions for now

Don't be sorry for asking questions mate we all start somewhere. Provided you sanitise your hydrmiter and trial jar you should be ok putting it back in the Demijohn but maybe you could drink it as a taster :cheers:

Personally I only take a reading at the start and finish. Off the top of my head my trial jar only holds 200ml liquid for the hydrometer to work, remember you only need to get the bottom of the hydrometer off the base of your jar for it to work so that's rarly needing to fill it.

thanks for that marrsy
cant wait to get started gonna try the werthers vodka i seen on here too althought thats not brewing ,
missus wants me to try making an ale for her dad so i gonna be busy

lancslad said:
thanks for that marrsy
cant wait to get started gonna try the werthers vodka i seen on here too althought thats not brewing ,
missus wants me to try making an ale for her dad so i gonna be busy

Haha I made a brew for my father in law it scores you some points :thumb:

If you don't have an all grain set up then pop into the beer and ale discussion forum and ask them to recommend a good kit, I'm sure they will be helpful but I'm almost exclusively a cider/wine/mead man.

ok so today i had a go at this heres what i did
brought to boil then simmerd for 20 mins 1 litre of vimto and added 250 grams of sugar.
let it cool down and added 1 cup of black tea stewed 20 mins (2 tea bags) to the vimto .
poured vimto into 5 litre demijon then added 4 litres of apple juice.

i put my hydrometer into a trial jar till the hydrometer floated and it read at 2 lines under number 60 (help me on this please)
i poured the trial jar sample back into demijon and added
1tbl spoon pectolose ,tbl spoon of yeast nuitriant and 1tbl spoon of safale so4.
i then gave a good shake and put on the airlock ,
its now sitting there on my sideboard like flat vimto but i only did this at 4.45 today and the yeast is sitting on the bottom.

the temp is around 22 deg .

is everything done as should be ?
when should i start to see some activity ?

lancslad said:
is everything done as should be ?
when should i start to see some activity ?

Sounds like its been done well, you might have filled the DK up a bit too much at the start it should only be upto the shoulders for now as the yeast might kick out start climbing up the airlock but its and easy fix, just keep cleaning it till it calms down.

You should see some activity over the next 24 hours :thumb:

Latest posts

Back