Cheeky Vimto

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go ahead, It's a fun drink and nobody has said they haven't liked it, not even the Aussies :thumb:

Ive just bottled my first batch of 8X500ml bottles of this and the sample jar contents was fantastic :thumb: It came out at 8.3% abv. Out of those 8 bottles 6 are spoken for so ive put a second batch on this afternoon but left out the sugar to make it more user friendly. The OG on 2nd batch is 1.064 as opposed to 1.075 of 1st batch. It will still ferment ok without brewing sugar wont it :wha: or have a droped a clanger :oops:.

No problems without the sugar! I just like it working fatser on the Mrs :D Makes it last longer and less brewing it!

muddydisco said:
I just like it working fatser on the Mrs :D Makes it last longer and less brewing it!

I like your thinking MD. :thumb:

And dont worry im sure one day I will feel confident enough to STOP asking stupid questions :whistle:

If you didn't ask questions we wouldn't get to know each other!!!
And I wouldn't know who's mad enough to try my recipe!
I really can't beleive how this has grown :grin: I must of done something right
Still wouldn't touch a tommy wine though :rofl:

Muddy i think i will try ribena. I want to make a 5 litre batch so could you give me a quick briefing on quantities ect.

I'd go for 750ml of ribeana and 4 ltr apple juice to make it easy. Top up with water or apple juice to 5ltr if you want?
Check your gravity and see how you go.

I don't know, you will need to look at your gravity once all mixed and work out if you need it stronger, then put a ltr of your mixed juice in a sauce pan and boil in the sugar if you need it.
Really it's down to You. Use the ABV calculator to see what you will be expecting % wise. Don't forget this will go down as low as 1.000 or more

After reading all the rave reviews i finally got a 5 Ltr on the go.

I thought i had a sachet of cider yeast but i couldnt find it so had to use all purpose white, we'll see how it comes out!!

725ml vimto boiled
150grm sugar
4ltrs apple juice
1 tsp nutrient
youngs all purpose cheapy yeast.

Its going like the clappers. The house smelt nice as well during the boiling process.

I also found that if you carefully cut both corners of juice cartons it pours straight out, no gurgling. :party:

Will this drop out clearor need finings?

CC :drink:

Hello, just a quick question, I started this brew on sunday with a sg of 1070, done a test today and it is 1022 so I believe this to be around 6.5%. I just want to know is this drink meant to be a fizzy drink or flat as tomorrow night ill be adding campden tablets and potassium sorbate as I dont want it to be over 8% and if i bottle this and want it fizzy the potassium sorbate will stop the secondary fermentation in the bottle. Is this correct?
I dont mind a flat drink, im just not sure how this is meant to turn out, hope you can follow my post!

Cheers Paddy.

I did the same as you but kegged it and added a bit of co2 just to get a little fizz. But nothing like commercial fizz. It's good which ever way you do it, flat or fizzy :D

Latest posts

Back