Cider from a kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
The missus is thinking of hijacking my f.v and bottles to brew some cider from a kit. After giving this thought could anyone please give me some infor.
1. Can you get a good cider from a kit

2. which is the best kit to go for.

Regards.
:cheers:

Is Turbo Cider not an option ?

I have never used kits for Cider, only Lager and prefer the juice based brews. I have tried a cup of my Lager kit every weekend and it defo improves alot over it's first month! I was considering putting my kit down the drain after the taste test last weekend and filling my keg with Cider but it has earnt it's place at my Haloween party so I will keep it.

Cheers

Marrsy

Check out this thread I have it listed there, in my opinion, Turbo Cider is Cheaper, Faster and alot more customisable.

Defiantly worth a try.

Use the 56p Apple juice from Tesco :thumb:

Fow what kits are concerned I would reccomend the Magnum Apple Cider. Beware, the box says to mature for 2 weeks before it would be ready. My reccomendation is to leave it at least 2 months before drinking it.

I have also tried Muntons Autumn Blush Cider Kit. I found this quite disappointing so I would not reccomend it.

Turbo cider is definetely better than any kit.

Regards

Hi all found this turbo recipe on line could anyone answer a few points I'm not sure about.
Here goes.
1.Further down the recipe it says Leave to ferment out. How long? I don't have e demijohn never done wine or cider but I'm assuming it means till the bubbles have stopped bubbling in the air lock.
2. It says rack off and drink or if you like fizzy cider put into 2lt bottles and 2 tsp of sugar. Ill be bottling mine so what does rack off mean.
Sorry for sounding thick to what must seem very basic instructions. :whistle:

cask is best said:
Hi all found this turbo recipe on line could anyone answer a few points I'm not sure about.
Here goes.
1.Further down the recipe it says Leave to ferment out. How long? I don't have e demijohn never done wine or cider but I'm assuming it means till the bubbles have stopped bubbling in the air lock.
2. It says rack off and drink or if you like fizzy cider put into 2lt bottles and 2 tsp of sugar. Ill be bottling mine so what does rack off mean.

Look under Racking ;) glossary.php
You'll find this at the top left of the forums under Glossary .

cask is best said:
Here goes.

I fixed that link mate so the Turbo Cider one should work fine now.

Thats what Ferment out means and the time taken changes depending on a few factors but I usually tend to have a 1 gallon batch fermented out after 7 days.

Racking off basically means siphoning the brew off the lees (dead yeast) into a clean container.

Cheers

Marrsy

Marrsy86 said:
cask is best said:
Here goes.

I fixed that link mate so the Turbo Cider one should work fine now.

Thats what Ferment out means and the time taken changes depending on a few factors but I usually tend to have a 1 gallon batch fermented out after 7 days.

Racking off basically means siphoning the brew off the lees (dead yeast) into a clean container.

Cheers

Marrsy
:thumb: Sorted. And thanks

I make cider from brew buddy cider kits. once gassed and bottled i leave them for over 3 months and there pretty good.

She went out and got a Black Rock pure New Zealand cider kit. Makes 40 pints. I reckon if she starts it this week she should be okay for Christmas.
:cheers:

I would be tempted to reduce that kit down to 32 pints, I have the same one and I'm told it can be watery to the taste. Also maybe chuck some apple juice in there as a replacement for some of the sugar.

Other half got some of that Stella cidre over the week end. Don't quote me as i have claimed the bottles and they have been cleaned and stored but i think it was around 4%. Any way she said it was rubbish and won't buy any more.

Latest posts

Back