Citra lovely Citra

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteplus1

Regular.
Reaction score
Still on the learning curve and attempting brew no.8 soon. I have just received my citra hops and looking to do a hoppy easy drinking but tasty as hell pale. Could anyone suggest a tried and tested recipe to me solely using citra please or should I add a little bittering hop at the start too? Have the usual maris otter, also have some caramalt, crystal, Munich left over too. Looking for about a 20L brew.

How about 5kg pale malt, 250g crystal and 50g challenger Hops for the bittering. Add 50g citra at 15mins and 50g at flame out.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I'm hopefully planning a single Hop Citra Brew this weekend if I can find the time - I have all the ingredients ready to go, this is what I was planning:

5.4kg Maris Otter
10g Citra @ 60 mins
10g Citra @ 45mins
20g Citra @ 30mins
20g Citra @ 15 mins
20g Citra @ 10 mins
20g Citra @ Flameout
50g Citra Dry Hop

Should hit about 60ish IBU's.

Aiming for OG of 1056 (so hopefully around 5.6 - 6% ABV range)

I done this recipe and it's the best brew I've done, it's a lovely easy drinking pale ale with plenty of citrus from the hops and a nice hint of fruitiness from the yeast.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63352

I'm with MyQul, no need to use Citra for the bittering addition, just use something cheap.

Im still discovering the tastes of the individual hops so that's why I was going to go with all citra. But I totally get leaving them for later. Any specifics on a bittering hop quantity wise? Did one of my first ales with challenger and discovered just by upping the amount by 10g from 20 to 30g from the original recipe was a bit too bitter really

Im still discovering the tastes of the individual hops so that's why I was going to go with all citra. But I totally get leaving them for later. Any specifics on a bittering hop quantity wise? Did one of my first ales with challenger and discovered just by upping the amount by 10g from 20 to 30g from the original recipe was a bit too bitter really

It's all dependent on the AAs of the hops you use and how bitter you want your beer. I'll check my brew sheet to see what the AAs of the Pilgrim were and what the total IBUs for the recipe was.

whats the EBU rating of the crystal malt, any I buy is 30 or under as I prefer a paler ale

couldn't get any on Saturday so I switched to caramalt 30 and will report back with my findings after my next AG brew

I'm actually brewing a citra only ipa tomorrow! Using the brewdog diydog recipe! If u have access to that?

I do yes and that's not a bad idea. Should make an IPA really so can enter it into the comp! Did their Moshi Moshi and was my best turned out brew so far.
It's very low on the hops in this recipe. Any idea why some of brewdogs call for such little hops initially ? In this case just 2.5g at the start and 10 half way?

I do yes and that's not a bad idea. Should make an IPA really so can enter it into the comp! Did their Moshi Moshi and was my best turned out brew so far.
It's very low on the hops in this recipe. Any idea why some of brewdogs call for such little hops initially ? In this case just 2.5g at the start and 10 half way?

To hit those IBUs the aroma hops must be steeped in the wort without cooling for a fairly decent amount of time, without some software I couldn't say how long but probably somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes.

I did a 5 gallon single hop recently.
I wanted Citra, but the LHBS didn't have any so I came out with Cascade.

My hop bill went.
40g at start of boil (60 minute boil)
40g at 15 minutes
40g after flame out at 80 deg for 15 minutes.
25g dry hop after 10 days for 5 days.

My intentions was to use 40g at dry hop, but this would have meant splitting another bag open, so I used what I had left.
What a wonderful beer it is too.

Back