Competition Schedule 2023

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably be a few depending who is brewing entries for Brew like a monk👀
I'll hopefully have a couple to send in. I'm about to do a brew for the Belgian swap, which may as well get entered into the comp. If I get time, I'm hoping to brew a trippel as well. My BLAM entry probably won't go into the forum swap as it's the same one I entered last year and my wife isn't too happy about be giving that one away 😂

Quick Question regarding competition brews. I have brewed quite a few lagers, so good, some not so good. Generally, my trajectory with lagers is good, and I seem to be making some pretty nice beers. My question is: as I don't currently adjust my water chemistry, am I likely to well brewing a lager in a HB comp?
Or to stand any sort of chance, should I be looking to get some RO water and build the right profile?

Thoughts much appreciated.

Quick Question regarding competition brews. I have brewed quite a few lagers, so good, some not so good. Generally, my trajectory with lagers is good, and I seem to be making some pretty nice beers. My question is: as I don't currently adjust my water chemistry, am I likely to well brewing a lager in a HB comp?
Or to stand any sort of chance, should I be looking to get some RO water and build the right profile?

Thoughts much appreciated.
Think of water chemistry like seasoning your food with salt. You can still make amazing food without salt. You can still make amazing beer without water chemistry. People did it for centuries. It'll probably be slightly better with perfect water chemistry, but it'll by no means be doomed to failure without it.

People discuss a huge amount of stuff on here. Don't let them browbeat you into thinking you must go everything others do. If you think you make a delicious beer, it'll likely do well in a comp.

Many of us have entered comps and got high scores/won without water chemistry

I wouldn't reveal whether I'd used water chemistry or not. Even if I had. It's up to the judges to judge your beer; why put preconceptions in their heads?

I wouldn't reveal whether I'd used water chemistry or not. Even if I had. It's up to the judges to judge your beer; why put preconceptions in their heads?
Most competitions don't allow you to even tell the judges things like that so as to not prejudice them. You label the beer with your entry information and that's about it. How you brewed it is for you. What it tastes like is for them to tell you

I plan on brewing this crystal clear PILSNER, so heres to success!
20230530_194100.jpg

I have been very neglectful of my attention to the homebrew community here, I do not feel right that I should have the honour of hosting this Novembers lager competition, when there are a lot more deserving brewers here who might want to take up the gig.

Therefore if anyone here would like to take over from me please say.

Happy to open it up to someone
I have been very neglectful of my attention to the homebrew community here, I do not feel right that I should have the honour of hosting this Novembers lager competition, when there are a lot more deserving brewers here who might want to take up the gig.

Therefore if anyone here would like to take over from me please sa

Latest posts

Back