Considering temperature control with Arduino DIY rules.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmark

Regular.
Reaction score
My son bought me an Arduino Uno for my birthday to play with. I have been wondering what to do with it. Main problem is what ever I do it will require a shield or two to get inputs and outputs into format required.

However with analogue inputs one should be able to read temperatures and switch heaters to give a very precise control. It would certainly be an interesting project.

However no point in reinventing the wheel so first question has any one done it before?

Second question is what is the ideal way to control beer? Start temperature what should it be? Finish temperature what should it be? Ramp speed what should it be?

If I can work out how to write the program as before I used PLC's with ladder not Java and I was useless writing programs for PIC's so may find it is beyond my skill but what should I be aiming for. I note that to start with my kit beers do not seem to mind if at 16 degs C or 26 degs C they still work. But as it progresses the temperature seems to be more important below 18 degs and the brew can nearly stall. However the reverse is what many talk about with beer being cooled at the end.

Clearly if there is no advantage of a temperature program I'm wasting my time.

Using a simple thermostat one gets over shoot but using a program like this I can start switching the heater before it reaches set temperature reducing over shoot and also measure at a number of points like bottom and top of fermentor. I read all about stressing yeast but no actual figures given on rate of change.

If you do a search - see top of the page right hand side - you will find that Arduino's are a regular discussion topic and I have noticed the exchange of code going on and reference to what you are looking for as having been done already.

Back