Cooper's Cerveza kit yeast not compacting...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerRS

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick post about Cooper's kit yeasts. I've done a lot of kit brewing now and it seems that one of the more popular ones I've done is the Cooper's Mexican Cerveza....

However, even though it's going down well with friends and family, I've noticed that it doesn't form a solid, compact sediment in the bottles and I have to ditch a bit more than usual if I want to avoid yeast in the glass.

Has anybody else noticed this? Also, I think there is a small residual yeast flavour that hangs around in the beer. I have a cerveza on it's way at the moment that I have added 25g of citra pellets to, but next time I'd like to try a different yeast I think.

I'd like to have a go at doing a proper lager but I don't really have the facilities. Are there yeasts that will suit a lager kit and ferment happily at room temperature?

There are yeasts that have such a temp range that they can both make lager and ale but afaik know lagering is a process which requires increasingly cooler temps and therefore requires a brewfridge to do in spring/summer. Whether it's possible to make an actual lager at warmer temps I don't know as I don't make/like lager. As I understand it if you make a lager at warmer temps it makes ale. Hopefully some of the lager makers will come along and answer this for you.

Nottingham/gervin g12/Wilko ale (the same yeast by different names) compacts down well and is also a yeast you can both make ale and lager with as it can be used down to 14C

I've still not mastered the art of pouring, some of my bottles are really dark too, so hard to tell how much beer is left. It seems you don't need a lot for it to taste yeasty either.

My extract brews went into the bottles a lot clearer, plus I used a bottling bucket, so I'm hoping it won't be such a problem.

If you rack to a bottling bucket, which lets you leave all the sediment either in the FV or bottling bucket and notty yeast you can not worry about leaving a bit of beer in the bottle.
The last time I used notty was in a porter and I simply up ended the bottles into the the glass so I could get a nice head. The notty had compacted down and stuck to the bottom of the bottle.

None of the yeast I've used so far has packed down very well, although two were kit yeasts. I've had to leave at least 1-2cm in the bottle and sometimes even that's not enough. I can easily remove the yeast from the bottle with the small amount of beer that's left. These were bottled straight from the FV and still fairly cloudy, so probably didn't help!

Back