Coopers stout and black treacle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolverine

Regular.
Reaction score
hi guys I have a coopers stout kit and it needs 1 kg of sugar
I've got 500 g of extra dark spray malt and two 454g tins of black treacle should I put both tins in and go for a stronger beer of just the spray malt and 1 tin ? will it affect the taste to much ? I like my beer around 5 % and I doubt the stout kit will be anywhere near that without it.
Any thoughts ?

Adding the spray malt will increase the OG but will also maintain the body, adding the treacle i think will obviously increase the OG but will not add any body. I would perhaps suggest the Spraymalt and one tin of treacle I think 2 may be too much.

Ok but if the kit asked for 1kg of White sugar surely it's better than that? Or is it the Tracke flavour you think might be too strong by adding two tins?

I have heard that the treacle should be used with caution so started mine 2 days ago with 1kg dark spraymalt and just two heaped table spoons of black treacle around 60g worth.

I will let you know the outcome.

:cheers:

Very old post but how did this go?
I'm thinking of doing something similar with a coopers stout kit using a 454 g tin of black treacle with brown sugar (no spray malt though)
Anyone else got experience brewing stout with black treacle?

I used DME and 1 tin of black treacle, so pleased I didn't use 2 tins, the treacle flavour is really strong, well to me it is

I used just one tin of treacle and also 500g muscavado sugar, I think that's overdoing it, to me it tastes too much of treacle. Since Coopers stout is fine as it is, I think it's best to start with quite a small amount, maybe half a tin or less, it will still be a nice pint and you won't risk overdoing it.

I used 1kg of extra dark DME and a tin of treacle, brewed to 21 litres. Achieved 6.7% ABV but the treacle is very noticeable. Using two tins would be overkill and you'd find it really tasted of liquorice.

I have done one with Treacle, it takes a little longer to condition, but its nicer than with sugar when its done.

I wouldnt use 2 tins in anything other than a RIS, but even then I would be nervous..

Would definately agree that even one tin is probably too much it gives it a slightly vinegary / acidic taste, i would say go with 1/2 tin at most, some nice ED spraymalt and do a minimash with a tray of toasted oats, roasted barley and some chocolate malt for a sweeter Oatmeal type stout :cheers:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Seems the consensus is about half a tin of treacle. I will start this in a week or so, and keep you updated on the results.

I went with roughly half a tin of treacle, kilo of extra dark spray malt, bar of melted dark chocolate, 100g of lyles chocolate sauce.

The only way to describe the reviews of my 6.4% Black Gold is....WINNER, all that have tasted it have enjoyed it.

The dark chocolate I used was an 80% cocoa bar from aldi, I boiled up water added that and the chocoloate sauce so as to make sure it was all melted before adding it to the boiled water in the bucket.

Trying to save the bottled stuff, give it a chance to mature a little more.

Latest posts

Back