Dj explosion ???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southerton

Amateur cider king
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Last night set up a fruit Tc and this morning just had a look and the airlock was full of foam and only a little escaped on to the towel it was sat on. I left room at the top like my last batch but only difference is last time I used a wine yeast and this time I have used youngs active dry yeast with nutrient which before didn't use any nutrient.

I have cleaned the air lock out and put another half a spoon of yeast back in. It is bubbling away again but is this batch a right off now??? Or shall I continue the brew??

I am new to brewing and assumed as the foam was very thick and powdery that was the yeast coming out also.

Wine yeast was more gentle so never had this before. Will know next time to fill even less and just top up once it calms a bit.

When you fill the DJ only fill to the beginning of the shoulder, some juices ferment far more vigorously than others, better safe than sorry.

Ha sorry to disappoint guys but wife wasn't happy as went over the spare bedding. I've been told to move my brew outside. I told her move yourself outside

Oops

I always ferment in our airing cupboard. last year I did a grape and pomegranate WOW in a DJ and that went fine, but a gallon of sloe wine I made came out of the airlock just like yours - and dribbled all over a couple of sleeping bags and a spare duvet. Surprisingly the Mrs. didn't bat an eyelid, but I did have to wash the duvet and bags myself. But there again she knew that I'd do that anyway - my mess, my cleanup. You can save yourself a lot of hassle by standing your DJs, at the beginning at least, in a roasting tin or something like that so it catches any overspill. I do that when I condition beer in a pressure barrel as the taps always seem to drip more or less.

Yeah I have now got an old dust sheet and covered my shelf in the cupboard with that for any future occurrences. The brew was still going wild until this morning so just cleaned the airlock again with boiling water and refilled. Now it is bubbling well just not spitting bubbles at me lol

Latest posts

Back