Drinking my first GF brew......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyFever

Reaction score
.......and I can't belive I made something this good in my kitchen!!

Really pleased with this, it's better than expected and was only bottled 3 weeks ago so still some potential for improvement. Glad I decided to try this home brew lark.

Cheers :drunk:

Well done!! :thumb: It's so cool knowing to can produce beer in your own house to such a high quality.

Sometimes I wonder how some commercial breweries can feck it up so badly when producing good quality beer is actually quite easy to do. But tbh, I know the answer - time. With a commercial brewery time is money. The faster you can turn your product around the more money you can make. So commercial breweries know all the tricks in the book to cut time/corners but unfortunately mother nature does give a **** about balance sheets and shareholder profits.
I remember watching a brewery tour vid on youtube at Timothy Taylors and the guy talking to camera proudly anounced they give every batch of Landlord an extra 3 days conditioning. 3 days! I know cask conditioned Bitter is meant to be drunk young but we HBers normally condition out beer for two weeks.
And I think that's where we have the advantage over commercial breweries and why we can produce such good quality beer without the huge amount of investment in equipment the commercial breweries invest in. We have time. We can wait as long as we like or think necessary. A commercial brewery would likely be out of business if it fermented and conditioned as long as we do.

.......and I can't belive I made something this good in my kitchen!!

Really pleased with this, it's better than expected and was only bottled 3 weeks ago so still some potential for improvement. Glad I decided to try this home brew lark.

Cheers :drunk:

Well done mate, its a cracking feeling drinking a good homebrew, and My Qul, good post as always ������ interesting

Well done!! :thumb: It's so cool knowing to can produce beer in your own house to such a high quality.

Sometimes I wonder how some commercial breweries can feck it up so badly when producing good quality beer is actually quite easy to do. But tbh, I know the answer - time. With a commercial brewery time is money. The faster you can turn your product around the more money you can make. So commercial breweries know all the tricks in the book to cut time/corners but unfortunately mother nature does give a **** about balance sheets and shareholder profits.
I remember watching a brewery tour vid on youtube at Timothy Taylors and the guy talking to camera proudly anounced they give every batch of Landlord an extra 3 days conditioning. 3 days! I know cask conditioned Bitter is meant to be drunk young but we HBers normally condition out beer for two weeks.
And I think that's where we have the advantage over commercial breweries and why we can produce such good quality beer without the huge amount of investment in equipment the commercial breweries invest in. We have time. We can wait as long as we like or think necessary. A commercial brewery would likely be out of business if it fermented and conditioned as long as we do.

Ohh, perhaps you may be being a bit harsh on comercial brewers? I think what I've made is better than SOME beers I've had in pubs but not all. I also love Victorian London pubs and could never replace going down the pub with staying at home.
Still impressed with what I've made so far and looking forward to making more.

Rereadig your post I see you refer to 'some' commercial berweries and so would agree entirely.

Cheers.

Ohh, perhaps you may be being a bit harsh on comercial brewers? I think what I've made is better than SOME beers I've had in pubs but not all. I also love Victorian London pubs and could never replace going down the pub with staying at home.
Still impressed with what I've made so far and looking forward to making more.

Oh, your right. I dont mean to say ALL commercial beer is **** but we've all been down the pub or bought a bottle from the supermarket and the beers is mediocre or down right cack , and you think, I've just paid X quid for this!

As you start to make more styles and brews you'll start to think to yourself, "I've got a beer in this style at home and mine tastes better/is easily as good as this" or "I bet I could make a beer better than this"
I think what I'm saying is, good, tasty beer is actually quite easy to make (I'm not saying your going to win gold medals with every batch you make) but with all their commercial muscle why aren't almost all comercial beers great? Take BMC (bud, miller coors) beers for example. Now I've never drank any of them but they've got a reputation for being insipid pish. But why? I've been following a thread over on our sister forum homebrewtalk (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=123937), where the forumites have been making an ale version of these BMC beers and for the most part most of the forumites have been making a fantastic lawnmower beer. So what do or dont do AB Inbev (I think it's AB Inbev that makes these beers) to turn out millions of gallons of pish when the HBT forumites can turn the basic reciepe into great beer

I think mother nature actually wants us to make beer. The ingredients are simple hops, water, barley and yeast. But It's the yeast that does most of the work. As the saying goes, 'Brewers make wort, yeast makes beer', and as long as you have fresh(ish) ingredients, a decent receipe and time, It's actually really hard to feck it up. I read time and time again on the forum, new brewers being surprised at how good the beer is that they've made. They shouldn't be. God wants you to homebrew!

Green King website:
"...we really take our time over it. It takes 4-5 days to brew Greene King IPA..."

So what do or dont do AB Inbev (I think it's AB Inbev that makes these beers) to turn out millions of gallons of pish

Even more dumbfounding is why millions of people drink that sort of thing and eat in places like MuckDonalds.

Just can't fathom it. :confused:

Latest posts

Back