Electric cars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a company car driver (and a modern classic owner), I was forced into the EV world.

And frankly, I wish I'd done it sooner rather than the gas guzzling hybrid I previously had (BMW 330e).
It's amazing. Ridiculously cheap to run and the smoothness, ease of drive and power delivery is outstanding.

I still keep the other car for hot weekends (convertible) and love the sound and feel of the ICE.

Anyone who does semi-serious mileage (less than 250 miles a day or 50,000 a year), should consider it.

However, I can understand if you can't charge at home, it's probably a non starter. The costs to public charge in the UK are horrendous unless you can get to a Tesla charger. In the EU, not so much.

Awesome. I look forward to hearing about it.

Which version have you got? I'm guessing a first gen facelift (post 2020) model?
2020 model pre face lift but the 64kw model, the mid level update that gives 10kw onboard charger and range of 300 miles, they seemed to sneak this in months before the updated 2021 model.

Went for Premium model that mid range so no leather, heated seatsm heads up display etc, but a bit cheaper even in the used market.

Done 35k and on full charge still shows 302 miles.

Smaller inside than my previous Focus and smaller boot.

The tech on board is all new to me and will need to get used to it all.

Adaptive regen is awesome basically it applies regen when you get cloeser to car in front or at a junction its spooky but very effective as you watch the fractions of miles being added back as you decelerate from just lifting the throttle pedal, have heard of one pedal driving it just takes a mental readjustment.
Regen has paddles behind the steering wheel, so you can alter regen levels as you go, useful function is pulling and holding the increase regen applies max regen when held and can bring you to a stop, you release the paddle it resets to original level

As a company car driver (and a modern classic owner), I was forced into the EV world.

And frankly, I wish I'd done it sooner rather than the gas guzzling hybrid I previously had (BMW 330e).
It's amazing. Ridiculously cheap to run and the smoothness, ease of drive and power delivery is outstanding.

I still keep the other car for hot weekends (convertible) and love the sound and feel of the ICE.

Anyone who does semi-serious mileage (less than 250 miles a day or 50,000 a year), should consider it.

However, I can understand if you can't charge at home, it's probably a non starter. The costs to public charge in the UK are horrendous unless you can get to a Tesla charger. In the EU, not so much.
What EV did you get?

Would have loved a Tesla for the supercharger network but just too expensive for me

What EV did you get?

Would have loved a Tesla for the supercharger network but just too expensive for me
I'd take a picture, but as with all company cars, they get cleaned when they get serviced (which is next week) so it's filthy.
Renault Megane E-tech, same colour as this
1715335230569.jpeg

The Tesla network got 3x as big last week to non-Tesla cars and it's expected that eventually, all will be open to all. It's much cheaper too.

My older brother has same and raves about it as a company car
I'd take a picture, but as with all company cars, they get cleaned when they get serviced (which is next week) so it's filthy.
Renault Megane E-tech, same colour as this
View attachment 99240

The Tesla network got 3x as big last week and it's expected that eventually, it'll be open to all. It's much cheaper too

Reactions: Stu
My older brother has same and raves about it as a company car
I was pleasantly surprised too. I'd never have considered a Renault. Not that I'm a badge snob, but I just don't think it would have entered my thinking - my company have been BMW/Mercedes for those happy to pay a few quid in, or Peugeot/Vauxhall for those who won't.

This was the cheapest car on our list. Less than inferior cars like the Vauxhalls and Peugeots which had less range and power.

I was pleasantly surprised too. I'd never have considered a Renault. Not that I'm a badge snob, but I just don't think it would have entered my thinking - my company have been BMW/Mercedes for those happy to pay a few quid in, or Peugeot/Vauxhall for those who won't.

This was the cheapest car on our list. Less than inferior cars like the Vauxhalls and Peugeots which had less range and power.
yes he said the same he had 330e and it was a a joke cost more to run, he took the Megane on cost as well and has been surprised like yourself with this car

Reactions: Stu
Well took the plunge and went electric.

Picked a used Hyundai Kona EV, not a car I ever thought I would like but the semi reasonable price and 300 mile range made it a viable option.

Still getting used to no clutch or gear stick but liking regenerative braking and the smooth power delivery.

Just need to sort a home charger and tarriff
Congratulations 👍

Hope you are pleased with it.

We got a BMW i3 recently and my daughter, who had never driven anything other than a manual ICE, got used to the pedals very easily but it was a few days before she stopped reaching down for a gear stick!

Have a look at OVO energy before you commit to a charger as their EV add on is only available with certain chargers or cars. I pay 7p kWh to charge the car and just the normal tariff rate for everything else.
I stuck with Octopus, despite not having the right car and charger (otherwise, I'd be going for their 7.5p rate)

Although it's 9p a unit, we also set our dishwasher, dryer and washing machine to run overnight.
Octopus don't limit the cheap rate just to the car.

Have a look at OVO energy before you commit to a charger as their EV add on is only available with certain chargers or cars. I pay 7p kWh to charge the car and just the normal tariff rate for everything else.

I am with EDF they offer a 9p off peak for EVs and anything else in those hours

Plus I am still under contract until October this year

I have been offered a reduced price charger fitting only via the dealer so might just go with that.

Octopus here. I charge overnight and also set washing machine and tumble dryer for the 7.5p rate. Also put the dishwasher on overnight, but since it has not time I need to remember to switch it on on my way to bed. After 6 months...I still forget and SWMBO doesn't even know we have a dishwasher lol.

Latest posts

Back