Extras to brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddeighton_1

Reaction score
I'm going to do a stout next

Using 1 tin of stout extract (coopers) and 1kg of beer enhancer also thinking of putting a tin 454g of dark/black treacle

What will the treacle do to it as its sweet

I'm guessing it will change the taste but how and would it alter the vol. of the acolhol

It will increase the abv, can't remember what percentage of treacle is ferment able tho. Personally I found a full tin to be way too much, I think half would be better but a lot of people disagree.

I agree doctormick, I made a coopers stout with treacle and used half a tin. It is lovely but still a little stong flavoured.

Yes I think quarter of a tin is a good amount to experiment with, you can always increase next time. I would use other fermentables to make up the sugars. But tastes vary.

Well I'm new to all this as its my second brew so i've gone for the whole hog of a full tin of Black treacle

as people have gone from 100g to a full tin at a quick taste from the gravity test it was a liquorish taste ???

Gravity was 1.044 so that seems to be correct ish

well roll on 14 days or when bubbling and gurgling finished when it starts that is to bottle it

quite looking forward to this should be ready in 4 to 6 weeks

But the big question is what to do next done a bitter ready in 4 weeks or so, done this stout do i do a cider as i've been told larger is best done in cooler weather or do i do a wine

ps the pics are before yeast

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

Latest posts

Back