FAO All Grainfather Users

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you wouldn't buy a full price one then ?

I can understand your sentiments on the GF. I'd like a brewmaster bucket but at �£185 I find it hard to justify buying one. Theirs some great features on it but I could buy 10 plastic FV's for that. Would the BB make better beer? I don't really think so. But I want one cuz it's shiny :mrgreen:

Haven't had time to use the darn thing yet. I'm 'working' from home Tuesday afternoon so might have to visit the localish and horridly expensive hbs to pick up some malt and yeast. Get my Sorachi ace pale on.

I'm not sure I can really justify that sort of outlay and I'm happy with the results I'm getting anyway.

Seemed like a good idea after sampling some of my hard work!

Just need to fit the second element, then might buy a better chiller and save myself a few hundred quid!

Having recently purchased a GF for 600 in a sale in March this year, I would say I'm glad I did, I only BIAB up until then, the results from the BIAB were great but the GF makes better beer! So far I've done 5 brews on it. All without a problem. From start to finish including cleaning your looking at 3.5 to 4 hours per brew.
Would I buy it again... YES its a great bit of kit. I was going to build a 3 tier system but decided on the GF for ease of use and set up.

Cheers
Jay

I think the GF is a cracking bit of kit. To be honest, i'll probably buy one myself eventually. The guy at my LHBS is a big fan of them and rates it higher than the BM, mainly down to affordability and availability of spares. Apparently every single spare part is available from a UK supplier. That's pretty good I reckon.

I'm toying with the idea of one of these, but I don't want to spend my money for the sake of it, because I think it may make better beer.

What are the real benefits?

I guess the control of mash temp, although my thermopot does a pretty good job of holding a steady temp.

Main ball aches for me are the time it takes to heat the water and time it takes to chill the wort.

I'd estimate 2hrs of brew day are spent heating water, although I have a second element that I've not got around to fitting yet.

I suspect that I don't really need one, but it's shiny and I like the look of them.

The GF counter-chiller is great, but it does rely on the pump, which keeps getting clogged up by bits of grain that drop down the central tube. Too fine a grain crush is also a problem for me.

I would say, unless you are very pushed for space, probably, you should think about your alternative options very carefully, Hops.

The GF counter-chiller is great, but it does rely on the pump, which keeps getting clogged up by bits of grain that drop down the central tube. Too fine a grain crush is also a problem for me.

I would say, unless you are very pushed for space, probably, you should think about your alternative options very carefully, Hops.

Interesting Slid, is there the faintest waft of buyer's regret here? Or do you feel there is a learning curve attached to the GF that people don't always admit to?

Hey Slid. Yeah, my impulsive thinking was mostly driven by the dent I made in a mini keg on Friday night.

I don't really need one and so can't justify the money, where it could be used on more important things (well, in the eyes of SWMBO).

I must admit that I've been following your posts and, with respect, sounds like it's made life harder for you.

Instead, I treated myself to this earlier:

http://www.geterbrewed.com/the-chillinator/

Admittedly it could probably be made for about £30, but I don't have the skills or inclination to do it. The inner coil is bigger than my current chiller, so that should solve one of my problems.

I'll fit my other element after brew day next weekend, which will also make a difference.

I kind of like the rest of the donkey work, so should keep me happy for now!

I hope your luck changes with your GF mate.

Im loving my Grainfather. OK if I hadnt had a cash injection and a great price offered, I wouldnt have 1. Im making the tastiest and clearest beer beyond what I thought was possible from the stove top beer I did before. Im gutted though Im not getting carbonation correct in the Partstar kegs Im using.

Interesting Slid, is there the faintest waft of buyer's regret here? Or do you feel there is a learning curve attached to the GF that people don't always admit to?

It is not the simple and immediate solution to all problems with wort production, for sure. I think there is more of a learning process than most anticipate. You might get a sense of this from their own website. A random start point:

http://www.grainfather.co.nz/#!forum/c11jy/#!/grainfathernz/general:hop-pellets-blocked-filter

As regards Buyer's Regret, I refer you to the wisdom of GHW. For my part, the clincher is space and footprint. I just about got away with it.

On the learning curve, I only got a brew out of it each time by having BIAB stuff and enough experience from pratting about with my half AG, half kit partial mash brews to know that I could always get the can opener out and rescue what was rescue-able in the end.

Hey Slid. Yeah, my impulsive thinking was mostly driven by the dent I made in a mini keg on Friday night.

I don't really need one and so can't justify the money, where it could be used on more important things (well, in the eyes of SWMBO).

I must admit that I've been following your posts and, with respect, sounds like it's made life harder for you.

Instead, I treated myself to this earlier:

http://www.geterbrewed.com/the-chillinator/

Admittedly it could probably be made for about �£30, but I don't have the skills or inclination to do it. The inner coil is bigger than my current chiller, so that should solve one of my problems.

I'll fit my other element after brew day next weekend, which will also make a difference.

I kind of like the rest of the donkey work, so should keep me happy for now!

I hope your luck changes with your GF mate.

A very profound observation here:

"I must admit that I've been following your posts and, with respect, sounds like it's made life harder for you."

I was very happy indeed with my PM brew methodology and it did not require any more than a 15L (12.5L boil-able) pot, a grain bag and a kettle. it did help that the pot fits in the oven and the lowest setting @ 50C is ideal for a 2x30mins mash with a stir at half time.

So, seven down, after today's, which was interesting in that I learned how to work around mashing in a GF with a fine crush malt.

Should any one else have the same problem, I'm more than delighted to advise.

Im loving my Grainfather. OK if I hadnt had a cash injection and a great price offered, I wouldnt have 1. Im making the tastiest and clearest beer beyond what I thought was possible from the stove top beer I did before. Im gutted though Im not getting carbonation correct in the Partstar kegs Im using.

Hi John

When it works smoothly, the wort is indeed very clear and GF #1 is as good or better than anything else I have made. Plus, as you say, the volume of trub from a stove top brew can be 20% of the stove top contribution.

I always had trouble with kegs, myself and think they are much harder work than just PET bottles.

Just received the following email. Sounds interesting amd looks a lot nicer than the current control box. Hopefully it also involves programmable stages and alarms e.g.step mash and switch off and on pump, and also done via Bluetooth making it possible to get away with brewing when the wife's demanding my presence...

Grainfather Connect Control Box!
We're sure you've been hearing a lot of talk about a new control box for some time and we're finally at a stage where we can tell you all about it.

We have been busy working on the new Grainfather Connect Control Box with app integration, so your Grainfather can be controlled by the Grainfather Connect app.

We want to make sure you know what our plans are for this as we're sure you will start to see and hear about it online.

Please read the below information in entirety before contacting us.
Beta Launch
We are first sending out a small amount of of beta units, which we are having tested by people in New Zealand first. Due to the location of our head office and the practicality of conducting this beta launch, we are not able to extend this outside of New Zealand.

The beta launch will be happening at the end of the month/beginning of June 2016. Those involved will be required to buy the unit and help us with testing and feedback.

The control boxes will be available for purchase separately (for those who would like to upgrade) and will be included in Grainfathers being sold in stores and online. This is estimated to happen around October 2016. We will update you with any news or changes on that timing as we hear it.

What if I buy a Grainfather now?
The Grainfathers that are currently being sold will be compatible with this new control box. The price of the control box + what you paid for your Grainfather will be roughly the same price as the Grainfathers that will be sold later in the year with control boxes. So basically if you order now and upgrade later - you don't have to wait to brew and make delicious beer in the meantime!

Features & Specs:
Grainfather Connect Control Box!
We're sure you've been hearing a lot of talk about a new control box for some time and we're finally at a stage where we can tell you all about it.

We have been busy working on the new Grainfather Connect Control Box with app integration, so your Grainfather can be controlled by the Grainfather Connect app.

We want to make sure you know what our plans are for this as we're sure you will start to see and hear about it online.

Please read the below information in entirety before contacting us.
Beta Launch
We are first sending out a small amount of of beta units, which we are having tested by people in New Zealand first. Due to the location of our head office and the practicality of conducting this beta launch, we are not able to extend this outside of New Zealand.

The beta launch will be happening at the end of the month/beginning of June 2016. Those involved will be required to buy the unit and help us with testing and feedback.

The control boxes will be available for purchase separately (for those who would like to upgrade) and will be included in Grainfathers being sold in stores and online. This is estimated to happen around October 2016. We will update you with any news or changes on that timing as we hear it.

What if I buy a Grainfather now?
The Grainfathers that are currently being sold will be compatible with this new control box. The price of the control box + what you paid for your Grainfather will be roughly the same price as the Grainfathers that will be sold later in the year with control boxes. So basically if you order now and upgrade later - you don't have to wait to brew and make delicious beer in the meantime!

Features & Specs:

Complete control over the heater power using a modified PID algorithm, gives more accurate temperature control and removes the need for the Element Variation Switch. No longer is the element simply on or off.
A Bluetooth connection between your device and the new control box allows the unit to be controlled from your device, and give you updates to your device while still allowing complete manual control on the system itself. Our new auto mode uses this Bluetooth connection to automate the control of the Grainfather, making brewing a breeze.
New simple user friendly design - screen/buttons.
Water resistant face (no cover anymore).
Fits all Grainfathers currently on the market (attachment lugs can be moved to suit), and you can swap between Celsius & Fahrenheit as desired.
Control Box FaceComplete control over the heater power using a modified PID algorithm, gives more accurate temperature control and removes the need for the Element Variation Switch. No longer is the element simply on or off.
A Bluetooth connection between your device and the new control box allows the unit to be controlled from your device, and give you updates to your device while still allowing complete manual control on the system itself. Our new auto mode uses this Bluetooth connection to automate the control of the Grainfather, making brewing a breeze.
New simple user friendly design - screen/buttons.
Water resistant face (no cover anymore).
Fits all Grainfathers currently on the market (attachment lugs can be moved to suit), and you can swap between Celsius & Fahrenheit as desired.

Not sure how much added value that will bring. It's not the hardest thing to use. I sometimes think people will use apps for stuff that's really better served with old school tech.

I never saw the point in that hive app that let you control your heating from your phone. When would you use that?!

My wort is pretty murky tbh, but my beer is clear as a bell and I'm more bothered about that really.

You're right its the end result that matters.

I find the first 75% of my wort is crystal clear the last bit is a murky.. I think its all to do with the bag (and water treatment) , since I stopped using cheap paint strainers . Do not need to recirculate or anything.

I dont' know whether this has an effect on the end result. Its improved a lot but thats more water treatment I think.

Back