Fermenting temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fissedasapart

Reaction score
I'm a total newbie.
I mixed a batch on Sunday and the temperature was around 26 degrees when adding the yeast. It is now Thursday and I've tested the temperature every night. It has been averaging 16 degrees. The airlock stopped bubling tonight. Has my brew stopped fermenting prematurely? If so, is it retrieveable?

Most lids don't fit that tight so the inactivity could just be cos the co2 is leaking. With an average of only 16degC I'd expect an average brew to take almost a week to finish. Generally fermentation does not like much temp fluctuations.
The standard practice is to take a gravity reading then repeat the next day, if the reading stays constant for two to three days and it is about the range the instructions say, well then it's done.

From what you write I am confident your brew is doing great, give it till the weekend, let it cool to drop out the yeast and job done.

PS. the constant checking of the gravity is also the excuse for us to get a taste :D :thumb: , just make sure anything that contacts the beer is sterilised.
:cheers:

I can't stress enough the importance of not trusting the activity in the air lock. As the poster above me stated, you really need to take a gravity reading to determine when the is "done." Also don't go by the instructions as those are more guidelines, and the company which wrote them often times gives you very short time frames do you go buy another kit from them.

I keep my ales at 59* for about 21 days before messing with them.

Can we have some details , please ? Like what kit , what yeast , what in , where , what range of temp kept at to get your average , that and anything else you can think of ! ;)

Thanks for this folks.

My brew is Coopers Dark Ale. I think I've been pretty thorough with my cleanliness. It's currently in my sitting room next to a storage heater, that is pretty constant. I've also wrapped the fermenting tub in a camping mat (the insulated ones). I did dip the hydrometer in at the start, but didn't take a specific reading, as it had a scale for start and finish of brew. It was at the starting mark. I'll dip it again tonight and get a more accurate reading.

A good tip is to not take too much notice of those colour bands on hydrometers - there is no st standard between the different makers and no set start or finish that includes all styles , either ! Go by the numbers , and if you can , get a measuring container , ikea do a nice glass one if you search on here , dead cheap too . And sanitise both the 'meter and the measure before and after use , and wash your hands first too ! And behind your ears ! Dont think we cant see you ! :shock: :lol: :lol:

shocker said:
And sanitise both the 'meter and the measure before and after use

Alternatively, drink contents of measure for quality control :whistle: , but make sure measure and meter do not touch what is in the fermenter

Back