fermenting temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pazzo

Reaction score
Having previously brewed Woodfordes Wherry as my first ever brew and 'thoroughly' enjoyed drinking it I am now attempting my second batch. Added all the ingredients (Woodfordes Admirals Reserve) to my fermenter, put it on heat mat and wrapped heat belt around it at approx. 17.30 Thursday, checked it at approx 19.00 Thursday - temperature 24c, checked at approx. 19.00 Friday and temperature 32c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've now turned off the heat mat and left just the belt on.
Is it likely that my brew will now be destroyed due to this crazy inferno????????

Welcopme to the forum :thumb:

No we have formalities out of the way get that beer of the heat even 24c is in dangerous territory, you will get off flavours at that temp and fusel alcohols which may give you hangovers.

You must keep it between 18-21c for an ale don't let it go above. In actual fact the most dangerous period is the first 48Hrs when the yeast is dividing and growing.

Anyway keep an eye on it and keep the temp down. fingers crossed it will be OK but to be honest 32c is really pushing it.

Sorry for the bad news.

:thumb: :thumb:

Oh bugger!!
Thanks for the welcome and the not so good news. I'll keep an eye on it and keep you posted.

OK - just wandered up the garden to the shed of brew to pour myself another glass of nice. Oh dear, the temperature has fallen but only to 28c. I've now slackened the heating belt and left it lying on the worktop loosely around the bottom of the fermenter. I'll check again int morning, fingers crossed?

No you need to turn the belt of completely. Belts are not the best thing also as beer ferments it gives out heat so exacerbating the problem that is what is likely to have happened. :thumb:

You may well have to chalk this one up to experience. :evil:

Yup, what he said...

For most people brewing in a modern(ish) house with central heating you shouldn't need any extra heat for a normal brew - only maybe to get a stuck one going again.

So definitely don't go offloading them as they probably will come in handy in the future but for now, brew cool. Your yeast will thank you for it and you'll thank them for the beer they make you. :thumb:

You really need some form of thermostat to control the temperature. A brewing fridge is great or you can use a water bath with an aquarium heater.

Cheapest set up...
Massive rough tub (flexible bucket thing) £3 from Asda
Cheapo aquarium heater from amazon circa £6
Worth checking temp as you use the heater as the thermostat may not be entirely accurate (or might be trigger temperature so to maintain 22C you need it turning on a at 24C so it keeps the whole at about 22.

lukehgriffiths said:
Cheapest set up...
Cheapo aquarium heater from amazon circa £6.

This idea sounds just what I'm looking for - as my kitchen is a little too cool just now.

The heaters seem to be anywhere from 25w to 500w. Are you able to give a rough idea of a suitable power rating? Many thanks, Stephen.

a 100w is ideal.........But

you will not need it at this time of year. unless your shivering in your kitchen

if needs wrap a duvet or blanket round it........KEEP IT COOL.

Great, thanks for that.

My kitchen is 15 degrees today (it's been rainy and 7 degrees outside).

A 15 degree kitchen is fine. The beer will be warmer than that because of heat generated by fermentation.

Even cheaper than the setup suggested above is simply to drop the aquarium heater (once you have set the thermostat and sanitised it) into the FV. I made an extra hole in the lid of my FV and fitted a grommet so it's still airtight.

Thank you for the reassurance. My beer has been fermenting for around three weeks (without assistance). Obviously, the ambient temperature has risen greatly - the room is now 21 degrees.

I would take a gravity reading and if you get 3 concurrent readings the same then it is time to bottle or keg. :thumb: :thumb:

The bubbles are probably just co2 coming out of solution and probably not further fermentation.

Hello. Many thanks. It all turned out very well. I used a Festival Ale Kit (Golden Stag) and it really is very nice beer. It's a very fruity beer - although VERY lively (plenty of carbonation).

studio_two said:
Hello. Many thanks. It all turned out very well. I used a Festival Ale Kit (Golden Stag) and it really is very nice beer. It's a very fruity beer - although VERY lively (plenty of carbonation).

Well done you are lucky it is only fruity :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back