First BIAB recipe ideas for a 36litre boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentbarrel

Reaction score
Morning all,

I've just made my boiler out of a mango chutney barrel that holds 36 litres to the brim.

Has anyone got a recipe I could use to get the first BIAB under my belt? I'm thinking about an Autumny ale, so something like Badgers fursty ferret?

Thanks in advance!

Fusty Ferret is a nice refreshing brew...but..
there are loads of recipes on this forum in the recipes tab, TOP RIGHT

I'd be inclined to go with an all grain mash kit from somewhere like HBC if its your first BIAB, all the grain, hops and yeast for 23 litres final volume with instructions, just pick one that you like the look of.

I'd be inclined to go with an all grain mash kit from somewhere like HBC if its your first BIAB, all the grain, hops and yeast for 23 litres final volume with instructions, just pick one that you like the look of.

I'd agree that a kit would be a good idea for a 1st BIAB, but with only 36L capacity in the boiler you'll probably have to top up with water at some point - not that its a problem, just something to consider.

For a 23L BIAB brew I start with 37L water.
:cheers:

I mash in 22-25 litres depending on how many times I have to adjust the strike temp and "sparge" with another 12 litres.

Good luck with what ever you go for.

You could always go for a simple SMaSH, I bought another 10kg of pale malt from the homebrew company for less than £10 (before delivery) and plan to do a Summit SMaSH and compare with a Summit/Cascade blend.

Here's what I do with 33l boiler. Find a recipe for 23L. Aim for that. Mash in 27l. Pull bag and dunk sparge with 7L in a 20L pan for 10 mins.

Add as much of this to boiler as you dare. If you have a couple of litres left over add during first 20-30 mins of boil after some evaporation.

Record volumes at each stage. Record gravity. You will make beer. You might make 20L or 25L. It might be stronger or weaker than planned. But you can do these calculations afterwards and adjust for second and third brews. I now hit target gravity and volumes bang on.

Morning all,

I've just made my boiler out of a mango chutney barrel that holds 36 litres to the brim.

Has anyone got a recipe I could use to get the first BIAB under my belt? I'm thinking about an Autumny ale, so something like Badgers fursty ferret?

Thanks in advance!

Off topic
What brew software do u use
I can recomend biabacus
Works realy well for me :thumb:

Yeah biabacus to convert to biab is awesome.

When it comes to recipe formulation I am using brew mate, primarily cause it's free.

Back