First "official" brew day. "Hot Goblin" + Supermarket Wine!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay a little worried about my wine started on this day. This is how things are looking :

wine1.jpg

wine2.jpg

I think just from the second picture its fair to say its time to rack into another demi-john and continue. There seems to be too much "****" now at the bottom. And its slowed down a lot on the airlock. So question : Is it ready to rack to another demi-john? The current gravity is 1014.

Second question.
win3x.jpg

Is that white stuff floating at the top the nice yeasties or something else? I've heard terms like pectolace (sp?) and other strange terms. Unsure if this is something I should be worried about it not. Asking this since its my first "supermarket" style wine.

N.B. In another news another wine kit and lager kit starts tonight.

That looks fairly normal to me, starting to throw a decent sediment but still got a bit of froth on the top. You could rack it now if you want but I'd leave it another week. However, if it's in the latter stages of the fermentation process that DJ really ought to have been topped up to the bottom of the neck by now.

Moley said:
That looks fairly normal to me, starting to throw a decent sediment but still got a bit of froth on the top. You could rack it now if you want but I'd leave it another week. However, if it's in the latter stages of the fermentation process that DJ really ought to have been topped up to the bottom of the neck by now.

Right. Gonna keep it going another week and top it up with water in a minute. Just upto the neck :-)

Great stuff! And what brilliant fermentation - you must have gone some with the aeration.

Two captions made me laugh loudly!

"So last night I noticed this had happened..."

and

"There seems to be too much '****' now..."

Top notch :cheers:

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but its an update and its nice to keep the story all in one place? How tidy of me hehe.

This is how my baby looks :

wine4.jpg

Its currently at 1003ish, but its tasting a lot sweeter than I expected. So my next question is this.
What next for my first "supermarket" wine.

Finnings. Camden Tablet and some Wine Stabliser?
Is that the order of things. Cheers for all info

Great. Can I do them all at the same time? All in the demi, and then put it into the shed for a week where its nice and cold?

davesiv said:
Are finings absolutely necessary to clear your wine? Couldn’t they just be left alone to clear naturally?
That rather depends upon what you're making and how soon you want to be able to drink it.

Supermarket juices and fruity bags wines are intended to be quick ones, so I would mostly use finings. I have had a few where I've gone to rack etc. and found they were already clear, blackberry & nettle bags and white grape with cranberry & blueberry spring to mind. Most will clear naturally, given time.

Country wines are medium to long-term jobs, so I hardly ever use finings in those, unless something is being particularly stubborn to clear.

Back