First time bottling, want to check the process

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPips

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a brew going on that's about ready for the second stage. I've always kegged before, but wanted to give bottling a try, mainly so I can compare the two. I just wanted to check that I have the process sorted in my mind before I start.

1) Syphon into a clean keg and chill to around 15 degrees for a few days.

2) Syphon into http://www.home-brew-online.com/equ...ncluding-little-bottler-lid-with-grommet-p809 which has been primed with brew malt in a little boiling water.

3) From there, syphon into http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipment-c40/home-brew-online-pressure-barrel-small-9l-p1378 and use the little bottler to fill the bottles.

Does that sound about right? What bottles would people recommend? I'm going to have to buy them as I've been kegging for a year so have no empties!

Your way over complicating things there pips just siphon from your fv, into the fv with the bottler that's got what ever your priming with dissolved in the bottom. Then bottle from there simples.

And I don't even bother to use a bottling bucket or a second FV.
It's straight out of the FV into my bottles, and I prime directly into the bottles.
For bottles you have a choice, usually glass or PET. There are pros and cons for both
If you are re-using bottles, make sure they have previously held a 'fizzy' drink, e.g. still water bottles are not suitable.
Most people seem to use 500ml bottles, although a few others like me use 2 litre bottles.
Finally I only use sugar (table or brewing) to prime. Cheap and predictable.

And I don't even bother to use a bottling bucket or a second FV.
It's straight out of the FV into my bottles, and I prime directly into the bottles.
For bottles you have a choice, usually glass or PET. There are pros and cons for both
If you are re-using bottles, make sure they have previously held a 'fizzy' drink, e.g. still water bottles are not suitable.
Most people seem to use 500ml bottles, although a few others like me use 2 litre bottles.
Finally I only use sugar (table or brewing) to prime. Cheap and predictable.
I do wot Terry does....KISS:thumb:

It was just what I'd read as a way to make sure it was clear, it if you say I don't need that stage then great.

Does it still need chilling at some point though? If so when?

Great idea of the bottles, thanks.

I'm pretty much a novice but so far all mine is bottled using glass flip top bottles 650ml which I kept after drinking the contents :)
Results have been good on the 3 batches so far carbonation wise.

First ferment 2 weeks min
I then rack off into 2nd FV leaving a small bit behind not to bring over sediment, I then add 3oz about 80grams of sugar which has been dissolved in some water and give it a stir.
I then bottle using the filler wand you mentioned but have to siphon out the last few bottles.

Theory is that the sugar is equally spaced out amongst all the bottles rather than adding sugar / spray malt to each bottle which runs the chance of to little or to much in any individual bottle.

After that 2 weeks warm in house, then 2 weeks min chilled outside , tastes even better after 3 months or more

I'm sure some of the chaps with years of knowledge will be along soon to give you and A to Z hopefully

+1 for Terrym and Robin54.......

Straight from FV to bottles or keg for me.

I have used the plastic 2ltr bottles in the past.

They work well and you can feel the carbonation as the bottles firm up.

Ironically I've just bottled a brew tonight, put 12 pints into glass bottles with metal caps.
Just like you I wanted to see the difference in the processes and see which is more convenient when drinking.

Does it still need chilling at some point though? If so when?

Hi!
I leave the brew for two weeks at fermentation temperature, even though activity seems to have ceased, then cool for a few days to allow the sediment to drop to the bottom - I've even cooled it for a couple of weeks when I was too busy to bottle it. Transfer to your bottling bucket into which you've first added the sugar solution (I always use bog standard table sugar) and use the wand to fill the bottles.

as above, normal sugar.jus a note though. apparently the temp is quite important, if you use the calculator and vary the temp, the amount of sugar needed varys quite alot, something to do with the amout of c02 allready in the wort,the colder it is the more c02 it allready has, hence the need for less sugar,maybe thats a cause of bottle bombs?

I do wot Terry does....KISS:thumb:

And me. I ferment in a bucket with a tap, attach a little bottler to my primary fermenter and bottle from there. Never had any issues, beer usually clears well.

Bottle straight from the FV. Either with a little bottler attached to the FV tap, or just straight from the tap if you've a narrow tap, or use a jug if the tap is wide bore.
Half a teaspoon of sugar in each bottle first, then add the beer.

This.

I go from tap to bottle without bottling wand, because I hated it...but forget it so the beer runs down the side of the bottle, to avoid oxygen getting into the beer.
I use a funnel from the FV to bottle - have done for years (40) - never had a problem.
well there is really, cos Im introducing Oxygen, that dreaded molecule the mad scientists love and hate, all 21% of it. It should be banned.:doh:

hey. I was wondering why people decide to siphon to another barrel then bottle..
I'm wanting to siphon straight to each bottle. I was wanting advice on what sugar to use and how much per bottle??
thanks Ben

It's to limit the amount of sediment ending up in your bottles. You can directly siphon, but using a 2nd barrel is much easier.

With regards to sugar, it depends on the style but in my kits it's usually around 7gr per liter (I only do fizzy beers).

Back