First time own extract recipe- how does this look?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hengoedbrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
I just want to thank everyone again who answered by thread on the "disappointing brew- what am I doing wrong?" much appreciated.

Now; I am going to do an American Style IPA next with Citra and Galaxy (Citra as I know i like it; and Galaxy as I like the sound of it- anything tropical fruit is good by me). This will be my 3rd attempt at extract, and after initially being tempted to throw everything at it I think I'd like it to be slightly simpler and also a bit cheaper so less hop madness! How does this look to people....any comments massively welcome.

3kg Dry Malt Extract (light)
250g light Chrystal malt

Hops:

28g centennial for bittering (60 mins)
28 g of citra (30 mins)
28 g of galaxy (30 mins)
28g of citra (15 mins)
28g of galaxy (15 mins)
28g citra (0 mins)
28g galaxy (0 mins)

Method: steep Chrystal malt as stated in 6L bottled water at 67c for 30 mins. Remove grains and bring liquid to boil. Add half DME at beginning of boil. Add hops as per schedule. Add remaining DME once wort has cooled to 80c. Top up fermenter to 21L. Wait for wort to cool to 20f and pitch Mangrove Jack's M44 yeast, ferment at 18-19c for 2-3 weeks. Add 28g Galaxy and 28g of Citra 2-3 days before bottling as dry hop.

I think the hops should be fine; my question really is; do I need more / different steeping grains? And what sort of ABV / IBU's would I be looking at there? I really like bitter / tropical IPA's (including Brewdog Jackhammer which I think is said to be 200+!)

Thank you all.

250g Crystal will be fine for an IPA wort.

If you like the hop schedule, the malt should be OK.

I always reckon that a "partial mash" is the same work as a full AG mash so I have mixed feelings.

Personally, I would knock out a kilo of the DME and increase the Crystal Malt to 1kg.

Also, I am more "Peasant" than "Connoisseur" when it comes to hops so I would definitely reduce the number of hop infusions to no more that THREE! :thumb:

Looks good to me. Make sure you keep the temps relatively low so that the yeast ferments nice and clean.

18-19°C should do it, which means keeping your fermentation chamber a couple of degrees lower than that, as the fermenting wort is always warmer than the air around it.

I can estimate the IBU's when I get home, I'm at work and don't have time to do a full on Tinseth calc right now.

ABV wise you're probably looking at around 5% given a yeast attenuation of 75%

Good luck, and don't give up!

Suggestion, try adding remaining extract at 10/15 mins and add the 0 hops at 80c and stand for 20 mins,then carry on cooling in your usual way

Looks good to me. Make sure you keep the temps relatively low so that the yeast ferments nice and clean.

18-19°C should do it, which means keeping your fermentation chamber a couple of degrees lower than that, as the fermenting wort is always warmer than the air around it.

I can estimate the IBU's when I get home, I'm at work and don't have time to do a full on Tinseth calc right now.

ABV wise you're probably looking at around 5% given a yeast attenuation of 75%

Good luck, and don't give up!

Ace- thank you. 5% is fine. In terms of fermentation temp I ferment in a cupboard under stairs in a water bath and will be using an inkbird to keep a close eye on temp. I was going to submerge it in the word this time (after carefully sterilising of course!) and will be calibrating it with a thermapen which arrived yesterday as I have a feeling the Inkbird is a bit out.

I always reckon that a "partial mash" is the same work as a full AG mash so I have mixed feelings.

Personally, I would knock out a kilo of the DME and increase the Crystal Malt to 1kg.

Also, I am more "Peasant" than "Connoisseur" when it comes to hops so I would definitely reduce the number of hop infusions to no more that THREE! :thumb:

What would be the benefits of added chrystal / less DME- and the consequences?

Thank you- I'll note that! Cooling method is stock pot in sink of cold water!
That is what i do. I put my aroma hops in at 80c for 20 mins and let it stand,then carry on cooling in the sink as normal.
Think you have around 7-8% crystal there,you can use more if wished,up to around 10%.
Try pushing your recipie through recipie builder(if you have not already done so) it's easy to use and it's free:thumb:

That is what i do. I put my aroma hops in at 80c for 20 mins and let it stand,then carry on cooling in the sink as normal.
Think you have around 7-8% crystal there,you can use more if wished,up to around 10%.
Try pushing your recipie through recipie builder(if you have not already done so) it's easy to use and it's free:thumb:

So up a KG of crystal and 2kg of DME would be a good idea as Grizzly said? I will definitely give RB a go!

So up a KG of crystal and 2kg of DME would be a good idea as Grizzly said? I will definitely give RB a go!
with your original recipie with 3kg of extract you could go 350 grms of crystal malt,that's just over the 10% mark, probably around 4/4.5%
A kilo of crystal with 2 kg of extract is around 33% crystal malt which is a tad much i would have thought!,not used that much myself so only guessing,could well be wrong however!

A quick punch through recipie builder
3kg extract
350 grms crystal steep 30 mins
boil for 60 mins,could be reduced to 40 mins, gives around 5% as already stated by someone else(grizzly) i think and around 27.56 IBU,that is with your hop schedule but adding the last two at 80c .

A quick punch through recipie builder
3kg extract
350 grms crystal steep 30 mins
boil for 60 mins,could be reduced to 40 mins, gives around 5% as already stated by someone else(grizzly) i think and around 27.56 IBU,that is with your hop schedule but adding the last two at 80c .

Thank you very much for that. Could I add some additional bittering hops then? Or SHOULD I? Bitter is fine; Punk IPA for eg is 45 and one of my fave beers...but I guess balance is important.

Thank you very much for that. Could I add some additional bittering hops then? Or SHOULD I? Bitter is fine; Punk IPA for eg is 45 and one of my fave beers...but I guess balance is important.
Yup, i like my beers quite bitter,wouldn't go too bonkers though.That IBU is only approx as obviously i didn't know the AA of your hops,used what was suggested in B.F.

Back