First time own extract recipe- how does this look?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get yourself a copy of brewmate or some software and pump your ingredients in.

to reduce IBUs try reducing your 60 min boils and that way you can keep your later hops which will pack more punch flavour wise

Not sure what the end result was but I seen the suggestion to do away with 1kg of dme in favour of 1kg of crystal, this IMO is bad advice. DME is the base of your fermentables and while crystal will add some sugars its purpose is to add flavours (caramel sweet type falvours) and do not have any diastatic power.. you are using these for flavouring prior to adding the fermentables before the boil..

I agree with all of this! :thumb:

Oh..:thumb: I see you already pumped your figures in.

Are you doing just a 6L boil as per the recipe on that sheet?

I did pop it in yes- it's really good!- but @Dr_Unkenly pointed out the figures wouldn't be right due to the 6L boil size- yes 6L boil planned as I have a 15L stockpot- I could probably push it up another couple of litres safely enough but want to avoid a boilover (ie; swmbo going doubly mental about that as well as the "stink" of hops).

I did pop it in yes- it's really good!- but @Dr_Unkenly pointed out the figures wouldn't be right due to the 6L boil size- yes 6L boil planned as I have a 15L stockpot- I could probably push it up another couple of litres safely enough but want to avoid a boilover (ie; swmbo going doubly mental about that as well as the "stink" of hops).

I have a 15 L pot too which I use for occasional smaller 10L AG brews

I have had it boiling within 1 or 2cm of the top :lol::oops:

You can easily get a 10L maybe 12 boil in there, just keep an eye on it for the first 10 mins or so, remember it will reduce..

I have a 15 L pot too which I use for occasional smaller 10L AG brews

I have had it boiling within 1 or 2cm of the top :lol::oops:

You can easily get a 10L maybe 12 boil in there, just keep an eye on it for the first 10 mins or so, remember it will reduce..

:lol: new hob mate- more than my life's worth.

I'd be interested to see what the IBU is, although in a way it doesn't matter; like I say I am fine with stuff which professes to be ludicrously bitter; with the Ruination and Brewdog's Jack Hammer being fine with me at very high IBU's.

:lol: new hob mate- more than my life's worth.

I'd be interested to see what the IBU is, although in a way it doesn't matter; like I say I am fine with stuff which professes to be ludicrously bitter; with the Ruination and Brewdog's Jack Hammer being fine with me at very high IBU's.

These are double IPA's though so there'll be more malt and alcohol going on.

It's worth noting that IBU's are just a measurement of how much hop bitterness you have in your beer. It doesn't tell you how bitter your beer will actually taste.

You could have the same IBU's in a pilsner and a milk stout but one would taste bitter and the other sweet.

If you put your final recipe proposal here ill pump the numbers in my brewmate and see what it will give you and post it back if you like?

Hiya Covrich

Did you manage to have a look at what the IBU's would accurately be if I only add half the DME at the beginning and half later on?

:thumb:

Hiya Covrich

Did you manage to have a look at what the IBU's would accurately be if I only add half the DME at the beginning and half later on?

:thumb:

I think you misundersottd I was going to put the figures in brewmate to see what IBU you'd expect on the recipe but you already done that, I think with adding and topping up its a little bit of guesswork but if you;re doing 50% boil volume and 50% of the DME then it should be there abouts

I think you misundersottd I was going to put the figures in brewmate to see what IBU you'd expect on the recipe but you already done that, I think with adding and topping up its a little bit of guesswork but if you;re doing 50% boil volume and 50% of the DME then it should be there abouts

Ah right- close enough will do!! Cheers mate; I am sticking with that recipe then, just got to get the ingredients now and will post when it is on the go!!

Thanks everyone for their input on this!:)

Back