First time own extract recipe- how does this look?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really appreciate all the pointers- I will think about upping the 60 mins hops then- otherwise sounds like a plan, and nothing more complex than I have done before. Thanks all! I'll see if the vanilla porter improves and drink some of that if possible, but this sounds like something I'd really enjoy brewing, and drinking!

Use this to play about with the recipe for IBUs and ABV
Beer Recipe Calculator - Brewer's Friend
Personally I would avoid using 1 kg Crystal Malt (sorry Dutto!). Someone else suggested using 200g I would go with that if you are going to add any at all, or even less. I find that Crystal Malt can be overdone and if there is too much it introduces a cloying sweetness, which certainly doesn't suit the style you are aiming for.
If you are interested, Greg Hughes Home Brew Beer has a recipe for an American IPA and there is no Crystal Malt in that, plus there is also one for a Cascade Pale Ale and that only has 235g Crystal Malt.

Personally I would avoid using 1 kg Crystal Malt (sorry Dutto!). Someone else suggested using 200g I would go with that if you are going to add any at all, or even less. I find that Crystal Malt can be overdone and if there is too much it introduces a cloying sweetness, which certainly doesn't suit the style you are aiming for.
If you are interested, Greg Hughes Home Brew Beer has a recipe for an American IPA and there is no Crystal Malt in that, plus there is also one for a Cascade Pale Ale and that only has 235g Crystal Malt.

Agreed, I wouldn't recommend anything over 12% in crystal malts as far as recipe proportions go. 33.333% is a tad too much.

Yup, i like my beers quite bitter,wouldn't go too bonkers though.That IBU is only approx as obviously i didn't know the AA of your hops,used what was suggested in B.F.

You've already got a fairly bitter hop bomb right there.
If anything I would take the 60 min addition out and increase the level of the 30 min additions so you're using a whole 100g pack each of the other two hops.

I actually have some book vouchers to spend off a pal and don't have a single brewing book- it seems most of them are for all grain and a couple which do have extract sections are very generic and don't specify types of malt; yeast; etc. I'll go 200g then and 3kg light malt extract. :thumb:

You've already got a fairly bitter hop bomb right there.
If anything I would take the 60 min addition out and increase the level of the 30 min additions so you're using a whole 100g pack each of the other two hops.

Interesting...as I say I have only ever done 2 extracts and both called for 60 min additions for bittering which is why I stuck with that. As I was planning to dry hop as well though it's already more than a single 100g pack of hops- I make it 112 of the Citra and same for Galaxy. How would it be to, instead, up the centennial for bittering- and use 100g of Citra and 100g of Galaxy? It would save buying additional packs I suppose of those hops...

Interesting...as I say I have only ever done 2 extracts and both called for 60 min additions for bittering which is why I stuck with that. As I was planning to dry hop as well though it's already more than a single 100g pack of hops- I make it 112 of the Citra and same for Galaxy. How would it be to, instead, up the centennial for bittering- and use 100g of Citra and 100g of Galaxy? It would save buying additional packs I suppose of those hops...

Swapping the Citra and Galaxy to 25g additions and leaving out the Centennial gives me 58 IBUs in Brewer's Friend - more than a Punk IPA (assuming whole hops and default AA levels for the hops).

Your 28g of Centennial @60min adds another 20 IBUs to the total - is it needed?

I actually have some book vouchers to spend off a pal and don't have a single brewing book- it seems most of them are for all grain and a couple which do have extract sections are very generic and don't specify types of malt; yeast; etc. I'll go 200g then and 3kg light malt extract. :thumb:
Greg Hughes 'Home Brew Beer' and Graham Wheeler 'Brew Your Own British Ale' both have extract conversions for some of the grain recipes. In Wheeler's book the only recipes which don't have a conversion are those which carry Torrified Wheat and that is because there is (nowadays) no diastase in ME to mash the TW.

Thanks TerryM- I have just taken a few mins to punch the recipe through there, it comes out at 55 IBU's and 5%, both of which I am happy with. The recipe is here if you (or anyone else!) wants to comment- I have checked the hop AA's from where I am going to buy them from. I added in Citra and Galaxy as bittering hops as without them, it came out at 29 IBU's and I think I'd rather push it up a bit. Halving the bittering hops to 12.5 from 25 for both leads to 44; which is Punk IPA level, which I would definitely be fine with.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/448785/baby-steps-ipa

Thanks to all for their patience and helpful hints.

Thanks TerryM- I have just taken a few mins to punch the recipe through there, it comes out at 55 IBU's and 5%, both of which I am happy with. The recipe is here if you (or anyone else!) wants to comment- I have checked the hop AA's from where I am going to buy them from. I added in Citra and Galaxy as bittering hops as without them, it came out at 29 IBU's and I think I'd rather push it up a bit. Halving the bittering hops to 12.5 from 25 for both leads to 44; which is Punk IPA level, which I would definitely be fine with.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/448785/baby-steps-ipa

Thanks to all for their patience and helpful hints.

I misread your methodology initially (thinking your were doing a full length boil with everything in it) but having re-read it, I think you need to put the amount of DME as 1.5kg in order to get the correct IBU level out of the calculator. I think the IBU's will be nearly double what you have now.

The boil gravity affects the hop utilisation with higher gravity worts extracting less AAs from the hops than thinner worts do.

I misread your methodology initially (thinking your were doing a full length boil with everything in it) but having re-read it, I think you need to put the amount of DME as 1.5kg in order to get the correct IBU level out of the calculator. I think the IBU's will be nearly double what you have now.

The boil gravity affects the hop utilisation with higher gravity worts extracting less AAs from the hops than thinner worts do.

Really? If I set it back to 1.5kg of DME; I get an IBU of over 120 and an ABV of about 3%....no doubt I am doing something daft :doh:

Really? If I set it back to 1.5kg of DME; I get an IBU of over 120 and an ABV of about 3%....no doubt I am doing something daft :doh:

You had the abv right with the initial 3kg DME calculation but the software doesn't understand that you are only adding half of that to the boil, hence the boil gravity is wrong and that throws off the IBU calculation.

So you have to do one calculation for the IBU's and another one for the OG/FG/ABV/SRM.

Try comparing your hops schedule to the one for Punk IPA (all the brewdog recipies are available via their website)

AH- I see; I think. So; the simplest way to get an IBU of 45 or so- which is virtually what I am looking for; I suppose, as that is true to American Pale style- would be to half the amounts of all the hop additions and stick to some extract in boil / some after? I am not really sure how to re-calculate what IBU's would be based on half extract in boil / half after flameout at 80c myself if the recipe builder isn't accurate via that method.

Cheers!

AH- I see; I think. So; the simplest way to get an IBU of 45 or so- which is virtually what I am looking for; I suppose, as that is true to American Pale style- would be to half the amounts of all the hop additions and stick to some extract in boil / some after? I am not really sure how to re-calculate what IBU's would be based on half extract in boil / half after flameout at 80c myself if the recipe builder isn't accurate via that method.

Cheers!

Get yourself a copy of brewmate or some software and pump your ingredients in.

to reduce IBUs try reducing your 60 min boils and that way you can keep your later hops which will pack more punch flavour wise

Not sure what the end result was but I seen the suggestion to do away with 1kg of dme in favour of 1kg of crystal, this IMO is bad advice. DME is the base of your fermentables and while crystal will add some sugars its purpose is to add flavours (caramel sweet type falvours) and do not have any diastatic power.. you are using these for flavouring prior to adding the fermentables before the boil..

Get yourself a copy of brewmate or some software and pump your ingredients in.

to reduce IBUs try reducing your 60 min boils and that way you can keep your later hops which will pack more punch flavour wise

Not sure what the end result was but I seen the suggestion to do away with 1kg of dme in favour of 1kg of crystal, this IMO is bad advice. DME is the base of your fermentables and while crystal will add some sugars its purpose is to add flavours (caramel sweet type falvours) and do not have any diastatic power.. you are using these for flavouring prior to adding the fermentables before the boil..

Thanks Covrich- I think what I will do is then stick with original plan for 3kg of DME; with some crystal; and reduce the 2 lots of 60 min hops by half to cut down the higher than I thought bitterness. I had a look at some commercial beer IBU's- including Stone Ruination which I like and is well over 100!- so I don't think the recipe will be too bitter for me to enjoy either way; but lowering it might let some of the sweetness of the malt come through which I tend to notice in the better commercial IPA's I have had.

Thanks again folks.

Thanks Covrich- I think what I will do is then stick with original plan for 3kg of DME; with some crystal; and reduce the 2 lots of 60 min hops by half to cut down the higher than I thought bitterness. I had a look at some commercial beer IBU's- including Stone Ruination which I like and is well over 100!- so I don't think the recipe will be too bitter for me to enjoy either way; but lowering it might let some of the sweetness of the malt come through which I tend to notice in the better commercial IPA's I have had.

Thanks again folks.

If you put your final recipe proposal here ill pump the numbers in my brewmate and see what it will give you and post it back if you like?

Back